Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Workshop
Diablo II Mechanics and Statistics
Knowledge is power. In this forum, we discuss detailed game mechanics and statistics, from how Diablo II functions, to the probabilities of events happening.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "The Secret Use of Open Wounds" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Workshop Topic #1264
Reading Topic #1264
Flaming_June
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 09:49 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Flaming_June Click to send private message to Flaming_June Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
"The Secret Use of Open Wounds"

Spirea, you can move this topic as you like if you find it better as a bug in the Maggot Lair. I won't mind, although I opened it up in order to find a reason behind the mistake.

http://diablo2.gcpro.de/d2forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259689

For those of us unable to read german, use some sort of a translator to read the information. I used Altavista.

Anyway, the topic brings up a strange occurance which really should not happen. I'm not sure if this was found before, but it seems that, after the hit on crushing blow is made, the physical resistance of monsters, at least the normal ones in Hell, will be reduced to 0. If this is true, then there would be some interesting builds to take advantage of this, or just another mistake Blizzard slipped through the cracks to make the modifier actually useful. Granted, this would make Goreriders one of the most sought-after Druid/Paladin items, since it adds Deadly Strike and Open Wounds, effectively a chance to increase damage by 300%. It was only tested in Single-Player, but does anyone have experience with this type of damage change? And for what kind of a reason would this even take place?

PS: Heri, are you the same Heri that posted this?

"If only they knew what I know... then civilization would be thrown upside-down. They aren't ready to know what I know...."
-Shokla, Acolyte, Zeji Conversion

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
The Secret Use of Open Wounds [View All] Flaming_June 19-Feb-02 TOP
  RE: The Secret Use of Open Wounds RogueMage 19-Feb-02 1
  Translated for the Lazy Den_of_Earth 19-Feb-02 2
     RE: Translated for the Lazy Atair 19-Feb-02 3
         RE: Translated for the Lazy William_Wallace 19-Feb-02 4
             Tempting indeed ShadowHM 19-Feb-02 5
                 RE: Tempting indeed William_Wallace 19-Feb-02 6
             Blast You People!!! I now know too much 8^D Occhidiangela 26-Feb-02 29
         thoughts, questions... Crystalion 19-Feb-02 7
             My testing does not confirm "OW sets phys resist to 0" Crystalion 19-Feb-02 8
                 a little more testing Crystalion 20-Feb-02 9
                     RE: a little more testing Heri 20-Feb-02 12
                     RE: a little more testing Jarulf 21-Feb-02 21
                         granting XP for delayed kills Crystalion 22-Feb-02 27
                             RE: granting XP for delayed kills Jarulf 25-Feb-02 28
                     What About a Riphook Unique Razor Bow? Occhidiangela 26-Feb-02 30
                 RE: My testing does not confirm Heri 20-Feb-02 13
                     RE: My testing does not confirm Jarulf 20-Feb-02 14
                         RE: My testing does not confirm Heri 20-Feb-02 15
                             RE: My testing does not confirm Ruvanal 21-Feb-02 19
                                 RE: My testing does not confirm Heri 21-Feb-02 20
                                     RE: My testing does not confirm Ruvanal 21-Feb-02 22
                                         Yes, that's it, no bug, no lowered resistance *sigh* Heri 21-Feb-02 23
                                             RE: Yes, that's it, no bug, no lowered resistance *sigh* Ruvanal 21-Feb-02 24
             AmazonBasin IP Epi 20-Feb-02 16
                 RE: AmazonBasin IP LMHOSTS workaround Crystalion 22-Feb-02 26
             Buginess FoxBat 20-Feb-02 17
                 RE: Buginess Jarulf 21-Feb-02 18
                     Life Drain Weapon Den_of_Earth 22-Feb-02 25
         RE: Translated for the Lazy Karon 26-Feb-02 31
  RE: The Secret Use of Open Wounds Heri 20-Feb-02 10
  RE: The Secret Use of Open Wounds Jarulf 20-Feb-02 11

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
RogueMage
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 12:09 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail RogueMage Click to send private message to RogueMage Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: The Secret Use of Open Wounds"
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON 02-19-02 AT 12:38 PM (PST)

I just tried using a Swordback Hold shield (50% chance of open wounds) with an Assassin doing nothing but physical damage. She was unable to damage a physical immune with or without the shield.

Edit: Apparently it takes some elemental damage to trigger off the Open Wounds effect, then the victim loses his Physical Immunity. Worked fine with just a touch of cold damage. This was on Single Player, don't know if its been tested on the Realms.

Den_of_Earth
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 12:22 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Den_of_Earth Click to send private message to Den_of_Earth Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
2. "Translated for the Lazy"

Madjai and I tested for a long time and carefully (in the Singleplayer, in the Closed so far not), with the attribute " XX% chance on open wounds " (OW) gift's a considerable bug: As long as with a monster or a player OW works, its physical resistance is set to zero.

OW works however only with close-in engagement attacks. That leads to the following phenomena: - one goes around the global 50% physical resistance in bright with a sufficiently high chance on OW almost completely. For PI cheapest elementary damage is enough to go around around their immunity.

One carries, for example, a Charm with 1-5 lightning damage or in such a way and hits thereby the PI. The chance of "X% OW" is applied and if successfull, further physical attack damage will apply.
---------------------------------
I edited it pretty heavily, especially the last paragraph. The Alta Vista translater didn't work great, or Germans use incredibly long, run on sentences. Anyway, worth looking in to.

Den

http://slam-pit.com

Atair
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 07:03 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Atair Click to send private message to Atair Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: Translated for the Lazy"
In response to message #2

LAST EDITED ON 02-19-02 AT 07:12 PM (PST)

>I edited it pretty heavily, especially the last paragraph.
>The Alta Vista translater didn't work great, or Germans use
>incredibly long, run on sentences.
Hehe - well, we do.

So as I'm German, I'll also try to translate it (babelfishes are not really good at this...)
Oh - and sorry for the bad English...

"Madjai and I did some detailled tests (in single player mode) on "Chance of Open Wounds" (OW), and there seems to be a considerable bug:

In the time a monster is affected by OW it's physical resistance is set to zero. However, OW does not work with ranged attacks or the Paladin's smite skill.

This leads to the following phenomena:

- Global physical resistances in hell (50%) are nearly avoided with a high enough chance of OW (during OW is in effect the chance works again and increases the OW time again and again).

- For physically immune monsters a little bit of elemental damage is enough to avoid their immunity.
For example, you carry a charm with lightning damage of only 1 to 5 and hit a PI monster. If you hit, it receives 1 to 5 damage. But this little damage is enough to trigger OW. And as long as OW is in effect you can hurt the monster by using physical attacks.

- Crushing Blow is extended to its maximum impact of 25% when hitting a monster with a resistance of 50%. On PI monsters it does not work anyway (although every other physical damage gets through).

- In PvP the effect is the same. Since there are no physical immunities you don't need elemental damage.
Additionally, it has to be mentioned that OW is decreades in PvP, but not quartered. <...>"

I hope, my translations is a little bit understandable.

William_Wallace
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 07:24 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail William_Wallace Click to send private message to William_Wallace Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: Translated for the Lazy"
In response to message #3

If this is correct, a simple act II or V merc wielding a Malice runeworded weapon (IthElEth on Melee weapons, 100% OW is one of its mods) and some elemental damage on the other two spots can solve ANY character's PI killing problems! Scary thought, all my time making melee characters that could kill PIs could be wasted. Then again, I wouldn't want to exploit a nasty bug like this one.

If the general B.net public hears about this, I know what will happen: every single physical damage character will have their very own malice-wielding merc

"Aye, so I've heard! I've also heard he can kill a hundred men in battle. And if the real William Wallace was here, he'd slay the English with fire from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse!"

ShadowHM
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 07:50 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail ShadowHM Click to send private message to ShadowHM Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "Tempting indeed"
In response to message #4

If the general B.net public hears about this, I know what will happen: every single physical damage character will have their very own malice-wielding merc

Of course there are minor other things to overcome, like the life drain on Malice, and the loss of a slot for said merc to get some life leech so he can survive combat. Otherwise he will be a very high maintenance companion indeed.

"But hope is left when pride is gone,
and it keeps you moving on."
Ry Cooder, 'The Borderline'

William_Wallace
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 08:10 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail William_Wallace Click to send private message to William_Wallace Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: Tempting indeed"
In response to message #5

LAST EDITED ON 02-19-02 AT 08:12 PM (PST)

My first character in LoD had an act II merc that used a Malice brandistock, the life drain on the brandistock wasn't enough to overcome the merc's natural life regeneration. He did regen slower, but at least he did not lose life constantly. He was around level 28, I think, so a higher level merc would have even less problems with the life drain.

One bigger problem with Malice is getting enough life leech for the merc to survive. It is possible with Tal Rasha's Mask and Skin of the Flayed One (I think that's the Exceptional Unique Armor with life leech), that would give him 15% life leech, I think. However, Malice only has 33% Enhanced Damage, not enough to keep a merc alive in Hell.

The best way to solve this would be to make Malice out of a Superior Ethereal 3-socketed Elite weapon and give him the previously mentioned two pieces of equipment. Hmm, a weapon like this would be just a little hard to find

EDIT: Spelling mistakes caused by lack of proofreading, must proofread before posting!

"Aye, so I've heard! I've also heard he can kill a hundred men in battle. And if the real William Wallace was here, he'd slay the English with fire from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse!"

Occhidiangela
Charter Member
26-Feb-02, 10:36 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Occhidiangela Click to send private message to Occhidiangela Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
29. "Blast You People!!! I now know too much 8^D"
In response to message #4

Just read this thread.

My HC druid, GentleBenwa, has a merc with just such a weapon, Sparkling Mail. {I fell in love with open wounds when BurritOcchi the Paladin had the Steel long sword and found Swordback hold. SHield. I just love it.} I like the SM LGT resist, and its Diablo I tie in.) I had not idea of this bug till you all brought it up.

I am not yet in hell diff, but drat it, I wish you had never told me of this. Grrrrrr. I was perfectly happy with this guy . . . and his malice merc. I made the Malice merc specifically for the Druid to make the -100 to DR help my to hit in big games or on champions.

Sigh.

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!

Crystalion
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 08:41 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Crystalion Click to send private message to Crystalion Click to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "thoughts, questions..."

Atair wrote:
>So as I'm German, I'll also try to translate it

My thanks for the translation; thanks to the original posters and to Flaming_June for bringing it here.

>"Madjai and I did some detailled tests (in single player
>mode) on "Chance of Open Wounds" (OW), and there seems to be
>a considerable bug:

D2 is a complex game. I think it is a common mistake for people to assume that any belated discovery implies a bug. The game is poorly documented (by Blizzard at least--though I love GFraizer's work) and to someone new to the game a whole host of discoveries we take for granted might plausibly be interpreted as unintentional (i.e. "bugs"). Often Blizzard will add a powerful game feature and later nerf it when they realize it was too good, but that does not necessarily mean it was originally a bug.

Assuming it unlikely to be able to query the D2 designers on this issue I would propose the next best thing would be to have someone (Jarulf?) code-read to see if the effect seems incidental/accidental or is obviously deliberately coded...

>In the time a monster is affected by OW it's physical
>resistance is set to zero.

I have yet to test this myself, but this seems to suggest the monster's physical resistance is restored properly after the OW wears off. This implies the likelyhood, to me at least, of a deliberate branch or deliberate save/alter/restore coding for the effect.

An obvious test, apart from code-reading, would be to see if this effect existed in D2C or was added for LOD (clearly its import is far greater in LOD). If the feature was active, but little used, in D2C, upon redisigning the game for LoD they may have overlooked its new awesome importance.

>- Crushing Blow is extended to its maximum impact of 25%
>when hitting a monster with a resistance of 50%. On PI
>monsters it does not work anyway (although every other
>physical damage gets through).

I read quite recently a post (probably Jarulf) mentioning that CB had it own simplified resist routine, resulting in some minor quirks, so this doesn't surprise me.

Of course, an additional question would be: does this OW effect also deprive the monster of other resists (e.g. we create a triple immune iron golem, can it be harmed elementally after OW)?

-- Crys

p.s. over a week ago DNS stopped giving me a resolve for theamazonbasin. Did they go under? If not, does someone have the IP for forums.theamazonbasin.com so I can continue to peruse there? Thanks.

Crystalion
Charter Member
19-Feb-02, 11:06 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Crystalion Click to send private message to Crystalion Click to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "My testing does not confirm "OW sets phys resist to 0""
In response to message #7

I wrote:
>I have yet to test this myself,

I tested, SP LoD v1.09c, by socketing an Um rune into a Ribcracker (which has something like 50% chance of crushing blow fyi) and giving it to my fury druid (this is the highest rune I've ever gotten, so I hope you'll forgive me for duping it for the test).

I stripped the equip down to only add non-physical damage of 2-5 fire from a charm and went to act5 hell to find some Death Maulers.

Barehanded or with my alt weapon I could not dent them (the fire damage could be seen but was insignificant). Using the OW staff I could take them down but a lot of the movement in their HPs seemed due to OW over time, as opposed to the hit. Additionally there was *never* any life leech (when the occasional non-phys immune wandered into my fury, my HPs would skyrocket, at 3% leech pre-penalties).

On Spirea's damage page I note the formula for OW as:
Damage = (clvl * 9 + 40)/256 * 25 * 4
supposedly spread out over 4 seconds (it didn't appear to be 4 seconds, but I didn't attempt to time it). As the test druid was level 74 (which explains why I didn't socket an IKSC, clvl req 76) this would work out to about 275 points of damage per successful OW.

I can't get to Arreat Summit just now to check on the total HPs of the Death Maulers, but I strongly suspect the entire kill (taking more than a few OW hits) could, for example, be explained by OW damage *ignoring* physical resist should other damage make it through the monster's immunities.

In any event, the OW ==> 0% physical resist theory doesn't seem to fit the data from my test.

-- Crys

p.s. regretfully I failed to test if rabies transmits OW damage (at least to the initial target). Since rabies doesn't cause LEB emission but is poison damage, adding OW damage to it vs. physical immune LEBs might be rather useful (assuming you care about the lightning).

Crystalion
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 01:10 AM (GMT)
9. "a little more testing"
In response to message #8

Rabies didn't xfer OW. The assassin shuriken throwing skill didn't either.

Tried a malice broad sword (100% OW) pvp (looks like OW works, probably without usual 1/4 pvp reduction--not sure). Tried the malice on hell Death Maulers under "players 8". It sure seemed like all the damage occurred over 4 seconds (and could not be "hurried" by stacking).

-- Crys

p.s. related trivia: I've wondered for some time who gets the xp when a monster dies from poison/OW but was touched (for damage that is) by someone else after the poison/OW was applied. Certain interesting xp twinking possibilities exist (as with Static Field) if xp goes to the last "touch" (e.g. poison nova, esp. preLoD).

Heri
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 02:21 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Heri Click to send private message to Heri Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
12. "RE: a little more testing"
In response to message #9

LAST EDITED ON 02-20-02 AT 04:03 PM (PST)

>Tried a malice broad sword (100% OW) pvp (looks like OW
>works, probably without usual 1/4 pvp reduction--not sure).
>Tried the malice on hell Death Maulers under "players 8". It
>sure seemed like all the damage occurred over 4 seconds (and
>could not be "hurried" by stacking).

Yes in PvP it's like Jarulf said 1/2 and it does not stack. Here are the two test values from my original thread:

clvl 85, 100% OW, 123-124 physical damage and 75% physical resistance of the target player:
One hit: 165 dam
Two hits: 193 dam

The first hit consists of 8 damage from the weapon (124/4*0.25) and 157 damage from OW (1/2 of the 314 for lvl 85 chars). After this first hit, the second one isn't affected by the target's physical resistance, so it should be 196 dam total (157+31), but the difference is very small.

EDIT: corrected explanation of my values (thx @ Madjai ).

Jarulf
Charter Member
21-Feb-02, 10:34 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Jarulf Click to send private message to Jarulf Click to add this user to your buddy list  
21. "RE: a little more testing"

>p.s. related trivia: I've wondered for some time who gets
>the xp when a monster dies from poison/OW but was touched
>(for damage that is) by someone else after the poison/OW was
>applied. Certain interesting xp twinking possibilities exist
>(as with Static Field) if xp goes to the last "touch" (e.g.
>poison nova, esp. preLoD).

Unless they changed in one of the 1.09 patches no one get any xp. The game does not keep track of who has "touched" a monster.

Crystalion
Charter Member
22-Feb-02, 10:45 PM (GMT)
27. "granting XP for delayed kills"
In response to message #21

>>p.s. related trivia: I've wondered for some time who gets
>>the xp when a monster dies from poison/OW but was touched
>>(for damage that is) by someone else after the poison/OW was
>>applied. Certain interesting xp twinking possibilities exist
>>(as with Static Field) if xp goes to the last "touch" (e.g.
>>poison nova, esp. preLoD).
>
>Unless they changed in one of the 1.09 patches no one get
>any xp. The game does not keep track of who has "touched" a
>monster.

Interesting. D1 kept track. I find it interesting trivia to note changes in programmer techniques between D1/2.

However your reply raises a minor technical question nonetheless. You see, after reading your post I quickly went and confirmed that delayed monster death by poison nova and by open wounds does indeed credit the xp (tested SP and MP/lan LoD v1.09c). The problem, of course, has to do with issues of overwriting poison/OW damage, since clearly the game must remember who applied the poison/OW ongoing damage in order to credit xp if that DoT kills the monster.

Alas I didn't have the patience to do tests at, say, 5 FPS, and at normal speed I could not discern if the poison green tinge had passed before the death of a mob first OWed then poison nova'ed (the xp credit went to the poisoner--the poison was about 50% HPs strong whereas the OW was going to kill the mob all by itself near the 4 second expiration).

While fooling around I did notice poison nova completely overwriting a poison arrow (arrow 401 poison over 10 seconds, nova slightly higher damage per frame but, of course, vastly shorter). I imagined, at this point, that having a self-dose of very strong but extremely short-lived poison would be useful, in the absence of antidotes

It would be nice to know, if you recall off of the top of your head, if OW/poison overwrite each other (and if so, always, or on the basis of damage/frame etc.).

-- Crys

p.s. I've heard people say OW doesn't work on bows, so I suppose the two LoD uniques, bow/xbow are broken, eh? Bummer.

As a minor trivia, it would seem pausible that summoning an iron golem from a Malice weapon and then Enchanting the golem ought to produce a golem doing 100% OW vs. phys immunes (presumably at the clvl of the summoner). Given the Eth bug, I'd assume the golem would always be hitting as well.

A more esoteric trivia would be to wonder if D2 uses "slots" ala D1 such that a long poison would enable a new player to join a game and immediately get xp (from the monster finally dying of poison after the poisoner had left the game). Of course under perfect conditions this might imply a rather odd event: "Welcome to the game. Congratulations, you have just killed Baal!".

Alas, with poison revamped (esp. poison nova duration) this is rather hard to do (I'm fond of my toxic hunter's bow of pestilence even though I haven't used it for real play in months, because 401/10 seconds is just so amusing).

Jarulf
Charter Member
25-Feb-02, 07:47 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Jarulf Click to send private message to Jarulf Click to add this user to your buddy list  
28. "RE: granting XP for delayed kills"
In response to message #27

>However your reply raises a minor technical question
>nonetheless. You see, after reading your post I quickly went
>and confirmed that delayed monster death by poison nova and
>by open wounds does indeed credit the xp (tested SP and
>MP/lan LoD v1.09c).

Interesting. I have never really looked ayt it but people seemed to say that you never got xp for poison kills. This was long ago before LoD of course. Since poison and OW seems to work by altering the life regen rate such death would be set by the function that handle the update of the character. It is possible that they added some check so that it can check who set any possible poison/OW effect and thus send that player (hireling, minion) as the "killer" onward to the death routine, or rather to the xp routine. The xp routine find the owner of any hireling/minion by the way. I really have not pondered much about this.

Perhaps it was that peopel said that poison kill did not use MF of killer since the item drop routine did not get the killer passed on. thus the xp rotuine COULD find the killer. I really can't tell. THe interesting question is then which effect affecting life regene is the the one telling who the killer is.

> The problem, of course, has to do with
>issues of overwriting poison/OW damage, since clearly the
>game must remember who applied the poison/OW ongoing damage
>in order to credit xp if that DoT kills the monster.

Yah.

>Alas I didn't have the patience to do tests at, say, 5 FPS,
>and at normal speed I could not discern if the poison green
>tinge had passed before the death of a mob first OWed then
>poison nova'ed (the xp credit went to the poisoner--the
>poison was about 50% HPs strong whereas the OW was going to
>kill the mob all by itself near the 4 second expiration).
>
>While fooling around I did notice poison nova completely
>overwriting a poison arrow (arrow 401 poison over 10
>seconds, nova slightly higher damage per frame but, of
>course, vastly shorter). I imagined, at this point, that
>having a self-dose of very strong but extremely short-lived
>poison would be useful, in the absence of antidotes

As for overruling an ongoing poison effect, the game simply compare the damage per frame value. So I suppose one can do cheesy things by having someone attack with a high damage poison effect with short duration. Not sure if there is such possible setups though.

>It would be nice to know, if you recall off of the top of
>your head, if OW/poison overwrite each other (and if so,
>always, or on the basis of damage/frame etc.).

Can't tell. Definately not based on which do most damage. I never checked the routine that implement "effects" on players/monsters. I was mostly happy to know that "this call sets the effect". The check for higher poison damage to over ride is NOT part of the "set effect" but code in the apply damage. Thus it would not be based on most damage. SInce "poisoned" and under "OW" is if I recall correctly two different effects, I see no problem of them running in parallell. No idea if they *set* the life regen value though, or simply modify it. It should be easy to verify if it nullify a high +life valeu from items. In the case of set, which ever is applied last would be in effect. For poison and OW on same attack, that would always be OW if I recall order correctly.

>
>-- Crys
>
>p.s. I've heard people say OW doesn't work on bows, so I
>suppose the two LoD uniques, bow/xbow are broken, eh?
>Bummer.

No idea about this.

>As a minor trivia, it would seem pausible that summoning an
>iron golem from a Malice weapon and then Enchanting the
>golem ought to produce a golem doing 100% OW vs. phys
>immunes (presumably at the clvl of the summoner). Given the
>Eth bug, I'd assume the golem would always be hitting as
>well.
>
>A more esoteric trivia would be to wonder if D2 uses "slots"
>ala D1 such that a long poison would enable a new player to
>join a game and immediately get xp (from the monster finally
>dying of poison after the poisoner had left the game). Of
>course under perfect conditions this might imply a rather
>odd event: "Welcome to the game. Congratulations, you have
>just killed Baal!".

No, no such things as slot (although each monster, player, missile and such has a unique idnumber that increases with each newly created (not sure if it inserts new ones if one is removed or if it simply go on). Each unit type (player, monster, items, missile and so on) has its own linked list set up for its data. These lists are held in the general game data structure. When a new unit is created, the game dynamically allocate memory for the needed data. In addition, several of the data for a specific unit itself is dynamically allocated structrues as needed. Much data is also stored as lists of data. Stats for example, including not only strength and such but all modifiers form items and many other things (in total almost 300 different ones), are stored as stat number and stat value for those stats the unit has. Most will be 0 or not used and that way memory for all those are not needed to be stored. It makes accessing the data slightly more time consuming though. References to monsters, players, items and such are in game always handled by pointer and never by any id number or such (although I think at times it may be checked to avoid something attacking itself and such), still this usually is handled by the pointers any way.

In addition to the game holding lists of all units, a room (a subsection of the map) holds its own lists of all units within that room and such. Hmm, not sure if all the above makes sense, it is a bit hard to explain in an easy to understand way. Hope you understood some though.

>Alas, with poison revamped (esp. poison nova duration) this
>is rather hard to do (I'm fond of my toxic hunter's bow of
>pestilence even though I haven't used it for real play in
>months, because 401/10 seconds is just so amusing).

Occhidiangela
Charter Member
26-Feb-02, 01:39 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Occhidiangela Click to send private message to Occhidiangela Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
30. "What About a Riphook Unique Razor Bow?"

I think Occhi my assassin has it.

Will take a look at her with this in hell on Realms this weekend.

Rip Hook has OW on it . . .

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!

Heri
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 03:00 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Heri Click to send private message to Heri Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
13. "RE: My testing does not confirm"
In response to message #8

LAST EDITED ON 02-20-02 AT 03:03 AM (PST)

>I can't get to Arreat Summit just now to check on the total
>HPs of the Death Maulers, but I strongly suspect the entire
>kill (taking more than a few OW hits) could, for example, be
>explained by OW damage *ignoring* physical resist should
>other damage make it through the monster's immunities.

I don't think so, because the monster's health goes down with each hit and OW does not stack (take a look at my two PvP values above). Also OW does it's damage over 4 seconds, but according to my tests, if I don't hit the monster, the health bar remains nearly the same, even with working OW.

The same with 50% physical resistant monsters. Their health only decreases remarkable with each hit, not between. Monsters which took 4X hits with 123-124 physical damage took only 2X hits with 100% OW. And I hit them a few times per second, so the OW damage of 78 per second is imho not enough to explain that.

Also my PvP results indicate that. The second hit - the first hit = 28 dam, and without physical resistance of the target the correct value would be 30-31.

Jarulf
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 05:39 AM (GMT)
14. "RE: My testing does not confirm"
In response to message #13

I would say that the health bar of a monster in realm games does not nessecarilly show correct value, or rather, it is not always updated. It seems that the client does not update the health bar based on life regen (includes poison and OW appearantly). Thus, you only see the health bar updated when you get a confirm from the server that the life has changed (or rather, the server tells the client that now the life is X for that monster). Thus the slow life lowering of OW, poison and even regeneration will not be reflected on the client until there is an update sent, for example after an attack made. It may thus seem that it was the attack that made the damage while in fact it was the work of OW inbetween the attacks.

Heri
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 03:48 PM (GMT)
15. "RE: My testing does not confirm"
In response to message #14

>I would say that the health bar of a monster in realm games
>does not nessecarilly show correct value

Maybe, but I tested only in singleplayer. The first feedback I received from realm players indicates that this bug or whatever does not occur there.

Ruvanal
Charter Member
21-Feb-02, 02:50 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ruvanal Click to send private message to Ruvanal Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
19. "RE: My testing does not confirm"
In response to message #15

Single player is actually a special case of the client-server model of the game. The main game still runs as a host/server and feeds the information to only one client (your display). You can still get all the lag effects in this set up as you get in a realm game.

Once my brother accidently put some malicious script on on my PC. It kept running a process in the background that ate up much of the systems internal bandwith. Diablo2 running in single player was getting ping times of over 4000 and the frame rate for the game dropped to 1-4 fps from its typical 60+ that it usually runs at.

So in single player you are not immune to these delayed update effects.

Heri
Charter Member
21-Feb-02, 03:50 AM (GMT)
20. "RE: My testing does not confirm"
In response to message #19

Well, let's try it from another point : while I was testing with 10% OW and the 4 seconds were elapsed, the normal life regeneration of the (now physical immune again) monster took place. And I saw this life regeneration everytime and very easy, I never saw clearly visible health bar dropping between my hits with 100% OW.
And I don't believe delayed update effects only take place at negative life regeneration caused by OW and not at positive regeneration.

Ruvanal
Charter Member
21-Feb-02, 01:34 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ruvanal Click to send private message to Ruvanal Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
22. "RE: My testing does not confirm"
In response to message #20

The life bar updating is an event driven system. No valid events, then no updates. What events drive this I do not know. While passively waiting and watching the monster you may have been getting more events through than when you were moving and attacking. I have frequently seen the 'regeneration' effect take significant jumps up when there has been a lot of activity in the area from other players. So even this kind of update can be effected in the same way as the damage dealing updates.

You shold also check some of my comments on the life bar itself in the poison thread on this page. The main point is that it does NOT display the life of a monster in an even proportional manner. This makes the life bar a very poormethod for measuring the life drop of a monster.

For example from a test I was doing to determine the life scaling on monster when using the players X command (this site was down and I couldn't look up the previous posts on this point), I observed the following. Using a sorceress with a Ice Bolt that I could easily set specific damage settings (min dam=max dam), I could get a monster with 100 hit points and kill it with 1-100 point hit. If I used 4-25 point shots it would die also. But after the third shot the life bar was usually less than 1/10 its full length. If I used a 99 point damage shot it would not kill the monster. If I used 3-33 point shots or 4-24 point shots, these would not kill the monster either. My point is the life bar is extreamly inaccurate in displaying the amount of life that a monster has and is a poor method for measuring the damage that you do to a monster.

The only way that I have found that is accurate in determining these states is to use modded games for tests. To run the test both with the monster being able to barely survive the damage and again with the same type of monster set with just the exact hit points to die from the effects of what you are testing. Anything else leaves the margin for error in your observations in the area of 20+% of the monster total hit points. P.S. in a mod you can set the monster hit points to be an exact value and not a range as you would have to deal with in a open game.

Heri
Charter Member
21-Feb-02, 03:27 PM (GMT)
23. "Yes, that's it, no bug, no lowered resistance *sigh*"
In response to message #22

LAST EDITED ON 02-21-02 AT 03:49 PM (PST)

Yes, you're right. The event driven display system caused the whole confusion. I damaged them only on successful hits because that was a trigger for their health bar. In reality only OW works on PI, after their regenaration is triggered by some damage (because they are PI it has to be elemental/magical damage).
New tests with 50% physical resistance monsters with an eye on that phenomenon, it's quite sure that is the same (at the previous tests my targets had too low life and the weapon damage was too low compared with the OW damage, both at PvM and PvP).

Thanks for your hints .

Hm, perhaps I should better stick to weapon speed measurings and calculator programming than doing such exotic testings .

Ruvanal
Charter Member
21-Feb-02, 07:01 PM (GMT)
24. "RE: Yes, that's it, no bug, no lowered resistance *sigh*"
In response to message #23

Actually setting up mods to do the kind of testing that you were trying is not too hard if you use Fusman's "-direct -txt" method. You may want to check into that at Phrozen Keep. You can get much more acurate results with it.

Epi
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 04:00 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Epi Click to send private message to Epi Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
16. "AmazonBasin IP"

>p.s. over a week ago DNS stopped giving me a resolve for
>theamazonbasin. Did they go under? If not, does someone have
>the IP for forums.theamazonbasin.com so I can continue to
>peruse there?

forums.theamazonbasin.com. has address 216.40.226.19

Crystalion
Charter Member
22-Feb-02, 10:06 PM (GMT)
26. "RE: AmazonBasin IP LMHOSTS workaround"
In response to message #16

Thanks to Epi for writing:
>forums.theamazonbasin.com. has address 216.40.226.19

Turns out, ironically, that I could get through via DNS for the first time in over a week right after I read your post. On the off chance anyone reading this has had the same intermittent problem a post there discusses altering your Windows LMHOSTS file...
amazon basin dns foo fix post

-- Crys

FoxBat
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 04:17 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail FoxBat Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
17. "Buginess"

Either way, I would bet that any physical attack that can cut through physical *immunity* is a bug.

Seven Lances v 1.06 - D2X Balance
D2Accelerator v 1.01 - D2 Performance

Jarulf
Charter Member
21-Feb-02, 01:58 AM (GMT)
18. "RE: Buginess"
In response to message #17

>Either way, I would bet that any physical attack that can
>cut through physical *immunity* is a bug.

For the record, OW is not a physical attack. Actually, its damage is undefined since it is not done through any normal atack routines, it simply lowers the life regeneration of the target.

Den_of_Earth
Charter Member
22-Feb-02, 06:50 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Den_of_Earth Click to send private message to Den_of_Earth Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
25. "Life Drain Weapon"
In response to message #18

I guess the ultimate non-physical damage weapon would have; prevent monster heal, open wounds, and poison (MAL UM TAL).

Den

http://slam-pit.com

Karon
Member since 1-Feb-03
26-Feb-02, 11:52 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Karon Click to send private message to Karon Click to add this user to your buddy list  
31. "RE: Translated for the Lazy"

Quote:
Generally I think so too in my experience.
But here is an unique X-bow:
"Langer Briser Arbalest" has 33% OW.
Don't know if its OW works or not,for i can't
make a quick test recently.Some1 else knows it?

Heri
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 02:07 AM (GMT)
10. "RE: The Secret Use of Open Wounds"

>PS: Heri, are you the same Heri that posted this?

Yes.

Jarulf
Charter Member
20-Feb-02, 02:08 AM (GMT)
11. "RE: The Secret Use of Open Wounds"

LAST EDITED ON 02-20-02 AT 02:09 AM (PST)

The formula at AS is correct for damage, it is (9*clvl+40)/256 per frame for 100 frames. So total damage would be:

100*(9*clvl+40)/256

or roughly:

3.6*clvl + 15.6

For a level 80 char this is roughly 300 points of damage, not bad

The damage is halved versus players, bosses and also champions I think.

There is NO resistance applied to this, not even versus physical damage. I am not aware if it tampers with the targets physical resistance though. Can't remember seeing any such thing but then, can't say I have not seen it either

This damage is not an attack, but rather lowers the life regeneration value (again, unless my memory is very bad ). Thus no other damage modifying effects affect it either.

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic