Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Z's Guide to the Elemental Druid - v2.0" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #3423
Reading Topic #3423
Zarathustra
Charter Member
16-Jun-02, 00:59 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Zarathustra Click to send private message to Zarathustra Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ  
"Z's Guide to the Elemental Druid - v2.0"

LAST EDITED ON 06-16-02 AT 01:04 AM (PDT)

Hey everyone. Roland should be throwing my guide up at http://www.diablosc.com sometime soon, but I thought I'd give you the heads up here and ask for some input. I'll need to revise once more when patch v1.10 hits, I'm sure. And there are quite a few appendices I plan on adding such as important crafting recipes and runewords. But in any case, here's the latest version (updated from that which Bolty hosted at the Lounge), soon to be hosted at the DSC. It will, of course, look different, and include some graphics (more to come in a later version). Any comments/questions/input/suggestions/SOJs are welcome, as always. =o)
==============================================================

Zarathustra's Guide to the Elemental Druid
v2.0
June 9, 2002
Pertaining to v1.09 of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

"No shepherd and one herd! Everybody wants the same, everybody is the same: whoever feels different goes voluntarily into a madhouse."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Contents:
Foreword
Skill Descriptions
a. Fire Skills
b. Cold Skills
c. Summoning Skills
Strategy
a. Timers and their roles
b. Mercenaries
c. Gear Up
d. Modifying Strategy as you Progress
e. Stat points
Conclusion

Call them what you will: Elementalists, Artillery (“Arty”) Druids, or the Poor Man's Sorceress. By any name, Elemental Druids suffer from a slew of misconceptions. The majority of Battle.net seems to hold that this is a weak character, which is not viable in Hell difficulty. This is, of course, coming from the same players who will claim that any type of Druid besides a Werewolf is a waste of time.
The fact of the matter is that an Elemental Druid will never be as "über" as a Sorceress, nor will he be as high in raw, damage-dealing power as a Shapeshifting Druid. But with the proper understanding of the nature of the skills, effects of timers upon them, and the strategies involved with integrating the two, an Elemental Druid can be quite successful. Add in the use of a Vine and Spirit, the employment of a suitable Mercenary, and the understanding of which equipment will suit the character best; you have all the makings of a formidable hero; not a character that needs to party in order to be successful, but rather one that can hold his own in multiplayer games, even when playing alone.
That said, there are certain things you should not expect to see in this guide. Do not expect any descriptions of Animal Summons. They belong in a build different from that of an Artillery Druid, which is exactly what I'll be describing. The use of these summons would water down an Elemental Druid’s arsenal and draw the focus away from the spells he’s casting, due to the skillpoint investment needed to properly employ them. Look elsewhere if you're planning on a Shapeshifter. The two trees do not mix well, and I'd not suggest you use the two together on the same character. Finally, do not expect a list of “+%chance to find magic items” gear suggested. Whereas in the long run an Elemental Druid can hold his own with the Sorceress in terms of magic find, one shouldn’t worry about that until he’s finished Hell Difficulty.
This variation of Druid is not for someone looking for a “power-gaming” session where the goal is to clear the Bloody Foothills as quickly as possible then start up a new game. Nor is it suitable for those that do not enjoy taking the road less traveled - those who prefer to stay with the herd. However, If you like to march to your own beat, do somet/elricofgrans/llfaq.html|Elric's Lurker Lounge FAQ]
Elric's Guide to Cursing (Needs minor updating)

See you in Town,
Z

"No shepherd and one herd! Everybody wants the same, everybody is the same; whoever feels different goes voluntarily into a madhouse."

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
     RE: An observation... Reigns 20-Jun-02 14
  Model guide goldfish 21-Jun-02 18
  This Guy is Full of it ! Den_of_Earth 25-Jun-02 20
  RE: Z's Guide to the Elemental Druid - v2.0 jurts 22-Jul-02 21
  Great Guide... zeppelinfr34k 24-Jul-02 22
  maybe you already know, but DiabloSC shut down XOXO 27-Jul-02 23
  Nit. TheDragoon 27-Jul-02 24
     RE: Nit. Zarathustra 29-Jul-02 26
  OK, dumb question time AK404 29-Jul-02 27
     RE: OK, dumb question time Zarathustra 02-Aug-02 29
         RE: OK, dumb question time AK404 05-Aug-02 33
  Act I and Act II Strategy addendum suggestion Occhidiangela 05-Aug-02 32
     Note to Occhi and All Zarathustra 06-Aug-02 34
  Read and weep :) Faragon 06-Aug-02 36
     *drools* Zarathustra 07-Aug-02 37
         That indeed I am :-) Faragon 07-Aug-02 38
             RE: That indeed I am :-) Malbert 07-Aug-02 39
             Er... Elric of Gransadmin 07-Aug-02 40
                 Well... Faragon 07-Aug-02 41
                     Possable explanation... (vlt) Elric of Gransadmin 08-Aug-02 42
                         OOps, methinks there is a nit here Occhidiangela 08-Aug-02 43
                             You are correct: that changed in 1.47beta (nt) Elric of Gransadmin 08-Aug-02 44
  Just giving this a bump and a question: AK404 27-Aug-02 45
     RE: Just giving this a bump and a question: AtomicKitKat 27-Aug-02 46
     Give it time Zarathustra 27-Aug-02 47
         Added suggestions AK404 29-Aug-02 48

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Reigns
Charter Member
20-Jun-02, 02:06 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Reigns Click to send private message to Reigns Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
14. "RE: An observation..."
In response to message #12

One fun thing to do if you happen to have a group of mindless follower-type enemies (no no, I mean things like cows, not junior high students) is to cast armageddon and run around in a big circle around the group. This is also a blast with your old infernostride booties - you probably will get hit, so why not make them run through your fiery dust as well? When you've used your lower resist wand on the hoard and are circling them endlessly, pelting them forever with endless barrages of meteorites, them baddies will fall pretty well for you. Granted, this build works best with NO minions at all (including a spirit) but sometimes I like to drop a grizley to gather that first batch... then when he's all dried up and dead and the baddies are bunched up, commence the sprint.

I actually got that strategy from this forum originally - in the long ago and far away. In fact, I may even have gotten it from Zarathurstra. Was it you Zara? Are you guilty for my flight-to-fight fetish? I've loved it ever since.

-Reigns

goldfish
Charter Member
21-Jun-02, 12:04 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail goldfish Click to send private message to goldfish Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
18. "Model guide"
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON 06-21-02 AT 12:07 PM (PDT)

For what its worth, I would consider Monkeycid's frenzy barb guide to be an example of the ideal guide.

http://forums.theamazonbasin.com/d2/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d1377926f07ffff;act=ST;f=54;t=3431

This is what I like about it:

1. While it's a general frenzy guide, it breaks down several potential sub-genres (offensive frenzy, defensive frenzy) and skill point allocations for each.

2. I like the skill point allocation in actual points. Explanation is good, but in the end I like a succint (1 point) or (0-1 depending on build) or (10-max), etc.

Anyway, I think your guide is rather nice. It's readable, understandable, and doesn't make many of the typical mistakes (treating readers like they are idiots; expecting everyone to have super equip, etc). Good work!

Edit: One other thing---depending on how much "completeness" you want in the guide, remember that some people (me not being one of them) pvp a lot, so if there is any thing to know about pvp on this build, state that too.

-goldfish

------------

"one person's holy cow is another's quarter pounder with cheese"
-Pete

"His wife replied that is was marinated dog. My sister went pale. My brother had seconds. I tried some. Spicy and tasty. Better than the brains, not as good as the abalone."
-Occhi

Den_of_Earth
Charter Member
25-Jun-02, 12:47 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Den_of_Earth Click to send private message to Den_of_Earth Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
20. "This Guy is Full of it !"

"but rather one that can hold his own in multiplayer games, even when playing alone."

Hold his own? Are you nuts? I've seen you in action and you shred thru the mobs faster then a V1.07 WW Barb! Don't be so modest Z!

Anyway, great guide amigo. I just wrote that title to get your attention. Sorry I haven't been on-line in so long. I signed up for 3 summer school classes. What was I thinking???

Thanks for mentioning me, that's very cool!

Hasta!
Den

Den

http://slam-pit.com

jurts
Member since 28-Jun-02
22-Jul-02, 09:04 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail jurts Click to send private message to jurts Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
21. "RE: Z's Guide to the Elemental Druid - v2.0"

Sorry about being a little late, once again a great guide, just a small nits from me:

>The proper support of Summoning skills can augment your
>character; however this will require a heavy skill point
>investment. For that reason I prefer to stay away from
>Animal Summons. They simply do nothing that a Mercenary
>could not.

This is not exactly true. Even the most toughest merc cannot tank some bosses. This where the option of being able to recast your animals often and fast, becomes handy. You cannot recast your merc... without going to town... I would advocate for putting at least 1 point in grizzly, the + skill equipment will do the rest.

>Poison Creeper deserves a point as a prereq for other skills
>and as a killing aid in the beginning of an Elemental
>Druid’s life. Beyond that, I’d not suggest any points
>placed here. This skill has its moments where it may be
>helpful to halt an enemy’s natural healing - such as in any
>boss battle - but other than that is useless in the late
>game.

Uhmm... bosses do not regenerate life.

There is a great guide from Flick on Amazon Basin, it is astonishingly long, more like a Elemental Druid encyclopedia, but as I remember it was for v.1.08, I think he never upgraded it... just for a reference.

Cheers,
Jurts

zeppelinfr34k
Member since 18-Jul-02
24-Jul-02, 06:05 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail zeppelinfr34k Click to send private message to zeppelinfr34k Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
22. "Great Guide..."

I personally loved it, but I don't mind reading a lot of details about builds I may not even try (I'm weird that way). One thing tho, just a suggestion, it might be helpful if you added some sort of rating system to the skills (i.e. 3 stars out of 5 or something), just to make it more clear which ones you think are truly viable in NM and Hell. Other than that, tho, great guide, lots of helpful info w/o saying "this is what I did, therefore YOU will do it TOO "

----------------------------------------------------------
"Ok, brain, you don't like me and I don't like you, so let's just get this over
with and then I'll go back to killing you with beer." -- Homer Simpson

XOXO
Member since 24-Jul-02
27-Jul-02, 03:09 AM (GMT)
Click to add this user to your buddy list  
23. "maybe you already know, but DiabloSC shut down"

LAST EDITED ON 27-Jul-02 AT 03:09 AM (GMT)

Farewell
July 16, 2002
The DSC is shut down. I currently have no plans of reopening it. The re-birth of the Lurker Lounge has taken away any point to this site. There hasn't been a reason to update it, what with no traffic, and no real need for the site, so I haven't bothered. Now, with the LL back in full swing, there's truly no reason for this site.

I'm afraid you wont find your guide hosted on http://www.diablosc.com.

TheDragoon
Charter Member
27-Jul-02, 03:38 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail TheDragoon Click to send private message to TheDragoon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
24. "Nit."

In the "Gear Up" section you state that Wall of the Eyeless has a generic +1 to all skills. I think you mean Lidless Wall.

Now Enter TheDragoon's Realm
The UW Husky Bones
My Werebear Guide

Zarathustra
Charter Member
29-Jul-02, 06:22 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Zarathustra Click to send private message to Zarathustra Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ  
26. "RE: Nit."
In response to message #24

Whoops. =o) Will fix. Thanks bud.

See you in Town,
Z

"No shepherd and one herd! Everybody wants the same, everybody is the same; whoever feels different goes voluntarily into a madhouse."

AK404
Charter Member
29-Jul-02, 08:59 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail AK404 Click to send private message to AK404 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
27. "OK, dumb question time"

LAST EDITED ON 02-Aug-02 AT 02:10 AM (GMT)

Ugh, really dumb question. OK, here's what I gotta know, Z. How did you turn your ele into a killing machine? I'm having more than a few problems hammering this idea into my brain...

"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue."
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Zarathustra
Charter Member
02-Aug-02, 06:24 PM (GMT)
29. "RE: OK, dumb question time"
In response to message #27

AK404,

How's it going? Well, the complete runedown is level...

44 Armageddon
43 Hurricane
43 Arctic Blast
32 Cyclone Armor
25 Oak Sage (created before anyone knew about the bug)

He's got a very ecclectic kit going in terms of gear, including v1.08 crafted boots (elite caster), shield (+1 Druid, +35% resist all), and ring (+1 Druid, fire resist, life replenish). Old v1.08 Skullder's that he found in the Glacial Trail, lots of Gaean gear. And I've steadily collected charms.

If you're ever on USWest, I could always drop into a game with you and let you take a look at his setup.

See you in Town,
Z

AK404
Charter Member
05-Aug-02, 11:21 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail AK404 Click to send private message to AK404 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
33. "RE: OK, dumb question time"
In response to message #29

Ah, I took a different route...

34 Hurricane (max, still looking for +skills stuff)
35 Volcano
14 Cyclone (thanks to +skills)
15 Oak Sage
15 Dire Wolf (using a bear as a tank)

Right now I'm just about finished with pumping volcano and am thinking about pumping my spam skill. At first, I was thinking Tornado, but the more and more I think about it, the more sense Arctic Blast seems to make.

"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue."
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Occhidiangela
Charter Member
05-Aug-02, 07:41 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Occhidiangela Click to send private message to Occhidiangela Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
32. "Act I and Act II Strategy addendum suggestion"

Given the shortcomings of the Elemental Druid before his better skills arrive, consider two bottled elements in the first two acts as supplements to his earliest skills.

Poison Pots: Levels 6 and 16

Fire Pots: Levels 6 and 16 IIRC

Uber, no, but these drop with considerable frequency throughout the first two acts. They have no To Hit that I know of, just judicious aim by the Druid. A little practice makes targeting easy. Both provide 'elemental' damage, so they stay within the theme. Easy to use, no one else seems to pick those pots up, and if one is in a multi player setting, swarms take poison damage in groups.

By Level 18 to 24 . . . they start to lose their punch, but of course the Druid starts to get a a little more with his better skills.

For your consideration.

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!

Zarathustra
Charter Member
06-Aug-02, 07:32 AM (GMT)
34. "Note to Occhi and All"
In response to message #32

This would also enable a Druid to stay out of melee combat, which I've found time and again I am stuck with when playing an Elemental Druid. In those early levels, it's true that more often than not you'll be thwacking enemies across the head, since it's faster than Firestorm (and doesn't cost mana).

Thanks for the addition, Occhi. I'll be sure to add it.

Everyone else, I can't express how happy I am to have such a good turnout with the replies. Expect many alterations to the guide (which will be retained in its current version in this post) in the future. It will most likely be officially hosted here at the Lounge approximately one week after the v1.10 patch hits. I need some time to adapt it and add in a few new features such as:

Useful Runeword Listing
Crafting Cheat-Sheet
damage/slvl tables for Elemental Skills (and the few mentioned summoning skills)
Screenshots of various skills/tactics, most likely in the form of thumbnails that can be clicked on for a large version.

Stay tuned, and keep coming with the feedback. I really appreciate it.

See you in Town,
Z

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
06-Aug-02, 10:16 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Faragon Click to send private message to Faragon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
36. "Read and weep :)"

First of all, excellent job on the guide Zara! Experiences with Ele-Mental, my elementaldruid, have shown pretty much the same picture you give in the guide. This style kicks ass

Furthermore, I gotta take this opportunity to post my latest find. When Cain showed me what I had found, I felt I had just bodyslammed Murphy!

Storm Mark (Appropriate no?)
Rare Amulet
Required Level: 50
Level 1 Teleport <22/22 Charges>
+17 to Attack Rating
+20 Strength
Fire Resistance 10%
Damage Reduced by 3
+2 to Elemental Skills

Except for the +Strenght, +skills and teleport it's pretty much crap, but those 3 make this amulet good enough for me If only it had some more resists, then I'd have made Murphy regret the day I was born

It doesn't matter wether you run or fight, you're either judged as the coward or the fool.

Zarathustra
Charter Member
07-Aug-02, 06:16 AM (GMT)
37. "*drools*"
In response to message #36

I'm still working on improving Weissach's Cirlcet and Amulet after all this time, as right now his circlet is a Gaean with some poison damage, and amulet is Gaean with +10 Energy. But that rare amulet is quite a find. =o)

Please tell me you're going to personalize it.

"Ele-Mental's Storm Mark"....very nice. =o)

See you in Town,
Z

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
07-Aug-02, 07:42 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Faragon Click to send private message to Faragon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
38. "That indeed I am :-)"
In response to message #37

No Triangle

It doesn't matter wether you run or fight, you're either judged as the coward or the fool.

Malbert
Member since 31-Jul-02
07-Aug-02, 09:03 AM (GMT)
Click to send private message to Malbert Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
39. "RE: That indeed I am :-)"
In response to message #38

I've foun a +3 Elem Druid +98 life amu,
it should be great for a new elemental
druid, right ?

Elric of Gransadmin
Charter Member
07-Aug-02, 11:18 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Elric%20of%20Grans Click to send private message to Elric%20of%20Grans Click to add this user to your buddy list  
40. "Er..."
In response to message #38

Hail Faragon,

I was under the impression you could not presonalise Jewelry: I have tried to do it before, that it would not accept the items from me.

In reply to the question below, that amulet would be useless to a new Druid as they could not meet the clvl requirement, but I'll tell you what, my clvl60 Druid would have a fit if something like that dropped

May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Elric's Lurker Lounge Etiquette
Elric's Lurker Lounge FAQ
Elric's Guide for the Not-So-Elite
Elric's Glade (Updated 25/07)

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
07-Aug-02, 10:36 PM (GMT)
41. "Well..."
In response to message #40

It's been a while since I personalized 'anything', but I think you might be right. Why is this? It doesn't make much sense now does it?

Guess I'll just have to write my name on it myself. Anybody got a pen?

Elric of Gransadmin
Charter Member
08-Aug-02, 01:02 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Elric%20of%20Grans Click to send private message to Elric%20of%20Grans Click to add this user to your buddy list  
42. "Possable explanation... (vlt)"
In response to message #41

Hail Faragon,

I suspect it uses the same checks as the Imbue Screen: Jewelry cannot be placed on either screen.

May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Elric's Lurker Lounge Etiquette
Elric's Lurker Lounge FAQ
Elric's Guide for the Not-So-Elite
Elric's Glade (Updated 25/07)

Occhidiangela
Charter Member
08-Aug-02, 04:53 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Occhidiangela Click to send private message to Occhidiangela Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
43. "OOps, methinks there is a nit here"
In response to message #42

From your FAZ:

"Magic Resistance, can I...?
Conviction will not reduce Magic resistance, but since 1.09 Lower Resistance can bring it down once more - note that it will not work on Magic Immune createres. As for player Magical Resistance, it is always 0% in Normal, -50% in Nightmare and -100% in Hell difficulty, and it cannot be boosted by items that grant Resistance to All - they only boost resistance to Fire, Cold, Lightning and Poison damage"

As I recall, this changed during the Beta. I did not think that in LoD the penalty was applied anymore. The roguish memory may be fuzzy here.

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!

Elric of Gransadmin
Charter Member
08-Aug-02, 10:25 PM (GMT)
44. "You are correct: that changed in 1.47beta (nt)"
In response to message #43

AK404
Charter Member
27-Aug-02, 06:22 PM (GMT)
45. "Just giving this a bump and a question:"

So when's this going to be posted on the LL as a full-fledged guide? Is it not done yet?

- Yamamoto Tsunetomo

AtomicKitKat
Member since 9-Jan-03
27-Aug-02, 06:26 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail AtomicKitKat Click to send private message to AtomicKitKat Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
46. "RE: Just giving this a bump and a question:"
In response to message #45

I coulda sworn I saw this linked up somewhere, other than just in this post. *ba-bump!*

*A spark, then a flashing brilliance, with the accompaniment of the divine orchestra.*

Have a nuke-u-ler break, have an AtomicKitKat!

Zarathustra
Charter Member
27-Aug-02, 06:45 PM (GMT)
47. "Give it time"
In response to message #45

If I wanted to, I could get the thing finished up in a couple days, copmlete with the extra features I wish to add. Unfortunatetly, it'd most likely need heavy revision of all the statistics once v1.10 hits. So expect to see this as an official guide a week or so after v1.10. =o)

See you in Town,
Z

AK404
Charter Member
29-Aug-02, 04:55 PM (GMT)
48. "Added suggestions"
In response to message #47

Added tip on Carrion Vine and Solar Creeper: Hotkey them. An elemental druid doesn't have enough effective elemental skills to fill out all 12 hotkeys, and quick switch between life and mana regeneration is always handy. In fact, it's what makes my druid so effective and efficient: he's used maybe ten potions from level 40-75, and seven of those were for the merc. While running my ele-sum druid, I often use Volcano and a Solar Creeper while hiding behind my bear and hireling, but when I need to move around to use Armageddon and Hurricane (like when I'm surrounded and need to run and cause damage at the same time), I automatically switch to Carrion Vine because I know I'm going to get hit, the Carrion Vine is more durable than a Solar Creeper, and as soon as I find a safe spot, I switch to Solar as soon as I regain enough life.

Added on weapons: a suggested toy would be the Suicide Branch. +1 skills, Increases Maximum Mana by 10%, prismatic resists, and 50% Faster Cast!

Oh yeah, one more thing. Can you jot down the faster cast breakpoints for the druid, or at least give a link to an article that does have them? It'd be most handy.

- Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic