The D1 Meet'n'Greet
Hi,

(08-05-2010, 04:37 PM)weakwarrior Wrote: From the Oxford English Dictionary
"1865 DICKENS Mut. Fr. xii. 228 Anyways, I am glad, etc."

It is archaic or dialect. So, in modern correct English, it doesn't qualify as a word. The OED lists many 'things' that authors have used, often putting the words in the mouths of their character to indicate lack of education, intelligence, or sophistication. If you wish to speak like an ignorant, stupid boor feel free to do so. We'll take you at your self evaluation, no matter how low.

Quote:Grammar nazis be damned; and no I won't capitalize nazi!

Good for you. Since capital 'N' Nazi referrers to the fascist party in Germany in the '30s and early '40s (and the modern morons who are called neo-Nazis) and lower case 'n' nazi usually is a pejorative term referring to an over controlling individual, you actually are using it right.

Then again, you might want to change it. Wouldn't want people to think you use correct grammar, would you? Might hurt your street cred.

Big GrinBig Grin

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

ur jk right? irregardless of ur comments the strete creed of myne aint' dowted.

(08-05-2010, 05:22 PM)--Pete Wrote: Good for you. Since capital 'N' Nazi referrers to the fascist party in Germany in the '30s and early '40s (and the modern morons who are called neo-Nazis) and lower case 'n' nazi usually is a pejorative term referring to an over controlling individual, you actually are using it right.
The OED capitalizes Nazi when used as a "person who is perceived to be authoritarian, autocratic, or inflexible; one who seeks to impose his or her views upon others. Usu. derogatory." Ducks and hides.
Hi,

(08-05-2010, 05:28 PM)weakwarrior Wrote: ur jk right? irregardless of ur comments the strete creed of myne aint' dowted.

Well played. Smile I had to fix my spell checker an Alka-Seltzer. Tongue

Quote:The OED capitalizes Nazi when used as a "person who is perceived to be authoritarian, autocratic, or inflexible; one who seeks to impose his or her views upon others. Usu. derogatory."

And many other dictionaries don't. Let the Shaw wars begin.

Quote:Ducks and hides.

"You can run, but you can't hide." -- Paraphrased from some Joe or other. Wink

--Pete

(08-05-2010, 05:55 PM)--Pete Wrote: Well played. Smile I had to fix my spell checker an Alka-Seltzer. Tongue
I hope it's feeling better. Shouldn't 'spell checker' be hyphenated? Smile
(08-05-2010, 05:55 PM)--Pete Wrote: And many other dictionaries don't. Let the Shaw wars begin.
That's over my head. What are 'Shaw wars'?
(08-05-2010, 05:55 PM)--Pete Wrote: "You can run, but you can't hide." -- Paraphrased from some Joe or other. Wink
Too true.
Hi,

(08-05-2010, 06:11 PM)weakwarrior Wrote: That's over my head. What are 'Shaw wars'?

G.B. Shaw is said to have said, "America and England; two great nations separated by a common language."

There is no 'u' in 'honour'. Wink

--Pete

(08-05-2010, 06:23 PM)--Pete Wrote: G.B. Shaw is said to have said, "America and England; two great nations separated by a common language."
Thanks.
(08-05-2010, 06:23 PM)--Pete Wrote: There is no 'u' in 'honour'. Wink
Brilliant!
Hi,

(08-05-2010, 04:37 PM)weakwarrior Wrote: Edit - I edited this post at the same time that Pete responded so his quote of my comment is an accurate one. Sorry about that.

Besides, if he hadn't said it, I'd have had to pretend he had or we'd have missed out on all that fun. Smile

--Pete

(08-05-2010, 09:48 PM)--Pete Wrote: Besides, if he hadn't said it, I'd have had to pretend he had or we'd have missed out on all that fun. Smile
The reason I edited my original post is because I realized that I had misused the OED. The full quote of the OED is
Quote:anyways, adv. and conj.
1. adv. In any way, in any respect, at all.

c1560 Bk. Comm. Prayer, All those who are any ways afflicted..in mind, body, or estate. 1638 PRESTON Mount Ebal 10 As the Rudder of a ship, which turnes it any wayes. 1673 RAY Jrny. thro' Low Countries Ded., If either Catalogue or Observations prove any ways useful. 1794 SOUTHEY Wat Tyler III. i, Who may have been anyways concerned in the late insurrections. 1834 DE QUINCEY Cæsars Wks. X. 61 Nor was such an interference..anyways injurious.

2. advb. conj. In any case, at all events, anyhow. dial. or illiterate.

1865 DICKENS Mut. Fr. xii. 228 Anyways, I am glad, etc.

Now I moved so quickly to post that I didn't notice how after the Dickens' quote it says "dial. or illiterate." Having realized that I decided to edit the post to use the first definition (which is not described as dialect or illiterate). Of course by the time I finished my edit you had already called me on the fact that Dickens may well have used 'anyways' to indicate that the character wasn't well educated. And you were correct. I ran, but I couldn't hide.
(08-16-2010, 12:40 AM)Valhauros Wrote: Greetings to everyone, I've been on and off of the Diablo1 community since around 1999, changing twice my username and recently settling with this one. Due to personal issues, I left the scene last year and now, a month ago, while finding my Diablo CD, I decided to visit the old community sites... to my dismay I found several websites deleted, the Lounge's frontpage non-existant and a direct link to the forums. After I little search I found the explanation; still, it saddens me a little to see how every passing year, the Diablo sites end up disappearing, one by one.

Anyway, today I entered various channels in the US West, East, and Europe Gateways, and found almost no people to play with, mostly bots (Even in Diablo LE). Is there any other channel that's relatively populated that I might have forgotten, or maybe a particular hour/day in which people tend to play?

That is actually a good idea. What we could do is either try channeling more people into channels like Diablo LE(if theres still enough players we can set up channels for US east, west, Europe and Asia...) or perhaps we could try setting up a channel of our own? and perhaps seeing as battlenet may shut down soon(not entirely sure on this) we could eventually try to set up a permanent hamachi network for diablo, or whatever...better if its free but you get what you can, right? Im not exactly computer wise though and have no clue how to do this. But its an idea none the less.

Also if anyone knows a place to get hellfire fixed it would be appreciated if someone posted it. I would make it my personal duty to keep it alive if i had it. (by keep it alive i mean make it permanently available)

Edit: Note to everyone not to talk on skype while playing diablo online because it seems to cause extreme lag or extreme speed(or maybe its just me? lol). Side effects include death. lol.
Quote:
I can see what you see not
Vision milky, then eyes rot
When you turn they will be gone
Whispering their hidden song
Then you see what cannot be
Shadows move where light should be
Out of darkness, out of mind
Cast down into the halls of the blind
:-)

I'm so happy to find this D1 forum !

Nice tooooooooooo meet !
Diablo LE is pretty much officially dead. But Deu-1 in Europe is very active these days, lots of 40+ chars doing hell/hell co-ops. A few lower lvls also for those that dont have a high lvl char, and some ironman and PvP as well. Just use my AGoodStudent bot to see whos online or been online with =seenonline, =30seen, or =seen username.

The Freshmeat site is hosting another PvP event soon as well, Brothers in Arms, which will be 2v2 duels. If you want to partcipate I suggest you find a partner ASAP and email Shade, as many spots are already allocated. With the recent succesful completion of the Ironman event Stairway to Hell 2 and all the prior events, I expect this one to have a good turnout as well. Shade has done a spectacular job hosting these events keeping the legit d1 community alive.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
so what is the channel password for Deu-1 on europe realm?
all channels on d1 are public.

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(10-03-2010, 07:52 AM)FireIceTalon Wrote: all channels on d1 are public.

well it says it's a "restricted channel and you are not authorized to enter it". so how do i get authorization, or can i not get in cause i'm in the us on the east coast. thank you.
(10-03-2010, 01:59 PM)sandra11bullock Wrote:
(10-03-2010, 07:52 AM)FireIceTalon Wrote: all channels on d1 are public.

well it says it's a "restricted channel and you are not authorized to enter it". so how do i get authorization, or can i not get in cause i'm in the us on the east coast. thank you.

I don't think you are trying deu-1 but Diablo Deu-1. And this works on my PC. All channels exist on all realms but realms are separate from each other. Thus, there exist four separate channels for each name which are not connected to each other, one on each realm.

From what I know, aside from some channels in the list, when using Diablo you can only enter channels starting with Diablo, then a space and not following II, that is: no entrance to Diablo II channels, another possible channel is just Diablo. Channel names are case-insensitive.
ok, i wasn't using the full name. so at what time are players in there?
I just found out about the chat channels and that a small community of legit D1 players still exist =D, but Deu-1 seems to be empty QQ around what time do people usually come on?
Best time to log into Deu-1 is anywhere between say midnight to about 3 pm or so (Pacific Time). Most of the Germans are in bed by about 3-4 pm west coast time (or midnight to 1 am their time). Right now its 11 am my time, 8 pm their time and im in the channel right now. About 8 people there are the moment but sometimes there is quite a few on and generally its fairly easy to get a game going.

So I went to register, and my user name was already taken. Being a fairly unique name, I figured I had already registered. I signed in, and the notice said I last signed in in 2008. Lol.

Anyways, there seems to be a little activity here, so I thought I'd post. I just loaded up Diablo 1 after spending some time thinking about it. I'd love to have another swing at it. I'm looking for other people who are still playing or would like to restart.

What do you guys say? Aside from some game play issues and that annoying color thing, the game still seems to hold up. I'd like to do a legit playthrough with a few other folks.
Hi all. Just registered to get the Hellfire A5 patch. After some timem I've started playing Diablo / Hellfire again. Won the Diablo but I don't feel a big change when I used the nightmare / hell hack (though yes, simple skeletons die from 1 firebolt lvl 10 and grant about 500 xp for lvl 25 char). Normal is easy though my mage had to fight with soul burners on lvl 15. Spent a ****load of money on Golem spell - which is completely unnecessary for me (slow, no AI, zero usefulness, too high mana cost). Chain Lightning wasn't also useful for me but maybe it needs a few lvls (regular Lightning was at level 9 or 10). Or I was using it plainly wrong. Haven't played Diablo / Hellfire really on nightmare / hell modes and there's a lot of nice mods (Awakening, Belzebub, The Hell).

Got tired with Diablo 2 when I was unable to do Ancients on hell (sorceress). They're invincible for me!