Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #106
Reading Topic #106
SmartBoy
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 08:29 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail SmartBoy Click to send private message to SmartBoy Click to add this user to your buddy list  
"Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results"

Greetings,

I was perusing through Jarulf's Item Find Results today trying to pin down where the earliest spot was where I could find imbuable lances and gothic bows. For those of you who have looked at the results already, there are generally three columns, which look something like this:

------ NMCB-- NMCB-- Hell Cat

First question: do the three columns correspond to normal, nightmare, and hell difficulties respectively? My assumption always was yes. For example, the entry above was copied from the lance information, which means (to me, at least) that lances can drop from Hell Clan in both NM and Hell difficulties. Is this correct?

If it is, then I have another peculiar question. I copied the same entry from the gothic bow section of the results:

------ NMCB-- NMCB-- Hell Clan

In otherwords, does this mean that it is possible for gothics to drop in NM diff from Hell Clan? The rule of thumb (or so I've been told) is that one can't get gothics until late Act III in NM difficulty. If this is the case, then I must be interpreting Jarulf's results incorrectly.

Any help in clarifying this issue would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Smarty.

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results [View All] SmartBoy 16-Apr-01 TOP
  RE: Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results T_hawk 16-Apr-01 1
     RE: Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results T_hawk 16-Apr-01 2
  RE: Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results zerbot 16-Apr-01 3
  This should ultimately be useful Cophnia 16-Apr-01 4
  RE: Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results dk 16-Apr-01 5

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
T_hawk
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 09:23 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail T_hawk Click to send private message to T_hawk Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results"
In response to message #0

The way I understand it, that isn't correct. In weapons.txt in the MPQ, Gothic Bow has a listed level of 48. Hell Clan and Hell Cat (not sure which you actually meant, but they're the same level anyway) have a monster level of 44 in Nightmare, so they cannot drop Gothic Bows.

I could easily be missing a factor, though. Come save us Jarulf

---
-Erik on the old Lurker forum, now T-hawk (dash not underscore, this forum is dumb)
Co-op Clan DoH, http://disciples.clanpages.com

T_hawk
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 09:28 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail T_hawk Click to send private message to T_hawk Click to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results"
In response to message #1

Actually, looking over Jarulf's original post, the level check for the item is skipped if it is an 'always drop' case, which is true for Champions and Bosses. Additionally, the item check is made against mlvl+2. Minion monsters have mlvl equal to the species normal level + 2. So it _should_ be possible for Minion Hell Clan/Cats to drop a Gothic Bow.

I still don't see how it happens for normal Hell Cat/Clan though.

---
-Erik on the old Lurker forum, now T-hawk (dash not underscore, this forum is dumb)
Co-op Clan DoH, http://disciples.clanpages.com

zerbot
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 09:45 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail zerbot Click to send private message to zerbot Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results"

I also had a superior scutum drop out of an urn out in the Rocky Waste in Hell, and according to Jarulf's drop tables, that's not supposed to happen.

Cophnia
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 09:56 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Cophnia Click to send private message to Cophnia Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "This should ultimately be useful"

My First ever Gothic Bow (base stats) by an Amazon was in
NM Act 2 Sewers by I think (?) a Burning Dead on level one sometime in early January.

dk
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 10:36 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail dk Click to send private message to dk Click to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: Question Regarding Jarulf's Item Find Results"

There is a program (probably under Bolty's file section) that will calculate drop location for you. I've found lances in Act 2 NM twice, once in Ancient Tunnels, the other time in a False Tomb.

Read the start of the list, it contains:

N - Normal monster
M - Minion
C - Champion
B - Boss

so for your example, any Hell Cat/Clan will do the trick in either difficulty, given enough MF and luck.

Either use the program or look for the "Monster by Item" textfile to find the lance droppers. Gothics can also appear in Act2, but it's more probable in Act3, simply because there are more opportunities. The files also indicate that such goodies can appear in Act1NM, but my experience says that lances are probably in Act2NM underground areas, while Gothics are in Act3NM from Flayer Jungle to Upper Kurast (I picked up a unique and rune bow the other night).

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic