Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Gem cap?" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #113
Reading Topic #113
Dyslexia
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 10:53 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Dyslexia Click to send private message to Dyslexia Click to add this user to your buddy list  
"Gem cap?"

LAST EDITED ON 04-16-01 AT 11:01 PM (PDT)

LAST EDITED ON 04-16-01 AT 11:00 PM (PDT)

is there a limit on how effective Gems are?
I threw 3 perfect diamonds into a gemmed pike. (for my zombie hunter).
they are supposed to do 156-170% Damage vs Undead.
so 3 of them should be between 468% and 510% (depending on how much the RNG likes you). My Pike showed 304% damage vs undead.
i thought it was odd. i fired up Jamella (i know evil, evil. i repented aftewards) and made got a test character and a socketed chu-ko-no. 304% again. Does anyone know if this is a bug? or a maximum value for that attribute (sorta like MF).
if it maxes at 304% that is sorta dumb. Civerb's set has a scepter (150% vs undead) and the set grants 200% vs undead. if they are cumulative (which i think they are) that makes 350%... Blizzard wouldn't be dumb enough to make a set that doesn't work ... would they? There really isn't any way to test if it does full damage or not though. most undead tend to die whether it's 150% or 300% or 500%.

just curious if anyone else has noticed this

edit: grammer
edit: some html errors messed it up

Phantasy Star Diablo
Coming soon: Dyslexia's Messiah Guide

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Gem cap? [View All] Dyslexia 16-Apr-01 TOP
  RE: Gem cap? OverkillTMage 16-Apr-01 1
     RE: Gem cap? Dyslexia 16-Apr-01 3
     RE: Gem cap? zerbot 16-Apr-01 5
  RE: Gem cap? zerbot 16-Apr-01 2
     RE: Gem cap? Dyslexia 16-Apr-01 4
         RE: Gem cap? zerbot 16-Apr-01 6
             RE: Gem cap? Dyslexia 16-Apr-01 7
  RE: Gem cap? Master 17-Apr-01 8

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
OverkillTMage
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 10:58 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail OverkillTMage Click to send private message to OverkillTMage Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Gem cap?"
In response to message #0

umm why do u want high dmg VS undead?????
its useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
for the most of the game!!!!!!!
i think you should be dragd out and shot in the head for puting 3 perf dimonds in a crap ass pike!

Dyslexia
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 11:02 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Dyslexia Click to send private message to Dyslexia Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: Gem cap?"
In response to message #1

sorry sir,
the post forgot to put the part about "for my zombie hunter" on there.

Phantasy Star Diablo

zerbot
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 11:13 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail zerbot Click to send private message to zerbot Click to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: Gem cap?"
In response to message #1

Something that you may not have clued in to yet is that a lot of people around here like to do odd things just to see what happens, and they like to play characters that power players would consider crappy because they find it more interesting. As a result, a lot of the information and strategy that power players use came from the people here who experimented. I recall one of the people who was instrumental in the development of the hammerdin variant said when he walked out on the dueling field with a wand he got laughed at. The laughter didn't last long, I can assure you.

So if you came here expecting to find a lot of other power players who would never think of putting perfect diamonds in a pike just for kicks, then I'm sorry that this place is not likely to meet your expectations. There are many forums out there that might feel more at home to you, so feel free to check them out.

zerbot
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 11:00 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail zerbot Click to send private message to zerbot Click to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Gem cap?"

Each diamond adds 56-70%.

Dyslexia
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 11:06 PM (GMT)
4. "RE: Gem cap?"
In response to message #2

>Each diamond adds 56-70%.
The Chaos Sanctuary says 156-170.
diabloii.net says 156-170.
even if it was 56-70 that doesn't add up to 304%

Phantasy Star Diablo

zerbot
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 11:15 PM (GMT)
6. "RE: Gem cap?"
In response to message #4

The pike itself has 100%. 204% divided by 3 comes out to 68, which is what each diamond is adding since the randomness of gems was screwed up with patch 1.04.

Dyslexia
Charter Member
16-Apr-01, 11:21 PM (GMT)
7. "RE: Gem cap?"
In response to message #6

aaahhhh.... perhaps that is why i do so poorly in math class

thanks zerbot!

Phantasy Star Diablo

Master
Charter Member
17-Apr-01, 00:59 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Master Click to send private message to Master Click to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "RE: Gem cap?"

> Blizzard wouldn't be dumb enough to make a set that doesn't work... would they?

Try Vidala's rig. I spent more than a month looking for all the items with my first char (bowazon), only to discover that it is horribly broken.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the Xpack.

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic