Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Maggot Lair
Diablo II Bug Discussion
Think you've found a new bug? Want to find out about the bugs present in Diablo II? Here you'll find discussion of gameplay bugs. Note that this isn't a technical support forum.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Cast on attack bug. Any informations ?" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Maggot Lair Topic #924
Reading Topic #924
Corwin_Brute
Charter Member
26-Nov-01, 08:19 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Corwin_Brute Click to send private message to Corwin_Brute Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
"Cast on attack bug. Any informations ?"

A little while after 1.09, a strange bug occured : items with chances to cast XXX on attacking/hitting/being hit started not to work with any degree of consistency. The animation occured client-side, which means that an information of some sort was sent by the server, but nothing happened (spells did no damage, curses didn't catch...).

Items with such mods (I mostly saw this with Oculus (chance of teleport) and Witchwild String (chance of Amplify Damage)) worked randomly from game to game, up to a point where they didn't work at all (should have traded for 1.08 Saracen's Chance back then). It seems now that the bug is at least partially fixed.

This bug shows us that many, many things can happen server-side without any warning for us.

Anyone has news, explanations, additional information ?

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Cast on attack bug. Any informations ? [View All] Corwin_Brute 26-Nov-01 TOP
  Infernostride working Griseldaadmin 26-Nov-01 1
     it was working tonight, i think wolf 26-Nov-01 3
         RE: it was working tonight, i think TheDragoon 07-Dec-01 6
             RE: it was working tonight, i think wolf 07-Dec-01 7
             RE: it was working tonight, i think wolfance 07-Dec-01 8
  hm.... xzb 26-Nov-01 2
  RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ? RunnerUp 30-Nov-01 4
  RE: Crackmonkey's baaaaaaaack LemmingofGloryadmin 04-Dec-01 5
     RE: Crackmonkey's baaaaaaaack Ice 19-Jan-02 9
     RE: Crackmonkey's baaaaaaaack BobThePumpkin 18-Apr-02 15
  RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ? Pren 28-Jan-02 10
     RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ? gorn 30-Jan-02 11
         RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ? WarBlade 30-Jan-02 12
             RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ? Kyrene 04-Feb-02 13
             RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ? RedRocker 11-Apr-02 14

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Griseldaadmin
Charter Member
26-Nov-01, 10:42 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Griselda Click to send private message to Griselda Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "Infernostride working"
In response to message #0

Within the past week, I have seen infernostride boots work. We didn't test enough to find if the % chance to cast is correct or consistent from game to game though. Your theory about different server code and "hot" hunting times is interesting.

-Griselda

wolf
Charter Member
26-Nov-01, 03:29 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail wolf Click to send private message to wolf Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "it was working tonight, i think"
In response to message #1

i took one of my old babas out for a spin this evening (useast) and was pleased to find that after being knocked around by lister et al, i was casting blaze. wheee.

- wolf
don't stick marbles in your nose.

TheDragoon
Charter Member
07-Dec-01, 04:43 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail TheDragoon Click to send private message to TheDragoon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
6. "RE: it was working tonight, i think"
In response to message #3

I love those boots! I use them on my sorc, not for the extra fire resistance or running speed, but because I think it's funny to run around with fire behind you after getting his a few times!

I've had some people in games mock me for using them (kind of a sad commentary on the state of battle.net, if you ask me) but I don't think you'll ever find someone who loves seeing their boots in action as much as me!

-TheDragoon

The HMB Trombone Section

"...as the hammer fell, the world cried out in agony. The sky darkened, the rivers ran red with blood. But nothing could stop the downward arc of Rune Smasher as TheDragoon brought it down upon the offending stone, placed on hellforge." -The Destruction of Zod

Now Enter TheDragoon's Realm
The UW Husky Bones
My Werebear Guide
My Werewolf Guide

wolf
Charter Member
07-Dec-01, 05:38 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail wolf Click to send private message to wolf Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "RE: it was working tonight, i think"
In response to message #6

ahhhh, me too. i don't even know what the other mods on the boots are; i just like having a baba who casts blaze. it goes off quite a bit in cow games, and i like drawing shapes with it on the ground.

- wolf
"they that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- benjamin franklin (1706-1790), "historical review of pennsylvania"

wolfance
Charter Member
07-Dec-01, 05:45 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail wolfance Click to send private message to wolfance Click to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "RE: it was working tonight, i think"
In response to message #6

I put them on my bowazon i started and it was funny, if i got hit by an arrow and set it off, i would run "away" and those archers would close in trying to shoot me, walking through the fires. Once i said Help, someone cast blaze ON ME, im dying, and someone said drink your revs, hurry, hurry. (i laughed so hard) (he was a newbie)

WolfBasher's home page
Wolfance

xzb
Charter Member
26-Nov-01, 03:13 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail xzb Click to send private message to xzb Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "hm...."

Hmm.. I do remember the oculus not working before the latest patch came out(1.09c i think?).
As for 1.08 Saracen's, it works, but whenever it does cast amp, my attack gets interrupted, but i dont know if thats a bug or just meant to happen. Also, the IM on Sarecen's works fine.

k thx bye.

RunnerUp
Charter Member
30-Nov-01, 07:55 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail RunnerUp Click to send private message to RunnerUp Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ?"

This problem is probably not client/server related, since I have
had it happen to me in single player.

LemmingofGloryadmin
Charter Member
04-Dec-01, 10:04 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail LemmingofGlory Click to send private message to LemmingofGlory Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: Crackmonkey's baaaaaaaack"

Once again Blizzard patches one thing and somehow manages to break another.

>The animation occured
>client-side, which means that an
>information of some sort was
>sent by the server, but
>nothing happened (spells did no
>damage, curses didn't catch...).

I've had that problem with the following items:
Amulet of Hydra Shield (No Hydras)
The Oculus (No Teleport)
Blackleach Blade (No Weaken)
Infernostride (No Blaze)

Prior to v1.09c, Blackleach and Infernostride worked. I didn't have the Hydra Shield amulet or the Oculus prior to the patch.

All of my experiences with these items occured on Open. I've had a few people test Infernostride on *realms* and say it works, but in my SP testing hasn't gotten a single Blaze to start up. (Standing in the middle of a mob of Fetishes and drinking a few belt-fulls of pots should've at least made ONE Blaze start up. And that's just one of the tests I performed...)

*LEMMING*

Ice
Charter Member
19-Jan-02, 03:24 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ice Click to send private message to Ice Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
9. "RE: Crackmonkey's baaaaaaaack"
In response to message #5

In Open, I've had mixed experience with my zon. Her Hellmouth gauntlets seems to work fine, releasing meteors VERY frequently (but I'm not sure if they actually do any damage) but none of her amplify damage items work. Her three amulets (1.08 Saracen's, 1.09 Saracen's and 1.09 Atma's Scarab) all don't show any signs of working at all while her Witchwild String shows the area of effect of a curse but none of the monsters get the curse animation on their head.

Ice(BNR)
Shadow Sanctuary

BobThePumpkin
Member since 20-Jan-03
18-Apr-02, 10:19 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail BobThePumpkin Click to send private message to BobThePumpkin Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
15. "RE: Crackmonkey's baaaaaaaack"
In response to message #5

"Once again Blizzard patches one thing and somehow manages to break another."
Constantly updating Diablo II with new content (bugs)? Practicing for World of Warcraft? Hmm... Maybe theyre training their crack team (pun intended) for World of Warcraft. And, yes, I know I stole that joke from Diabloii.net, but it was so funny when I read it that I had to use it again.

Rain does not fall on one roof alone

Pren
Charter Member
28-Jan-02, 07:49 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Pren Click to send private message to Pren Click to add this user to your buddy list  
10. "RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ?"

LAST EDITED ON 01-28-02 AT 07:49 PM (PST)

My new assassin just found an awesome rare amulet (well, awesome for act1) with %cast FN on hit. Unfortunately it doesn't work either. Edit: Single player

It's really amazing how so many of the 'features' of the expansion don't work, and blizzard has effectively stopped supporting the game...

gorn
Charter Member
30-Jan-02, 04:18 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail gorn Click to send private message to gorn Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
11. "RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ?"
In response to message #10

Yup, makes me even happier I didn't buy the LoD patch. I warned ppl that buying it would only encourage Blizz to keep up their practices (used the LCD argument, Boogietron and Vormaerin still haven't admitted I was right ). All I've heard is complaining about it since release. Just goes to show that even I can be right every blue moon, even when I don't wanna be. Still surprising how quickly they've bailed on the xpack tho. I didn't think they were that crooked.

Sorry the ammy doesn't work for ya, Pren.

token bug comment: I thought Smite always hit, but I've noticed a fairly high frequency of misses, particularily when surrounded by things like grotesques and maggots. What's the problem there?

token bug comment 2: After using Smite quite frequently lately, I've noticed that in the animation, the Paly takes his sword out of the way (as it were) to Smite with the shield. Hence the speed req for yer weapon being important. Just thought I'd share that I think it's a feature not poor coding or ignoring a bug.

-D. (gorn),
"Get me a Glenlivet. Glenfiddich. Any Glen will do."

WarBlade
Charter Member
30-Jan-02, 05:47 PM (GMT)
Click to send private message to WarBlade Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
12. "RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ?"
In response to message #11

LAST EDITED ON 01-30-02 AT 05:50 PM (PST)

"I thought Smite always hit, but I've noticed a fairly high frequency of misses, particularily when surrounded by things like grotesques and maggots. What's the problem there?"

It's more like an Ignores Target Defence attack than an auto-hit as you suggest. You are still capped at 95% whatever you do. As for the mobbing from 'young' you'll be in block and hit recovery animations a fair bit, which might explain the reduction in successful attacks.

As for Cast on Attack in general . . .

My observations in single-player are that it never works. Ever. With some of them, the animation goes off, but in all cases no further effect occurs. Monsters don't take damage. And I've even come to the conclusion that Cast when Hit has suffering the same fate. I've seen frost novas go off frequently, but monsters just don't get chilled.

It was all working fine back in 1.09b . . . (or was that 1.09 now? I forget)

==========================================
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War

Kyrene
Charter Member
04-Feb-02, 03:02 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Kyrene Click to send private message to Kyrene Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
13. "RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ?"
In response to message #12

I still have 1.09 (or 1.09a if you wish) and the only thing I have (with limited equipment to test) seen broken is Chance to Cast CL/Lightning on Attack with a ranged weapon. It works fine with a melee attack though. Other things like AD, FNova, Nova, et al work fine and do damage (enough to sometimes see stun animation with lower level monsters).

RedRocker
Charter Member
11-Apr-02, 06:07 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail RedRocker Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
14. "RE: Cast on attack bug. Any informations ?"
In response to message #12

"My observations in single-player are that it never works. Ever. With some of them, the animation goes off, but in all cases no further effect occurs. Monsters don't take damage."

My pally just found The Fetid Sprinkler, I was happy until I noticed that decrepify and confuse would never work. It pisses me off to know that Blizzard won't do anything about this. Heh, maybe I should re-install Fallout 2 instead, less bugs and closer to a true RPG than D2 =)

==============
The Red Rocker

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You should have read the blueprints closer, Sigma. There is only one Zero!

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic