Path of Exile free to play in about six hours.
Path of Exile goes into Open Beta in just over six hours, at which point it will be completely free to play.

I'm hoping to see a few Lurkers playing it. It's the one game that most reminds me of Diablo 1... even more than D2 or D3.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
oh i will be...eventually lol
[Image: bldavis.png]
I got in on it quite some time ago and have been back into it every once in a while. I love the game play itself and the skill gem system. However, I'm really on the fence about the passive skill system. It allows for great flexibility but that also allows for totally destroying a toon early on, without realizing it until much later, and the last time I played much there wasn't any way to make anything more than minor fixes thus requiring a new toon. I am not a fan at all of the economy. I would much rather have what they have now but all with an underlying base of a fixed currency.

I updated everything last night but, by the time it finished, I only had time to open the game for a couple minutes.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(01-23-2013, 06:07 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: I got in on it quite some time ago and have been back into it every once in a while. I love the game play itself and the skill gem system. However, I'm really on the fence about the passive skill system. It allows for great flexibility but that also allows for totally destroying a toon early on, without realizing it until much later, and the last time I played much there wasn't any way to make anything more than minor fixes thus requiring a new toon. I am not a fan at all of the economy. I would much rather have what they have now but all with an underlying base of a fixed currency.

I updated everything last night but, by the time it finished, I only had time to open the game for a couple minutes.

This!!! Until GGG puts full respecs in place, I feel equally perterbed at the situation; you may take a set whole branch of skills that looks great on paper, but is useless in the long run and without any way of changing that, then you've just wasted a tremendous amount of time finding that out only to be ridiculed by the kids with no jobs about how come you didn't already know that. Combine that with certain skills that will NEVER be used because of their placement on the skill tree and people being unfamiliar with what that skill does and not wanting to repeat their prior mistakes, and you have a truly terrible method of examining new skills for the casual player, which effectively kills a third of your business. IMO, its a terrible system!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(01-23-2013, 08:07 PM)Taem Wrote: This!!! Until GGG puts full respecs in place, I feel equally perterbed at the situation; you may take a set whole branch of skills that looks great on paper, but is useless in the long run and without any way of changing that, then you've just wasted a tremendous amount of time finding that out only to be ridiculed by the kids with no jobs about how come you didn't already know that. Combine that with certain skills that will NEVER be used because of their placement on the skill tree and people being unfamiliar with what that skill does and not wanting to repeat their prior mistakes, and you have a truly terrible method of examining new skills for the casual player, which effectively kills a third of your business. IMO, its a terrible system!

I'm not familiar with PoE beyond seeing it played once or twice, but what you just said sounds a lot like stuff I heard about D2 builds, you place that point, you're done. Which is good and bad, as has been discussed in several threads on here, some in regards to D2, some sparked from D3.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I am not a fan at all of the economy. I would much rather have what they have now but all with an underlying base of a fixed currency.

The game is designed around flexibility. So what is valuable to one player may be worthless to another. In other words nothing has a fixed value. Now that the trade system is mostly in place (The forum trade mechanism still has to be implemented), having set values for items is even less necessary.

Quote: However, I'm really on the fence about the passive skill system. It allows for great flexibility but that also allows for totally destroying a toon early on, without realizing it until much later, and the last time I played much there wasn't any way to make anything more than minor fixes thus requiring a new toon.

Quote:you may take a set whole branch of skills that looks great on paper, but is useless in the long run and without any way of changing that, then you've just wasted a tremendous amount of time finding that out only to be ridiculed by the kids with no jobs about how come you didn't already know that.

It's one of the things I like about the game. Just like the character you are playing, you are venturing into a new, unknown world that is harsh and unforgiving.

Besides, by the time you get to clvl 40, you know if you're build isn't going to cut it. I don't have a lot of playing time and even I can get a character to level 40 in a few weeks. In some of the races, people get that far in a day. And if you don't want to risk experimenting, there will always be a few cookie-cutter build you can look up on the forums.

-W.C. Fields
(01-23-2013, 02:48 PM)LennyLen Wrote: Path of Exile goes into Open Beta in just over six hours, at which point it will be completely free to play.

I'm hoping to see a few Lurkers playing it. It's the one game that most reminds me of Diablo 1... even more than D2 or D3.

I have very little time for playing games but this one I started playing maybe a year ago. After summer I have however not played anymore.

It is good for people like me who will never play enough to for example pay monthly fees like in wow, and I liked to play the game. I am however not much further than level 25 I think, and everytime I log in (after weeks) there is a skill tree reset so I have to place them all over again.

So is it now possible to make real money by selling stuff to other people in this game? Or am I mistaking this for another game?
Quote:So is it now possible to make real money by selling stuff to other people in this game?

There is no RMAH, and GGG have stated that there never will be.

There is nothing stopping two individuals from making an agreement outside of the game though, and the official stance on this is that policing such activity would be impossible and that GGG in no way support it. If you agree to pay someone for an item you do so at your own risk and if they take your money and don't give you the item, it's your own fault.

-W.C. Fields
Have a level 30 Hardcore Marauder that just got into Act 3, I'm absolutely loving the game. Once I get further along I'll be sure to post some thoughts.

Feel free to add the character "MonTy" to your buddy list :) Hope to see you in game.
i have a few characters i am working on, my favorite being my lvl 10 maurader Catagon (yes it was named after my druid)
Quote:Feel free to add the character "MonTy" to your buddy list Smile Hope to see you in game.

I sent you a friend invite. I only have one low level (currently clvl 15) witch right now, as I don't have much time for playing. I'm avoiding HC right now, as the latency I have made it sometimes difficult even before the extra load OB put on the servers. Wen that dies down in a week or two I'll probably start playing my HC characters.

If anyone wants to add me in-game, I'm LennyLen there as well.

-W.C. Fields
Quote:The servers are currently full while we work on adding capacity. There are 9269 people ahead of you in the queue.

Exclamation Big Grin Big Grin
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(01-28-2013, 08:15 PM)LochnarITB Wrote:
Quote:The servers are currently full while we work on adding capacity. There are 9269 people ahead of you in the queue.

Exclamation Big Grin Big Grin
2 of those is me and my youngest. He's grown fond of it. I have my usual handle, his has weird numbers in it that I can never remember.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Can someone tell me, how system intensive is this? I would like to give it a whirl, but I'm unsure if I should bother downloading it. My computer would lag in 25 man raiding due to all the spell effects. In 10m raiding I would be at about 25 FPS, cruising around in the world, and in 5 mans, I would be closer to 40-50fps.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(01-29-2013, 02:01 PM)shoju Wrote: Can someone tell me, how system intensive is this? I would like to give it a whirl, but I'm unsure if I should bother downloading it. My computer would lag in 25 man raiding due to all the spell effects. In 10m raiding I would be at about 25 FPS, cruising around in the world, and in 5 mans, I would be closer to 40-50fps.

I'm playing on an ASUS laptop - i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 4 GB, ATI Radeon HD 5870 - and I'm playing with everything set high. If nothing else, you can turn the graphics down. I know there were problems with driving the graphics really hard but I think they got past it. My system runs cooler playing this than D3.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
i lagged like no other in D3 beta, i was able to do torchlight at about 30 fps, and barely lag at all in PoE its only when i am with a ton of people in one of the towns that i lag at all

just remember beta is beta
I'm currently playing, and I love it so far. I'm a level 32 Templar on default mode. My only gripe with the game so far is the currency or trading system. I wish it were easier or better organized.
So the question becomes, is this going to be one of those games always in beta? Or is it going to come out of beta with a hefty price tag on it?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(01-30-2013, 04:35 PM)shoju Wrote: So the question becomes, is this going to be one of those games always in beta? Or is it going to come out of beta with a hefty price tag on it?

Neither?

free to play
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Interesting.

So now I guess I need to figure out if I can play it on my laptop, if I like the controls, and if I can figure out "What" to play.

Does anyone know what a "Shadow" is like? (Give me WoW terms here) The others are fairly easy.

Marauder - Warrior
Witch - Mage
Templar - Paladin
Ranger - Hunter (sans pet?)
Duelist - Rogue
Shadow - WTF?

There is no description on the site except that it uses Dex and int.