Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Thorns pally: how little defense?" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #107
Reading Topic #107
Srikandi
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 08:33 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Srikandi Click to send private message to Srikandi Click to add this user to your buddy list  
"Thorns pally: how little defense?"

(I'm talking untwinked single-player hardcore, by the way.)

A thorns pally wants to get hit. So, no shield, thin armor. However, there has to be some middle ground: I had one like this that I got well into act 3, but at some point the hit that killed the monster also killed poor Arjuna (pumped VIT and all).

I'd like to try this concept again. Any advice on how little is too little?

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Thorns pally: how little defense? [View All] Srikandi 16-Apr-01 TOP
  RE: Thorns pally: how little defense? YZilla 16-Apr-01 1
  some thoughts on defense for thorns paladin Grokadin 16-Apr-01 2
     RE: some thoughts on defense for thorns paladin jabroni 16-Apr-01 3
  RE: Thorns pally: how little defense? Lucid Flow 16-Apr-01 4
     RE: Thorns pally: how little defense? Jman69 17-Apr-01 5
         RE: Thorns pally: how little defense? Jman69 17-Apr-01 6
             Thanks all for comments Srikandi 17-Apr-01 7

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
YZilla
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 08:41 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail YZilla Click to send private message to YZilla Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Thorns pally: how little defense?"
In response to message #0

Well, defense dosn't actually reduce the damage, but only lowers the chance of you getting hit.

So, you either take that hard hit, or you die trying.

I recently started a Thorn Pally, and I'm going for as low of defense as possible without sacrificing items with useful stats.

I just avoide leaving my health very low. If it goes down below 2/3, I just retreat and chug a potion, or TP back.

Grokadin
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 08:53 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Grokadin Click to send private message to Grokadin Click to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "some thoughts on defense for thorns paladin"

It's indeed true that a thorns pally wants to get hit. However, through my (rather limited) experience with playing a thorns pally, I think it's safer to be hit less often and kill a little slower than to be hit more often and kill very quickly. As you experienced, sometimes they just hit with too much force.

I'd go with a rather normal setup in terms of armor and such, even considering using a shield. (especially when up against heavy-hitting stun-lockers like those vultures) The playstyle would be like a normal warrior, except you have the "bonus" of thorns damage. At the very least, you could use a low defense armor with a 2-handed weapon, switching to shields with varying amounts of blocking as the strength of your opponents varies.

I suppose if you're playing a thorns variant where EVERY kill (or as much as possible) must come from thorns, this isn't very good advice, but in terms of survivability I think this may be a solution.

jabroni
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 09:13 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail jabroni Click to send private message to jabroni Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: some thoughts on defense for thorns paladin"
In response to message #2

if ur thorns pally is only using thorns as the main killer, then i'd advise u to watch ur health ball very carefully.
also, watch out for bosses/uniques and their attributes.

armour-wise, resists are more impt than defense (but high or low defense doesn't really make much of a difference when u run around)

the shield is actually also very viable when playing such a variant (gives good resists and allows for blocking against overly tuff opponents)

"It isn't pollution that's harming our environment. It's the impuities in our air and water that are doing it"
Quayle, Dan

Lucid Flow
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 10:50 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Lucid%20Flow Click to send private message to Lucid%20Flow Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: Thorns pally: how little defense?"

Unfortunatly, Paladins are very fragile, being a walking punching bag won't let you live very long, thats why Blizzard made convert. It's a great skill with thorns.

"Less Chat More Splat"

Jman69
Charter Member
17-Apr-01, 00:41 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Jman69 Click to send private message to Jman69 Click to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: Thorns pally: how little defense?"
In response to message #4

I would use a shield for Blocking. Hell you will get hit regardless of what you wear. You can them socket 3 Perf Diamonds.
You need res also.

I'm starting a Paladin and my plan is wear this stuff:
coil of glory
rattle cage
goblin toe
goldwrap
sias gloves

untwinked will be hard to get some of that stuff.
think about a Max redemption.
Lvl 1 base doesn't cut it. It's not a simply .02 seconds for full life.

Sometimes you will leave a pack of monsters with low vit, just turn on redemption and your back to full.
If a monster dies to thorns, it means he hit you.
This means you died land the killing blow and didn't leech some of that back. You'll often time have 50% vit after killing a pack.

Jman69
Charter Member
17-Apr-01, 00:43 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Jman69 Click to send private message to Jman69 Click to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: Thorns pally: how little defense?"
In response to message #5

oops sorry for the typo.
You will be left the damage the monster inflicted on you everytime they die to thorns.

In HC you should get redemption for sure.

Srikandi
Charter Member
17-Apr-01, 02:12 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Srikandi Click to send private message to Srikandi Click to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "Thanks all for comments"
In response to message #6

I'll certainly get redemption if I live that long I've never yet gotten a hardcore character to level 30, whether because of poor skillz or because I don't twink & don't repeat areas: always play a straight game, full clears once only. (OK, I know some of you routinely get hc chars to high levels playing this way. But not too many of you I suspect!)

I'm going with the two-handed no-shield setup because I'd like to try out some of those two-handed weapons my shield-using melee characters are always having to pass up. At least this guy has an excuse.

For combat skills, zeal-vengeance-conversion (situationally).

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic