Quirks on the Diablo CD
Lightbulb 
I figured out the other day that you could install Diablo V1.00 from a V1.08 patched (BattleChest) disk. When you pop the CD in, it automatically runs a updated version of the original Autorun (AUTORUN.EXE), which has been renamed to INSTALL.EXE. To install the unpatched Diablo, run the original autorun (it should still be on your disk, as it is on mine.) file (AUTORUN.EXE) from the disk. Choose Install Diablo from the list. (Make sure it has what would be the Diablo desktop icon to the left of the text, otherwise you will probably ... wait, just look and see if it says Install Direct X 5.0. The V1.08 autorun has 7.0. Note that you will probably not be able to install Direct X 5, as the what would be the install directory for Direct X has 7.0 in the directory name.) You should be able to install - - and play - - Diablo V1.00. Note that if you have already installed Diablo V1.08 from the disk (New autorun file, INSTALL.EXE), then it will instead say Play Diablo. Voila! Diablo V1.00, as in the old fart version with tons more bugs!

And while were on the subject of the Diablo CD... Seen that invert thing with the old autorun where it says Buy War2 and Natalie Portman rocks?

And also while were on the subject of the CD... I found another way to install and play Diablo (either V1.00 or V1.08 or whatever) without the actual cd, and, disregarding whether you may or may not have figured it out as well, this is for those who haven't.
PRE-1. If you already have Diablo installed, uninstall it. Don't forget to save your character files or you'll have to start all over.
1. Make a directory on your hard drive (Normally C: or D: ) named DiabloCD or similar. You know what, name it anything.
2. Copy EVERYTHING from the Diablo CD or ISO image into the directory you made specifically for it.
3. Install it from the directory.
4. Play.
If you know your registry entries, then you can edit the value type thingy (I think its named DiabloCD or summat.) to the directory. You can play the game you already had installed from your machine - with ABSOLUTELY NO CD!

Kudos,
Amarksys
Wow!

Two things I have never heard before. Thanks for the info. I like the bit about copying the cd information. That will be useful with other games as well.
Doesn't work for me...
Could you get into detail about the following
Quote: If you know your registry entries, then you can edit the value type thingy (I think its named DiabloCD or summat.) to the directory.
What do I need to edit and where?
You need to edit this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Archives\DiabloCD
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:And also while were on the subject of the CD... I found another way to install and play Diablo (either V1.00 or V1.08 or whatever) without the actual cd, and, disregarding whether you may or may not have figured it out as well, this is for those who haven't.

I could not get this to work. It may be a 1.09 issue.
Quote:I could not get this to work. It may be a 1.09 issue.

It's not an 1.09 issue, as I'm running 1.09 without ever installing it.

-W.C. Fields
(10-18-2010, 12:08 PM)LennyLen Wrote:

I copied the files from the Diablo cd. I placed them in a folder called CD within the Diablo directory(created before installation). I installed from there. I checked the registry after the installation and it pointed to the CD folder. I cannot figure out why it is not working. It gives me the "no cd" message. I am using XP SP3. Has anyone else had this problem?
(07-24-2010, 09:01 PM)Plague Wrote: Doesn't work for me...
Could you get into detail about the following
Quote: If you know your registry entries, then you can edit the value type thingy (I think its named DiabloCD or summat.) to the directory.
What do I need to edit and where?

I think it's in HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Archives.
At least, it was on my machine. the key is DiabloCD. change it to the directory of your c:\install.
(10-18-2010, 05:57 PM)GhastMaster Wrote:
(10-18-2010, 12:08 PM)LennyLen Wrote:

I copied the files from the Diablo cd. I placed them in a folder called CD within the Diablo directory(created before installation). I installed from there. I checked the registry after the installation and it pointed to the CD folder. I cannot figure out why it is not working. It gives me the "no cd" message. I am using XP SP3. Has anyone else had this problem?

I recently reinstalled vista (bad idea, i know). I can't do it now either.

Any ideas on how to get it to use the directory or iso file?
Vista/Windows 7
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Blizzard Entertainment\Archives

You're welcome^^
Quote:You're welcome^^

Why would anyone thank you for posting the wrong information two posts and two months after the correct answer had already been posted?

-W.C. Fields