Forum spam
If a post only uses one letter (even if repeatedly), or even one letter + spaces could the software be set to automatically delete it? There have been quite a few of those lately. Next up, add a spell check, if there is a typo the post should get automatically deleted:).
Quote:If a post only uses one letter (even if repeatedly), or even one letter + spaces could the software be set to automatically delete it? There have been quite a few of those lately. Next up, add a spell check, if there is a typo the post should get automatically deleted:).

k
Quote:10 Political discussions are prohibited, as is any discussion on religion and religious matters.
:huh:

Who is this person, why are they posting forum rules and what does martial arts have to do with the LL?:unsure:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Looks like a spammer (character name of US is a dead giveaway). Although that seems like a really odd thing to spam with.

Is there a way to auto-ban based on how they fill fields out? It seems that all of the bots put a country in the character name.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Buncha spam in D2 section been reported for a while, nothin' happening.

Medwin has a bunch of non-advertising, but nonsensical posts that are likely just to get his sig-link into posts.
Then there's a couple obvious ads as well from other new users responding to several year old posts.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:Buncha spam in D2 section been reported for a while, nothin' happening.
Refrigerator was the only admin in the D2 boards. The "Report Spam" button sends a message to the forum moderator.

As he's long gone, I've added myself to the mod list there so I'll get the notifications. Thanks for the heads-up.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Is anyone going to do anything about the current round of spam in the lounge (I'm referring to the posts by mickycrueser)? I reported them yesterday, but they're still there.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(07-21-2010, 01:22 AM)LennyLen Wrote: Is anyone going to do anything about the current round of spam in the lounge (I'm referring to the posts by mickycrueser)? I reported them yesterday, but they're still there.

I often report several spam posts a day. I saw the posts by mickycrueser and just did not bother to report them. After some point what's the reason? The spammers seem to have won.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(07-21-2010, 04:04 AM)LavCat Wrote:
(07-21-2010, 01:22 AM)LennyLen Wrote: Is anyone going to do anything about the current round of spam in the lounge (I'm referring to the posts by mickycrueser)? I reported them yesterday, but they're still there.

I often report several spam posts a day. I saw the posts by mickycrueser and just did not bother to report them. After some point what's the reason? The spammers seem to have won.

The posts are gone now, so it's a victory for us. Hurrah!

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

(07-21-2010, 04:38 AM)LennyLen Wrote: The posts are gone now, so it's a victory for us. Hurrah!

"So the battle's done,
And we sort of won,
So we give or victory cheer.
Where do we go from here?"

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

"We shall defend our forum whatever the cost may be; we shall fight in The Crossroads, The Maggot Lair, Gnomeregan, in Griswold's Shop and in Atmar's tavern. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this forum or a large part of it were subjugated and spammed, then our parent site on a server beyond the seas, armed and guarded by Firewalls and Black Ice, will carry on the struggle until in The Flying Spaghetti Monster's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old. .."

Sir Bolty Churchill

-W.C. Fields
You guys are cute. Smile We get 1-2 spammers a week in here now, instead of literally 8-10 a day that we used to. There are loads of automated scripts that are keeping the spammers out.

Yes, the response time is lower because there's only one moderator in place. That may change if the forum activity rises.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(07-22-2010, 09:00 PM)Bolty Wrote: You guys are cute. Smile We get 1-2 spammers a week in here now, instead of literally 8-10 a day that we used to. There are loads of automated scripts that are keeping the spammers out.

The ones that manages to pass through the gate seems to me, are getting better and better at trying to pass off as human.

Like this one.
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/threa...#pid177960

I honestly can't be 100% sure if it's a spambot, or just a netiquette challeged human.

The only major things to me are they seem to post a lot in a short amount of time, and\or necroposting. The spambots content can sometime pass as generic random semi-inane banter. Sometimes even matching the quality of the old fashioned, human crafted generic random semi inane banter.

Or maybe it's a combination of humans getting weaker, and bots getting stronger.

Man...I remember the good ole' days when troll spams were handcrafted by generations of organic trolls. Now with improvements in automation, it's getting harder and harder for me to tell if a troll is truly an organic brand, or some cheap mechanized imitation.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't see a victory cheer here yet. These autospambots took our organic troll jobs. THEY TOOK OUR JERBS!!11
Quote:I honestly can't be 100% sure if it's a spambot, or just a netiquette challeged human.

It's a spammer, and probably a bot. I googled a portion of the content of that post, and a user with the same name posted on several other forums that had the word Lounge either in the forum name or in a subforum name. The exact same text was in each post. On each forum, the user also made the requisite number of replies required to be allowed to start a new thread.

The regularity of the posts made on each forum makes me suspect it was a bot, as a human waiting for the amount of time needed to post again would probably get distracted by other things and not post so regularly.

-W.C. Fields
Don't get me wrong here, when I say less than 100% I don't mean a '12 Angry Men' wrenching dilemma on determining if it's a bot or not.

It's probably more like 97% sure that it's a spambot. My main point is that while they're still far from flawless, they are improving on their attempt at passing of as humanoid like.

Compared to before, where they're dead easy to spot and confirm in under a second.*

*Time measurement only used as a figure of speech, any measurements, percentages expressed and actual time measurement may vary. Guarantee of accuracy not offered or implied in any of the above statement. Guarantee not valid in Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico.
Quote:My main point is that while they're still far from flawless, they are improving on their attempt at passing of as humanoid like.

Definitely without a doubt. There's been some good research done into making AIs seem more human lately (there hadn't been a lot of change in the way they operated for the last decade or so before that). Once the techniques become commonplace, the only way you'll be bale to detect the spambots is from the links in their posts.

-W.C. Fields
The solution has been found. (NSFW, language)
Is it, or would it be possible to report spam by user, rather than by post?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
And, with the latest pond scum that slithered our way, I went looking for an ignore that I thought I remembered seeing something about, but I couldn't find. Is a user ignore just something I dreamed up or am I blind and not seeing it?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Ideally it would be great if I could delete all posts when I ban a spammer. >.>