Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Speedazon" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #3701
Reading Topic #3701
Hellspawn
Member since 7-Feb-03
07-Feb-03, 10:03 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Hellspawn Click to send private message to Hellspawn Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ  
"Speedazon"

Hello All
I have been doing some research into the Speedazon build and it seems like it would be a fun amazon to attempt. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggested readings? I'm not really looking for a shopping list of the "perfectly outfitted speedazon", as I am looking for technical suggestions or strategies and approaches to the build.
I do understand that there is an 8 fps desirability for a bow which requires much IAS equipment and socketing. Speed seems to be at a maximum since resists tend to be ignored, due to lack of space.
Apparantly there is a fine line of demarcation between a Speedazon and a Dexazon. (???)
Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thank you.

"Why am I the only one who has that dream?"

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Speedazon [View All] Hellspawn 07-Feb-03 TOP
  RE: Speedazon Bloodstar6078 08-Feb-03 1
  RE: Speedazon ShadowHM 08-Feb-03 2
  RE: Speedazon FrozenSorc 10-Feb-03 3
     RE: Speedazon Archon_Wing 10-Feb-03 4
  RE: Speedazon ldw 10-Feb-03 5
     RE: Speedazon Archon_Wing 10-Feb-03 6
         RE: Speedazon Wapptor 10-Feb-03 7
             RE: Speedazon Archon_Wing 11-Feb-03 8
  RE: Speedazon Hellspawn 11-Feb-03 9
  RE: Speedazon Paso 11-Feb-03 10

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Bloodstar6078
Member since 24-Jan-03
08-Feb-03, 05:15 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Bloodstar6078 Click to send private message to Bloodstar6078 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Speedazon"
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON 08-Feb-03 AT 05:17 PM (GMT)

Well highlords wrath amulet is really good. +1 to skills 20 increased attack speed and 35% lightning resist. (think it might have more too but i forgot what). Its cheap only one soj or maybe some other cheap item. sigons gloves and boots will give you 30ias bonus from gloves while the boots make you run faster and give you 40 cold resist.120/45 bonevisage or 160/60 armor are a must but expensive as hell. you can get other resist mostly off rings and charms if you are worried about that. For your bow im not sure what the fastest is bkut a buriza comes with 80ias on it and a 'shael' will bring it to 95. definately not the4 fastest bow because its a buriza but its good and cheap. another bow idea would be a cruel bow socketed witha 40/15 or shael, but not the best damage, or a 6 socket elite bow with all 40/15's might do well also. well have fun, because shooting fast is!!

Oh yeah also i think on diabloii.net there are some articles about bows and speeds. they might be out of date but you might want to take a look anyways.

I am the Silver Angel of Anguish
Red-
Black-
Silver-
White-
I shall rain bloody vengence on all...

ShadowHM
Charter Member
08-Feb-03, 08:13 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail ShadowHM Click to send private message to ShadowHM Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Speedazon"

The equipment for a basic speedazon should not be REALLY out of line.

Although the cult of speed can and does have it's elitists who would only recommend the best of gear.

There are a few compendiums of information about Speedazons here.
Look under the threads entitled 'Speedheads'.

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?s=5e72c82c5610c5849f21b82b42f7ddf8&act=SF&f=94

"But hope is left when pride is gone,
and it keeps you moving on."
Ry Cooder, 'The Borderline'

FrozenSorc
Member since 9-Feb-03
10-Feb-03, 01:36 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail FrozenSorc Click to send private message to FrozenSorc Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
3. "RE: Speedazon"

My, My, My, Looks like you've all have forgotten the basics...

Armor : 60 IAS, Something elite
Helm : 45 BV or Great helm for so...
Ammy : Highlords won't hurt...
Rings : Some +20 resisters since no (Legit) rings add IAS
Boots/Gloves : Sigons....
Belt : Nos Coil
Bow : 6 Shael Gothic or Hydra bow, Even Crusader....WOO!!!!120 IAS bow alone means crazy speed!

I would recommend, If you plan to PvP, Get some resist charms and some FHR, Then, I would also add just a little str and energy......You'll need dex for damage because what's speed for if you're not hurting it and vit incase you're accidently stuck and getting a bunch of shots at you.....Do as much into both as possible, Get dex and vita charms....Good luck attempting this = )

"Not having fun should be a Cardinal Syn = )"

Archon_Wing
Member since 19-Jan-03
10-Feb-03, 05:26 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Archon_Wing Click to send private message to Archon_Wing Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
4. "RE: Speedazon"
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON 10-Feb-03 AT 05:38 AM (GMT)

hmm... I wouldn't recomond a hydra bow for a speedazon build. It takes a lot of IAS for it to just reach a 8 fpa attack because it's a 10 speed bow. I would recomond a magical or *gasp* rare matriarchal bow.
Here's a site that will help you figure out what you need.
http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

On the other hand, the Goldstrike Arch, although it is a slow base 10 bow, gives 50% ias and has decent damage plus some nice mods. Stick a shael in it, and you just need 80 more ias to push it an 8 fpa attack

When you look for someone to blame, check the mirror first.
Hm_2001, Hm_2kx, Archon_Wing, USWEST

ldw
Member since 21-Jan-03
10-Feb-03, 05:48 AM (GMT)
Click to send private message to ldw Click to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: Speedazon"

Yes.. speedazon/dexazon line is a bit fine. Mainly due to the fact that most non-ueber speedazon gear will necessarily restrict you to a faster bow with less damage. Thus dexterity will be used to make up for that.

Also remember that less damage means less mana leech thus usually speedazons find themselves in need of 10% or higher mana steal for hell difficulty (quite apart from the fact that shooting at the high speed expends more mana anyway... )

I usually have at least 1 point into guided arrow on my speedazons .. It is handy for boss killing and especially if your mana steal is not that great you can fill up your mana orb in 2-3 arrows with it and then continue with your other chosen attack.

Multiple shot can also be a great mana steal skill (quite apart from the crowd control and kill skill ) if you have a some decent mana steal to start with. It relies heavily on large number of targets present (at least 4-6) and on the level of pierce skill (or items) you have.

Some bow examples for speedazon (nothing too ueber here)

riphook + shael: needs another 25% ias for 8 frames
Nice fast bow.. damage is unremarkable later but still works, life steal is gravy.. pity about the slow bug.

witchwild string + shael: another 85% ias needed from somewhere
Not the fastest bow put pushing it to 8 frames is worth it due to the very handy deadly strike and amp cast on striking. The 40% resists is just gravy.

Rare/magic Matriarchal/Blade/Great bow with some decent damage (100% ED at least) and inherent ias. Look out for an extra +max dmg based on character level property on rares... They can really add something at high level.

In terms of other equipment .. only speed is really important. Enough to reach your desired frame rate AND some item to reduce cold length or eliminate it (ravenfrost, death guard sash .. items with half freeze duration). If you are slowed down by cold wielding enemies or by holy freeze enchanted boss most of your great speed will be nullified.

Personally if I find that I dont need extra speed on my armor I try to equip lionheart runic armor which has excellent bonuses, especially to life and resists (but also +str, in case you want to go for the great bow which is a bit heavy on str requirement).

Archon_Wing
Member since 19-Jan-03
10-Feb-03, 08:39 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Archon_Wing Click to send private message to Archon_Wing Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
6. "RE: Speedazon"
In response to message #5

Yes cold damage is indeed evil, so half freeze/ cannot be frozen is very useful. Unforunately, it still won't protect you from holy freeze.

Wapptor
Member since 9-Jan-03
10-Feb-03, 03:24 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Wapptor Click to send private message to Wapptor Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
7. "RE: Speedazon"
In response to message #6

Your all forgetting -10 speed bows, the best of these probably being a cruel matriarchal bow. With only 142% IAS you can reach 7/2 attack speed (fastest possible in game). This is not that difficult to achieve as 60 IAS armor is cheap, the helm (45) is a bit more difficult to obtain and an additional 30 can be added with sigons boots/gloves combo along with their nice and tasty str + resist mods. Add a bit more from highlords or cats eye and your set. The rest of your equipment should compensate greatly for leach and resists, skill choice is up to you.

It is important to note however, overall a 160/60 and 120/45 armor and helm are definitely better, however unless you've got windforce's to burn (and you dont...unless your parents left their credit card with you...) its going to be very difficult to get these. It is also possible to slap on a vamp gaze and supplement your other gear and still gain sufficient IAS, I would reccomend this link if checking for IAS bow breakpoint tables. Good luck: http://www.users.qwest.net/~mlsquires/d2/bows/speed_tables.html

-Wapptor (there is no speedazon substite for 7/2 heh)

Everything is a sacrifice, one may never have the best of both worlds. Its like Gandalf said: "We must decide what to do with the time that is given to us", only then can we make life worthwhile.

Archon_Wing
Member since 19-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 00:01 AM (GMT)
8. "RE: Speedazon"
In response to message #7

Actualy, matriarchal bows were brought up

Hellspawn
Member since 7-Feb-03
11-Feb-03, 01:31 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Hellspawn Click to send private message to Hellspawn Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ  
9. "RE: Speedazon"

Just wanted to thank you one and all for all of the food for thought and the links. I know what I am going to be doing when I get home from work tonight (read, read, think, read, read, read, yawn, think somemore). I can see a headache coming on . . . lol. Thanks
-Hell

"Why am I the only one who has that dream?"

Paso
Member since 11-Feb-03
11-Feb-03, 11:20 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Paso Click to send private message to Paso Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
10. "RE: Speedazon"

A speedazon is just any zon that shoots at 8/2 or 7/2. Anything slower doesn't qualify.
Some items to think about when building her:
- twitchtroe (with a fervor) will yield 20-35% IAS
- death's gloves and sash for a stunning 30% IAS, cbf, 15% res all and 8% ll to name a few.

If you have a <-10> speed bow with just 20% ias you are already at 8/2!

Personal favourite of mine is the Peashooter though: get your zon a 5 socket matriarchal bow, stuff it with shaels and get 45% ias from other sources to be at 7/2 and use the rest for max resist .

There's a guide that covers this pretty well:http://strony.wp.pl/wp/yahve3/d2/diablo2.htm

Paso

"Men will be boys, the only thing that differs is their toys"

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic