Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Workshop
Diablo II Mechanics and Statistics
Knowledge is power. In this forum, we discuss detailed game mechanics and statistics, from how Diablo II functions, to the probabilities of events happening.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: " Seem to be getting more at 125%..." Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Workshop Topic #177
Reading Topic #177
Ironx
Charter Member
14-Jun-01, 00:21 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ironx Click to send private message to Ironx Click to add this user to your buddy list  
" Seem to be getting more at 125%..."

I've been building a MF Barb for the past few days, and i am puzzled to notice that i seemed to be finding more Uniques/rares with 125% magicfind. I had to replace my 25% Helm with a FHR + HP (That's 125% left) one temporarily as i was lacking vitality. He was about level 23-26 in act 2 normal when i found 5 uniques in one day alone, and found 2 uniques in each of the 2 games...the remainding one was found in another game. At about level 28, i switched back to my 25% helm and have a total of 150%. In the next 2 days, i have found not even a single unique, and the amount of rares were neligable..it was like 1 or was it 2 ?. Anyways, i wasn't picking up many rares with 125%. Just uniques.

This has been very puzzling as i have heard that 150% is the best % to find rares (exceptional or not). I"m now level 32 and in nightmare act 2. Should i continue to go with 150% or 125% ? Or maybe switching back to 150% when i reached hell ? MY piority's are on the uniques right now, as there aren't many good rares to be found in nightmare (except rings, amulets, etc).
So now what ?

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Seem to be getting more at 125%... [View All] Ironx 14-Jun-01 TOP
  RE: Seem to be getting more at 125%... ignatz 14-Jun-01 1
     RE: Seem to be getting more at 125%... Ironx 14-Jun-01 2
  RE: Seem to be getting more at 125%... babs 14-Jun-01 3
     250 find is better than 125 shadoemage 14-Jun-01 4
         RE: 250 find is better than 125 Corrupt_Jenova 14-Jun-01 5
             RE: 250 find is better than 125 Mufasa 15-Jun-01 6
  Solved Shedrock 16-Jun-01 7
     Easy to find :) Elric of Gransadmin 16-Jun-01 8
         Found the easy to find ;) Rinkler 17-Jun-01 9

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
ignatz
Charter Member
14-Jun-01, 02:17 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail ignatz Click to send private message to ignatz Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Seem to be getting more at 125%..."
In response to message #0

You know, I seem to have noticed exactly the same thing. I was at 150% exactly until recently and I dropped down to 126% and started finding uniques and rares like mad. I have no idea why.

One theory, and it's probably a poor one, is that characters have inherent magic find percentages that vary by class. Sounds silly? Maybe so..but Barbs with 0% seem to find many MANY more rares than Paladins or Sorcies at 0%. I wonder if the more item-dependant classes have a 25% bonus to mf% or something similar...

No reasonable idea how to test this though.

Ironx
Charter Member
14-Jun-01, 02:30 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ironx Click to send private message to Ironx Click to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Seem to be getting more at 125%..."
In response to message #1

the heck is happening ? I think i'll go with 125%...and get a better helm...

babs
Charter Member
14-Jun-01, 03:02 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail babs Click to send private message to babs Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: Seem to be getting more at 125%..."

Ya, I'm building a zon for gambling in clasic d2 while I send my main chars to the xpack. She has like 40mf and seems to get a lot more than my main zon who has 202? Although my main zon seems to get better mods. Both are in act 4 hell, I know its supposed to just be the lvl of the monster that you kill that effects the drop but my lvl 82 gets way better mods but fewer rares to drop than my 65.

Does anyone know if thats becuase of the lvl difference, the mf difference, or just luck.?

------
Did you know that USEAST is Korean for OVER HERE DUDE

shadoemage
Charter Member
14-Jun-01, 10:42 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail shadoemage Click to send private message to shadoemage Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "250 find is better than 125"
In response to message #3

You just have to play a lot and let it average out.

You can't just go on one game. Play 30 games and you'll see that 250 is better than 125...

SM

Corrupt_Jenova
Charter Member
14-Jun-01, 01:25 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Corrupt_Jenova Click to send private message to Corrupt_Jenova Click to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: 250 find is better than 125"
In response to message #4

Figures...what some of you dont realize is that infact your MF has a good chance of being naturally like 50% if its a 10th character you make on that account (i.e 10, 20, 30, 40)

Now, keep this in mind with the fact that over 250 magic find wont give you jack, and the reason barbs seem to get more stuff, is cause, naturally, they kill things faster tna any class mind zons, but they cant always scan everywhere

Just my 2 cents

~Mess with the best, die like the rest~

SouLeSS

Lancer - 77
Pally - 76
Sword/Shield - 76
Bowazon - 65
Mauler - 62
Ice Sorc - 48

Mufasa
Member since 25-Sep-02
15-Jun-01, 11:30 AM (GMT)
Click to send private message to Mufasa Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: 250 find is better than 125"
In response to message #5

>Figures...what some of you dont realize
>is that infact your MF
>has a good chance of
>being naturally like 50% if
>its a 10th character you
>make on that account (i.e
>10, 20, 30, 40)

Where the heck are you getting that from? I've never heard of anything even remotely similar to that. And it seems rather impossible to me, since you can only have 8 chars on an account at a time.

Shedrock
Charter Member
16-Jun-01, 11:51 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Shedrock Click to send private message to Shedrock Click to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "Solved"

A month or 2 ago, Diabloii.net ran an article about magic find. Some guy ran all the number combinations, and a surprising result emerged. Because of the complex way that D2 adds the MF amount, the chance of finding rares actually GOES DOWN between 150 and 187 MF (I forgot the exact high number.) His conclusion was that if you cannot get about 190+ MF items, try to get as close to 149 as possible without hitting 150.
You stated you were running at exactly 150 MF, this explains your drops.
Try to find the article.

Elric of Gransadmin
Charter Member
16-Jun-01, 11:54 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Elric%20of%20Grans Click to send private message to Elric%20of%20Grans Click to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "Easy to find :)"
In response to message #7

Hail Shedrock,

How do you ever find any discoveries such as this? You go to the Lurker Lounge front page, click on the 'Discoveries' link and find the article there Jarulf also wrote a table showing the % chance of getting Rare Exceptionals at various levels, but that'd take a minute or two to find :\

May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.

Rinkler
Charter Member
17-Jun-01, 07:06 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Rinkler Click to send private message to Rinkler Click to add this user to your buddy list  
9. "Found the easy to find ;)"
In response to message #8

LAST EDITED ON 06-18-01 AT 08:52 PM (PDT)

I read over the MF discovery in the "Discoveries" and noticed that the breaking point is 151%, not 150%. Maybe I read wrong, but that would mean that you should still be finding the same or probably more rares/unqiues at 150% than 125%. And also, the game sometimes depends on the drops. I find absolutely nothing in some games, (I have a lvl 59 MF barb. 174% MF) 5+ rares in merely one section (findin 7 in Sewers lvl 1 was most), or find merely a unique and a mass of magics.

Also, at the Chaos Sanctuary, I found that table with the various MF and your chance to find items at that % MF. The link is: http://pf.chemeng.lth.se/diablo2/magprob.txt I think that is what u were talking about. Well, hope that helps.

-Rink

EDIT: Typos.

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic