Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "The Inferno Sorceress; a guide to BBQ in Sanctuary" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #3449
Reading Topic #3449
reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
14-Jul-02, 11:55 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail reBew Click to send private message to reBew Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
"The Inferno Sorceress; a guide to BBQ in Sanctuary"

LAST EDITED ON 07-15-02 AT 04:50 AM (PDT)

EDITED: I added the tips on strategy and position that YZilla posted. Hope he doesn't mind.
EDITED: Added some info under equipment.
EDITED: Changed the preferred gloves from Frostburn to Magefist.
EDITED: Added a section covering the mercenaries. Probably not complete.

Hi, I just registered today, so I thought I might as well say something useful in my first post here. Hope you think so too.

In my time playing Diablo 2 (LoD), I have created and played about 4 Inferno sorceress' and 1 Blaze sorc (Blaze was brought to my attention when reading these forums some days ago in a post by Brista I think ). I believe I have some tips wich could prove useful to others who want to play the Inferno sorc, and it's always nice to see other people provide tips too, so if you have anything you think needs to be said on the topic, don't hesitate!

On to the main part of this post:

The Inferno sorceress is really powerful in normal mode and nightmare mode, more so if she focuses on leveling her Inferno and Fire Mastery to max before anything else. Only exceptions here are Frost Nova and Static Field, both which are really usefull skills.

Skill selection and layout:

Inferno - 20 points (pretty obvious I should think)
Fire Mastery - 20 points (again, without Fire Mastery, Inferno cant really kill that fast )
Frost Nova - 20 points (This one might sound a bit strange to some, but I find the cold duration really handy. And it's high enough even in hell!)
Static Field - 10 points (this is enough, since you will have some skills, and lvl 12 extends to nearly the whole screen.)
Warmth - 5 points (That nice Leaf staff wil give you 6-9 anyway, so why spend more points here?)
Teleport - 1 point (nice escape route, and overall useful to move fast.)

(Maybe a single point in cold mastery, if resistance has any effect on the duration of Frost Nova.)

(This is how my skill layout for my current sorceress will look at lvl 70 or so. At that point I'll choose a support spell for Inferno to get past those nasty fire immunes in hell.)

I'll explain why I chose to put so many points (or points at all) into Frost Nova:
It's mainly because I don't like mercenaries, they draw the attention of unwanted monsters, they die all the time and so on (at least thats my experience with them). And without a Holy Freeze mercenarie, is there any better way to get this long freeze duration in a single casting? No, I don't think so.
Anyway, if you like mercenaries, go with the Holy Freeze mercenarie from act 2 NM and put the 20 skillpoints spent here on another skill of you choice (Thunderstorm and Blizzard come to mind).

On to statpoint allocation:

Strength: Enough to wear the equipment you have chosen. I chose 60 strength, just enough to wear Frostburn.
Dexterity: Base. Unless of course you like the look of shields and are willing to trade some skills for a better looks.
Vitality: All the points not spent elsewhere. Health is always handy, and one can never have enough.
Energy: 100 points will be enough. At high levels even 50 points here would be enough, so you could rely on energy items and mana items to give you sufficient energy.

Facts about equipment:

For low levels it's useful to have equipment which gives mana regeneration and mana/energy. The Stealth bodyarmor is one of the most useful low level runewords for this type of char, since it helps regenerate mana and makes you run faster.
And remember; skills is your best friend! The more the better, and try to get you Inferno lvl up around lvl 30. Your Mastery just has to be lvl 25 or so, but more is better.

The equipment of choice for the experienced monster roaster:

Head: Peasant Crown, Circlet with 2 skills (Anything with skills and mana/mana regeneration. There are better choices than Peasant Crown, but I'm not rich.)
Body: Que-Haegan's Wisdom (It has skills, energy, mana/kill and decent defence. Overall nice for the not too rich of us )
Weapon: Leaf runeword with 9 Inferno (This should be the most obvious part of my equipment selection.)
Boots: Faster run/walk boots are always handy. Choose a pair you like.
Gloves: Magefist
Belt: Gloomstrap (A good belt with mana regeneration, 15% mana and 15 vitality. Not to be underestimated. )
Amulet: Any amulet with skills (I'm using a 1 fire skills right now. Sadly I haven't found that 3 fire skills yet.)
Rings: Dual Stone of Jordan (Has both skills and % mana)

Mercenaries, your personal assistant in keeping the meat from moving:

Act 1 Rogue Mercs: I don't really think these would be udeful, since they can't tank, and thereby can't keep the enemies of your back.

Act 2 Desert Warriors: There are to of these I would consider; the Defiance merc (the one which adds to defence) and the Holy Freeze. Of these two, the Holy Freeze would definately be the most useful to keep the monsters in your fire.

Act 3 Iron Wolves: Maybe a cold Iron Wolf would be a little useful while still in normal mode, but once you are moving on to nightmare, be sure to hire a Holy Freeze or Defiance merc from act 2.

Act 5 Barbarians: These are good tanks and mainly for drawing the attention of monsters and drawing a crowd around him. That is pretty useful, if you manage to get him to draw a crowd and he survives it, since your Inferno will then have no trouble at all hiting the more than one monster at a time.

Strategies for fighting:

Up until lvl 7 where you have both Inferno and Frost Nova, just hack away at the monsters with your staff. It's faster than Firebolt.

The main thing to consider when playing a inferno sorceress is position; you want to keep the enemy in the flame for as long as possible.
Always try to align yourself with the target along one of the map axis, and have the enemy walk toward you in a straight line.
Use doorways to channel monsters into a line whenever possible, and don't hesitate to use teleport to realign yourself.

When swarmed by monsters (this means not playing in a party), cast Frost Nova and then roast them. In nightmare and hell difficulty, throw in 5 times Static Field before roasting them, and check if they're fire immune.
If they are, well, use you backup spell and pray that they aren't immune to that one too.

(That pretty much sums up what strategies I use for my Inferno sorcs. Input from you would be nice.)

That was my mini guide to the Inferno Sorceress. Hope you like it and will give some nice tips on what to include.
If it gets big enough, maybe I'll send it in to DiabloII.net to make it a cookie cutter build. MWuhahahahahaaaaaa.
Then again, maybe not.

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
  One addition (sure more are to come) Zarathustra 14-Jul-02 1
     RE: One addition (sure more are to come) reBew 14-Jul-02 4
  Eh, so-so. pakman 14-Jul-02 2
     RE: Eh, so-so. reBew 14-Jul-02 6
         OT Omni 15-Jul-02 18
             RE: OT reBew 16-Jul-02 26
                 RE: OT CowInvader 18-Jul-02 31
                     RE: OT reBew 19-Jul-02 32
  Ahh, yes... YZilla 14-Jul-02 3
  Ah, the Inferno Sorc. Faragon 14-Jul-02 5
     RE: Ah, the Inferno Sorc. reBew 14-Jul-02 7
         Crumbly old Leidammer Faragon 14-Jul-02 11
             RE: Crumbly old Leidammer reBew 15-Jul-02 13
                 On crowdcontrol skills. Faragon 15-Jul-02 16
                     RE: On crowdcontrol skills. reBew 15-Jul-02 19
                         Perhaps Faragon 16-Jul-02 20
                 RE: Crumbly old Leidammer Mephista 16-Jul-02 22
                     RE: Crumbly old Leidammer reBew 16-Jul-02 25
  Hmm... Elric of Gransadmin 14-Jul-02 8
     He'll do it too, reBew!! Yrrek 14-Jul-02 9
  we cant forget to point out Haynen 14-Jul-02 10
     Except for one thing. Faragon 14-Jul-02 12
         in hardcore Haynen 15-Jul-02 15
     RE: we cant forget to point out Mephista 16-Jul-02 23
         RE: we cant forget to point out reBew 16-Jul-02 24
             RE:RE: we cant forget to point out Haynen 17-Jul-02 30
  RE: The Inferno Sorceress; a guide to BBQ in Sanctuary reBew 15-Jul-02 14
     Reply Faragon 15-Jul-02 17
         RE: Reply reBew 16-Jul-02 28
  You on East? goldfish 16-Jul-02 21
     RE: You on East? reBew 16-Jul-02 27
     RE: You on East? Yrrek 16-Jul-02 29

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Zarathustra
Charter Member
14-Jul-02, 12:51 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Zarathustra Click to send private message to Zarathustra Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ  
1. "One addition (sure more are to come)"
In response to message #0

reBew,

There are quite a few players in here that have played an Inferno Sorc, actually. Elric and I had a huge discussion on them a while back, but its location eludes me (one of the archivists in here might have a link).

In any case, good start on the guide. But one of the first things I noticed is that you only suggest putting 5 points into Warmth. Now, I've played an Inferno Sorc, but I ONLY used Inferno to attack. My other skills were Warmth and Fire Mastery (yes, it was a rough time parking enemies in the Throneroom). I found that Warmth was essential to keeping the mana flowing. Otherwise, you run out in no time. Inferno is definiteyl one of the more mana-hungry skills in the game.

Aside from that, definitely a good start on your guide. Might want to add in that Circlets can have +2 skills, as I've come by more of those than I have Peasant Crowns.

See you in Town,
Z

"No shepherd and one herd! Everybody wants the same, everybody is the same; whoever feels different goes voluntarily into a madhouse."

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
14-Jul-02, 02:24 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail reBew Click to send private message to reBew Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: One addition (sure more are to come)"
In response to message #1

Strange that you say you were running out of mana often. I have but 100 points into energy and 5 or 6 into warmth (its actively on 14 because of +skills) and I never run dry. The nearest I've come is to get really low, but my mana bowl is full in something like 35 seconds (just timed it), so I barely use potions at all anymore.

Like you, my only attack is Inferno. Ok, maybe not purely, but I can have Inferno running constantly for about 30 seconds (I just timed that too ), and so far the only things I have met that could stand 30 seconds of Inferno dam. 1050/sec are some of the tougher boss monsters.
Anyway, when I'm using static to get them down to half health first its even less of a problem for my mana.

Due to my items I have 677 mana, but without them I would only have 287. So if you don't use as many +mana/energy items as me, put a few more points of warmth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning what you know about Inferno sorcs, I just have a different experience with them.

pakman
Charter Member
14-Jul-02, 12:56 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail pakman Click to send private message to pakman Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
2. "Eh, so-so."

What are some alternate items for those who are extremely poor for the moment, i.e. me? What about using FO for a good cold duration and some damage for those pesky immunes? Any points into ES because you will be getting hit a lot?

Why not go for a A3 fire merc that also has inferno, and see who can start a BBQ the fastest, kinda like they did at Purdue, but they tried lighting it with LOX. Plus it would look pretty cool to have two infernos going that went across the screen.

--------------------------------------------
If I was psychic, I'd be rich.

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
14-Jul-02, 02:47 PM (GMT)
6. "RE: Eh, so-so."
In response to message #2

LAST EDITED ON 07-14-02 AT 02:55 PM (PDT)

Hmmmm... Well, a Leaf staff isn't at all hard to get, since most people more than willingly give you both Tir and Ral runes if you ask politely. The runes aren't hard to find by yourself if you don't like begging. The hardest part is finding the 2-socketed staff with +3 Inferno in it. But try looking at Drognan act 2 and Akara in act 1. If you look long enough one of them WILL have it. I got mine that way.

Stealth Armor, like I suggested in the "guide", is a good alternative to Que-Haegans, and cheap and easy to make. You could also try Spirit Shroud if you badly need the +skills. It's traded for about 10-20 chipped on D2.net Marketplace I think.

Frostburns can be traded for about 10 chipped gems on the Diabloii.net marketplace, so no problem there.

Sanders Riprap boots (40% faster run/walk) are pretty cheap too, about the same as Frostburn I should think.

For a helmet you could use a 3-socketed one with 3 perfect Sapphires in it to gain a mana boost.
Even the Peasant Crown is cheap on D2.net Marketplace. I think I got mine for 10 chipped gems, so no excuse for not having one!

There are lots of possibilities.

As for the merc; I guess thats just preference. I don't like mercs, as I stated, which is why (is that correct? I'm not english, so tell me if some sentences seem strange to you natives ) I used points in Frost Nova.
On the Fire act 3 merc, I just don't think it would work. You would be killing faster than him anyway, so he wouldn't be of any other use than cannon fodder. And besides, when choosing a merc for this type of sorc, I would go with the Holy Freeze one from act 2 NM and spend the points from Frost nova on Thunderstorm or Blizzard.

On Frozen Orb; I think one would be too tempted to use Frozen Orb all the time instead of just against FI's, so that's why I'm not advising people to go that way. We wouldn't like a cold dinner, would we?

Omni
Charter Member
15-Jul-02, 11:12 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Omni Click to send private message to Omni Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ  
18. "OT"
In response to message #6

"I'm not english, so tell me if some sentences seem strange to you natives"

Actually, your english is close to perfect, better than that of a lot "natives". I'd never have known it wasn't your first language if you hadn't said something about it.

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
16-Jul-02, 05:34 PM (GMT)
26. "RE: OT"
In response to message #18

LAST EDITED ON 16-Jul-02 AT 06:07 PM (GMT)

Thanks a lot, I'm doing my best. Considering that I'm only 16 years, I take that as a huge compliment, but still with a little skepticism (spelling? Oh well, you know what I mean, right?).

CowInvader
Charter Member
18-Jul-02, 10:47 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail CowInvader Click to send private message to CowInvader Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
31. "RE: OT"
In response to message #26

>Considering that I'm only 16 years,

It should be 16 years old... we are wierd like that..

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
19-Jul-02, 00:08 AM (GMT)
32. "RE: OT"
In response to message #31

No need to check everyone of my posts for spelling errors etc.

But thanks for telling me anyway...

YZilla
Charter Member
14-Jul-02, 12:58 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail YZilla Click to send private message to YZilla Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "Ahh, yes..."

The inferno Sorceress...

I had one in softcore a long while back, and it was a blast to play.

Having CB as my alternate spell, I recieved some very interesting reactions in public games.

The main thing to consider when playing a inferno sorceress is position; you want to keep the enemy in the flame for as long as possible.
Always try to align yourself with the target along one of the map axis, and have the enemy walk toward you in a straight line.
Use doorways to channel monsters into a line whenever possible, and don't hesitate to use teleport to realign yourself.

A holy freeze merc is very useful in this kind of build, since the aura will slow the enemy down to keep them frying longer, and is a decent tank.

No matter what your choice of strategy, however, it all basically comes down to keeping your target inside the flame as long as possible, either by making them stationary (tank, freeze) or by having them move towards you while inside the flame.

As for my own Inferno/CB sorceress, I had to retire her at Act1 Hell. Having two primary skills that were both below lvl6 in the skill tree, I just couldn't dish out enough damage to kill.
Although Blood Moor and Cold Plain was no problem, Stony field was simply impossible since half the monster was Fire immune, and the other half Lightning Immune.

This signature intentionally blank

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
14-Jul-02, 02:36 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Faragon Click to send private message to Faragon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
5. "Ah, the Inferno Sorc."

One of three sorceresses I can make myself play. (the others being Melee and ChargedBolt, I'm not really the spellcaster type.)

Magefist is way superior to Frostburn. The +1 to fireskills adds not only to inferno, but also to firemastery. 40% added mana is nice, but I've found that with a little warmth, you can grill anything till it's way beyond well done. Magefist will add 25% to regeneration (last time I checked anyway) which is nice. If you dual SoJ, then frostburn is completely unneeded, because then with a base mana and some regen, you'll have more you can ever fire.

You certainly don't need static field, if you simply use some good tactics like Widespread Inferno, Move-Shoot-Move, Chokepoints, the works, you will grill most things before they come close. Whatever comes close, will have to pack a big punch to interrupt your spell, unless you haven't pumped vitality. Pumping Vit is important, because a foe needs to hit with a damage equal to a twelfth of your max vit to be able to interrupt your attack. If he isn't able to do that, you can keep roasting him.

The Holy Freeze mercenary is by way the most usefull mercenary indeed, this will prevent you from having to spend much points in FrostNova on later difficulties. Points better put in ChargedBolt as a backupskill. (for those pesky Phys/Fire Immunes) With those three elements (Phys/Fire/Light), a tank, holyfreeze, you will never EVER have to use a cheesy skill like StaticField. If you play your cards right that is.

Good luck with your guide.

It doesn't matter wether you run or fight, you're either judged as the coward or the fool.

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
14-Jul-02, 03:04 PM (GMT)
7. "RE: Ah, the Inferno Sorc."
In response to message #5

I don't like you calling Static Field cheesy. I think it's far too useful to be called anything like that, and besides, my guide is more of a no-merc Inferno sorc guide, so all help you can get in killing monsters before they approach is good. And it spares a bit of mana with each casting. Call it the matches to ignite the BBQ if you will.

My next Inferno sorc will surely be using a Holy Freeze merc, don't worry. It's just that I generally don't like the mercs.

I will try the Magefists. It's already something I had thought of, I just didn't have a pair and I didn't feel like trading. But I think I'll see if I can find a pair somewhere on the D2.net marketplace. I'm pretty sure your right about them being superior to Frostburn if your using Dual SoJs, but I'm not right now, since I don't have any yet. Like I said, I'm poor.

Maybe my unid Lycanders Aim (found by my Inferno sorc, btw) will hand me a SoJ, maybe not...

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
14-Jul-02, 10:53 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Faragon Click to send private message to Faragon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
11. "Crumbly old Leidammer"
In response to message #7

LAST EDITED ON 07-14-02 AT 10:55 PM (PDT)

Cheese.

>I don't like you calling Static Field cheesy. I think
>it's far too useful to be called anything like that, and
>besides, my guide is more of a no-merc Inferno sorc guide,
>so all help you can get in killing monsters before they
>approach is good. And it spares a bit of mana with each
>casting. Call it the matches to ignite the BBQ if you will.

I've spent quite some time with the Inferno Sorc, and found that Static Field makes this character a cookiecutter, instead of the cool variant you play with purely Inferno and Crowdcontrolskills. StaticField makes any character a cookiecutter, even my MeleeSorc was overpowered with it, well as far as MeleeSorces can be overpowered that is

>My next Inferno sorc will surely be using a Holy Freeze
>merc, don't worry. It's just that I generally don't like
>the mercs.

Your personal preferences aside, if you want to make a guide, it's not about what you like or don't like. You can put that in your guide, but to have a good, solid guide, you have to lay out all the options for a gamer. Give your opinion about them or advice, but don't leave em out completely.

And I second Elric's note. This build is too much fun to be made into a cookiecutter.

It doesn't matter wether you run or fight, you're either judged as the coward or the fool.

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
15-Jul-02, 04:32 AM (GMT)
13. "RE: Crumbly old Leidammer"
In response to message #11

LAST EDITED ON 07-15-02 AT 04:35 AM (PDT)

True enough. Although I think I did point out, that if you are going with a merc, pick Holy Freeze and put the points from Frost nova into some other skill to support your Inferno when it hits immune monsters.
Maybe I should make sure that it's easier to see? Or is it that you don't WANT to see it.

You say crowdcontrol skills. I simply can't find any other skills than Frost Nova that match that description. Maybe Thunderstorm could be called crowdcontrol.

EDITED: I just noticed that you've already written a guide to the Inferno sorc, although it is a bit outdated. Guess I should pay more attention to your wise words.

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
15-Jul-02, 10:19 AM (GMT)
16. "On crowdcontrol skills."
In response to message #13

Crowdcontrolskills includes more than the sorcies set skills. It includes lining foes up, chokepointing, etc.

True enough. Although I think I did point out, that if you are going with a merc, pick Holy Freeze and put the points from Frost nova into some other skill to support your Inferno when it hits immune monsters. Maybe I should make sure that it's easier to see? Or is it that you don't WANT to see it.

Sorry, hadn't read that edited original post for the second time.

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
15-Jul-02, 11:15 AM (GMT)
19. "RE: On crowdcontrol skills."
In response to message #16

LAST EDITED ON 07-15-02 AT 11:18 AM (PDT)

Is ok, It's a pretty long read (and maye a little confusing) to just read it over and over again each time you reply to it.

On the crowdcontrol; Well, basically that's another type of skills, playing skills. Using the area to place yourself correctly and to maximise the effect of various D2 skills isn't what I'm thinking of when using the word skills in connection to Diablo 2.

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
16-Jul-02, 10:48 AM (GMT)
20. "Perhaps"
In response to message #19

we should call them playing techniques. That should prevent some miscommunication...

Mephista
Charter Member
16-Jul-02, 03:44 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Mephista Click to send private message to Mephista Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
22. "RE: Crumbly old Leidammer"
In response to message #13

>You say crowdcontrol skills. I simply can't find any other
>skills than Frost Nova that match that description. Maybe
>Thunderstorm could be called crowdcontrol.

Are we completely overlooking glacial spike here? Its freeze duration might be insignificant in Hell difficulty, but until then it keeps things still better than any other sorcie skill. That might be a reason to get an iron wolf, since you'd have a dedicated source of spikes. I hear that that the wolves with about 70% fast cast can actually be somewhat effective. Another use of glacial spike with large crowds is that if you spike the front row of the crowd, the whole group gets backed up against the cold ones, and takes a bit to unstick after the freeze wears off.

The only experience I've had with inferno sorcies is on Seven Lances, where umm... she had no problem killing things, but if anything got near her she was, so to speak, toast. It was great fun though. =)

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
16-Jul-02, 05:32 PM (GMT)
25. "RE: Crumbly old Leidammer"
In response to message #22

Hmmm... will have to try that some time. Maybe a Glacial Spike and Fireball sorc? That definitely sounds like a challenge.

Well, that happens after I have remade my old Javatank, and created my new (hopefully) never tried before druid build.

Elric of Gransadmin
Charter Member
14-Jul-02, 06:28 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Elric%20of%20Grans Click to send private message to Elric%20of%20Grans Click to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "Hmm..."

Hail reBew,

The thread Zarathustra mentions...I used to keep a link to it, but I accidentally nuked all my bookmarks the other week - forgot to copy them across when I formatted! Well, if you search THIS forum for 'Inferno' you'll likely find a dozen instances where I have linked people to it, as well as much strategy discussion. Indeed, there has been so much in the past, I do not believe I have anything new to add.

Personally I disagree with the slvl20 Frost Nova - slvl5 is as much as I'd recommend anyone - but if that is what you prefer, who am I to say it's wrong?

PS Make this a cookie cutter, and I'll cook you

May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Elric's Lurker Lounge Posting Etiquette
Elric's Lurker Lounge FAQ
Elric's Guide for the not-so Elite
Elric's Guide to Cursing

Yrrek
Charter Member
14-Jul-02, 08:45 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Yrrek Click to send private message to Yrrek Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
9. "He'll do it too, reBew!!"
In response to message #8

Watch your back!

Is the bean dizzy?

Haynen
Charter Member
14-Jul-02, 08:50 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Haynen Click to send private message to Haynen Click to add this user to your buddy list  
10. "we cant forget to point out"

That inferno is probably the only sorc build that can be played going all vit with cheap equipment
Obviously perfect for hc

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
14-Jul-02, 10:57 PM (GMT)
12. "Except for one thing."
In response to message #10

Resistances. The Inferno Sorc is a pretty much stationary character. You don't want to interrupt your inferno just to dogde elemental damage some ranged attacker throws at you. Resistances are crucial in my opinion. Then again, it's not that hard to come around a bit of resistance...

Haynen
Charter Member
15-Jul-02, 09:56 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Haynen Click to send private message to Haynen Click to add this user to your buddy list  
15. "in hardcore"
In response to message #12

Max resists are pretty much given except of course your playing a variant that wouldnt allow it.

Mephista
Charter Member
16-Jul-02, 04:02 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Mephista Click to send private message to Mephista Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
23. "RE: we cant forget to point out"
In response to message #10

I disagree here. Muchly. I do believe inferno requires mana, and a significant amount of it. Not sure if I'd want to play an inferno sorcie in hardcore. I might try it just to prove myself wrong though. I bet something like a hydra/blizzard sorc would be the variety that doesn't need mana gear... Or hydra and thunderstorm...

I was also wondering, is manashield a good thing for the inferno sorc? Can the build withstand two constant drains of mana?

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
16-Jul-02, 05:29 PM (GMT)
24. "RE: we cant forget to point out"
In response to message #23

I agree with you here, but only slightly. An Inferno sorc actually doesn't need as much mana (energy that is) a one would expect, simply because the natural mana regenerationrate is still in effect while using Inferno, thus lowering the manacost for Inferno.

At higher levels I think 50 Energy would be enough, but only if one has enough +energy/mana equipment (SoJ, Que-Haegans/Stealth, etc.) and +mana regeneration items.

My Inferno sorc only has 100 points into energy, and practically never runs dry before killing a huge crowd (that's in NM, let's see how she fares in hell ).

Haynen
Charter Member
17-Jul-02, 05:23 AM (GMT)
30. "RE:RE: we cant forget to point out"
In response to message #24

The key to going base energy is controlling the level of your inferno and using mana boosting items obviously, and lots and lots of mana potions
Its rough starting out and you kinda need frostburns over magefist but eventually your mana pool will grow to be suficient
Then again havent played hc inferno sorc passed nm so I cant say anything about viability

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
15-Jul-02, 05:12 AM (GMT)
14. "RE: The Inferno Sorceress; a guide to BBQ in Sanctuary"

LAST EDITED ON 07-15-02 AT 05:15 AM (PDT)

I'm seeing that maybe I'm not the type of guide maker, since I like playing many different and possibly (well, hopefully) strange builds. I don't think this will be used or even is any use to other people than me (I did learn some new things about the Inferno sorc while creating then one I'm playing).
Anyway, thanks for the input. Keep it coming if you like, and let's see if we can turn it into a "flamewar" (get it? ). Or we could just argue back and forth over the skillchoices.

Also, I'm feeling the urge to play some new strange type of character. Don't know which yet, but I'm probalby just gonna look at Chippydips skillguide for ideas.

Faragon
Member since 9-Jan-03
15-Jul-02, 11:01 AM (GMT)
17. "Reply"
In response to message #14

You will learn most things as you try stuff out, and that includes in writing guides. As you write you will learn, by feedback from other players. Anyone can be a good guideswriter, as long as their info is correct and to date, complete, and they provide all options for the reader to decide and not be like "this rules, this sucks"

I like playing wacky characters (MeleeSorc / Teethnecro / InfernoSorc / SingingBarb / SwordAmazon / ClericalPaladin / PoisonDaggerNecro / SmiterPaladin / ChargedBoltress / MartyrPaladin / ElementalDruid / CurseNecro / ETC) perhaps one of these is what you are looking for?

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
16-Jul-02, 05:43 PM (GMT)
28. "RE: Reply"
In response to message #17

LAST EDITED ON 16-Jul-02 AT 05:44 PM (GMT)

> Anyone can be a good guideswriter, as long as their info is correct > and to date, complete, and they provide all options for the reader > to decide and not be like "this rules, this sucks".

I hope you don't think I tried (or mean to do if I did) to say something like "Frost Nova rules, Mercs suck". Anyway, I've learned that I will have to state things with a little more care (and having more options included), and maybe I'll try writing a mini-guide again some time.

On the variant builds you posted; I think I already have an idea for my next 3 characters, but thanks for your ideas.

goldfish
Charter Member
16-Jul-02, 01:45 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail goldfish Click to send private message to goldfish Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
21. "You on East?"

If so, I've got a magefist with your name on it . Got like 3 of those on mules, I tend to find them a lot. I can also definitely get you a better ammy than +1 fire skills.

I kinda liked the guide, but I agree with critics that it needs better explanation of alternatives. That's what distinguishes a mere "report" ("this is what I did") from a full blown "guide" ("these are 4 ways to do this, here are the benefits and drawbacks of each") in my opinion. You've got a good start here. Keep up the good work!

-goldfish

------------

"one person's holy cow is another's quarter pounder with cheese"
-Pete

"His wife replied that is was marinated dog. My sister went pale. My brother had seconds. I tried some. Spicy and tasty. Better than the brains, not as good as the abalone."
-Occhi

reBew
Member since 16-Jul-02
16-Jul-02, 05:35 PM (GMT)
27. "RE: You on East?"
In response to message #21

LAST EDITED ON 16-Jul-02 AT 05:38 PM (GMT)

Yea, I guess I should have called it "The Inferno Sorceress; what I did to BBQ in Sanctuary".

On your offer;
I'm on Europe realm. One of the few here on Lurker Lounge I think.

But thanks for the offer anyway, it's much appreciated.

Yrrek
Charter Member
16-Jul-02, 06:08 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Yrrek Click to send private message to Yrrek Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
29. "RE: You on East?"
In response to message #21

I am on East and my Inferno sorcercess wouldn't mind a Magefist:)

Yyrrekk1 is the account, usually on later in the evening 10pm+ (Central time)

Is the bean dizzy?

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic