Bungee Cord Chair
Fellow Lurkers... I'm playing through Deus Ex for a second time (actually killing enemies this time) when I stumbled across this chair.

Two things came to mind... first was "bungee cord chairs rock". The second was "hey... I'm sitting in THAT EXACT CHAIR!" That led me to a followup of, "dammit... but some of the cords have broken over time."

Over the perhaps 10 years I've had this chair, some of the plastic brackets that hold the bungee cords have gotten brittle and snapped, which has forced me to rearrange them in hopes of still being able to... you know... sit on it. I'm getting to the point where that's not going to be an option. I love the chair, and would love to get replacement cords... but I can't find them!

I'm not sure who makes the chair, as it was a gift years ago. There's no brand name on it anywhere. I was, however, able to grab the following pattents off a label on the underside of the seat:

They're registered to a Yun-Chien Hsaio, who is apparently the inventor of said chair. I'm having a heck of a time finding anywhere online that sells replacement parts, though.

Any help? My google-fu is failing me on this one.
See you in Town,
-Z
Maybe http://www.justduckyproducts.com/product...ct-bungee/
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

The problem is the ends of the cords:

[Image: bungeechairends.th.jpg]

The bungee cords themselves aren't snapping. The plastic ends are getting brittle after a decade of sitting on the thing. They're a unit, though, and as you can see in the picture I've taken to having just every other one on the back of the chair so I can replace those on the seat. You'd think there'd be SOMEWHERE you can buy replacements...
See you in Town,
-Z
How much work do you want to spend on it?

Seems easy enough to buy shock cord at REI and make a piece of wood with holes in it to thread the shock cord through. The reason for the plastic is likely to keep the cord from fraying. Wood would fray the cord, but the cord is cheap enough in bulk from REI that you could re-thread it every so often and you'd at least be able to keep the chair you like. Soft enough wood shouldn't do too much fraying either. It would take some time though. There look to be a lot of holes to line up for screwing into the frame, easy to make a mistake. You'd also need longer screws to accomodate the extra thickness of wood.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Buy a new one and cannibalize that one for a parts stash to extend the life of the new one?

without arms

with arms

Or perhaps The Container Store can point you to the manufacturer?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Yeah, Lochnar, that's my backup plan if I can't find the replacement cords. I've tried a couple retailers with no luck as far as parts go.
See you in Town,
-Z
(09-05-2011, 05:15 PM)Zarathustra Wrote: You'd think there'd be SOMEWHERE you can buy replacements...
I know what I'd do...

Since I craft bronze sculptures, it is a simple thing to mold one in a plaster mold (surrounded by latex caulk), then craft multiples in wax and attach some to a vent on my next sculpture. The mold is reusable until it breaks, but they only take about an hour to make for something small.

There is some investment in the machine shop to clean and polish them up.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Did you purchase bungee chair, Actually I purchased this chair for my sons' room which means it will not get used often as he is not in his room much more but it looks superb! The chair is very comfortable and the bungee material looks very strong and thick. The frame seems maybe plastic? but I think it will last a while due to the infrequent use. My kids are 12 and 15 and got well in the chair. I do too!
I like this guy. New to the Lounge and wastes no time bumping a 6 year old thread!
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(10-06-2017, 01:56 PM)Bolty Wrote: I like this guy. New to the Lounge and wastes no time bumping a 6 year old thread!

But...

BUNGEE CHAIRS!!!

(10-06-2017, 01:56 PM)Bolty Wrote: I like this guy. New to the Lounge and wastes no time bumping a 6 year old thread!

Sticky this plox. I need to know more about bungee chairs with lumber support.
I agree. This is the solution to all problems.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I need a bungee chair like this to drive away the nightmares.

[Image: d67b5cd1922f7be22b62ee08d3d0b5b6.jpg]

I like chairs.
(09-05-2011, 02:10 AM)Zarathustra Wrote: Fellow Lurkers... I'm playing through Deus Ex for a second time (actually killing enemies this time) when I stumbled across this chair.

Two things came to mind... first was "bungee cord chairs rock". The second was "hey... I'm sitting in THAT EXACT CHAIR!" That led me to a followup of, "dammit... but some of the cords have broken over time."

Over the perhaps 10 years I've had this amardeep office chair, some of the plastic brackets that hold the bungee cords have gotten brittle and snapped, which has forced me to rearrange them in hopes of still being able to... you know... sit on it. I'm getting to the point where that's not going to be an option. I love the chair, and would love to get replacement cords... but I can't find them!

I'm not sure who makes the chair, as it was a gift years ago. There's no brand name on it anywhere. I was, however, able to grab the following pattents off a label on the underside of the seat:

They're registered to a Yun-Chien Hsaio, who is apparently the inventor of said chair. I'm having a heck of a time finding anywhere online that sells replacement parts, though.

Any help? My google-fu is failing me on this one.
Well i guess it cannot be helped