Path of Exile - Patch 0.11.6
The "trap patch" has been released for Path of Exile. 0.11.6 is planned to be the last major update before the game hits release version. This patch focuses on new trap based skills and uniques, so now would be the perfect time to try a trap based character.

Lightning Trap is a new skill that Shadows, Rangers, and Witches can receive once killing Brutus. As soon as your trap is triggered, it shoots out a ring of lightning damage projectiles. It's been reported to be very powerful once you link it with support gems, such as the new skill, Multiple Traps. Multiple Traps allows you to throw and set more of your trap skills. You can check out a video of Lightning Trap + Multiple Traps here. The Witch, Ranger, and Shadow can obtain the skill gem from Hailrake on Cruel difficulty.

There's also two other new skill gems introduced in this patch. Smoke Mine allows you to set a mine in place, and then teleport you back to its location once you detonate it. Certain skills such as Flicker Strike can leave you in grave danger after using it, so Smoke Mine would be a perfect way to escape that situation. Smoke Mine is available to the Shadow, Ranger and Duelist from Lost in Love on Normal Difficulty. The last new skill, Endurance Charge on Melee Stun, will be useful to those who don't want to be bothered with casting Enduring Cry, to obtain those ever important Endurance Charges. I know what you're thinking, "but I don't have enough links to afford another support gem", which unless you have a six links should be true. But if your main attack is Sweep, you'll be able to link Endurance Charge on Melee Stun to Leap Slam. Doing damage, getting you into combat, and gaining you Endurance Charges in one skill. Endurance Charge on Melee Stun is available to the Templar, Marauder and Duelist from Sever the Right Hand.

Deerstalker is the new unique boot that would be a perfect supplement to your trap build. It essentially allows for a five-link and turns any of your linked skill gems into traps. The other new Unique to boost traps is named Sunblast. It seems like something you'll surely want if you're focusing on traps. It has been confirmed that Traps trigger normally when wearing this Unique, as well as at the end of their duration.

The other two new Uniques seem a bit odd and require specialized builds. If you're able to stack Lightning Resistances, Lightning Coil will be a very big boost to your survivability against physical damage, which is a far more common source of damage than Lightning. Ming's Heart offers a significant boost to your Physical damage, but at the cost of reduced Life and ES. Others have suggested that it's a strong choice for a Low Life Ethereal Knives caster.

Will you be trying out any of these new skills before the big release patch version hits? Personally I'm not too interested in the play style. I've tried a trap based build in the past and it felt too slow, but I'd be interested in trying it if I ever find or trade for those Uniques.
Here's a question for all of you more knowledgeable about trap mechanics than I:

Can you link a Totem to your trap skills? And if so would your totem use the benefit of the Sunblast belt? It could be a lot of fun to daisy-chain totems into a mass of exploding traps.
(09-29-2013, 05:31 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Here's a question for all of you more knowledgeable about trap mechanics than I:

Can you link a Totem to your trap skills? And if so would your totem use the benefit of the Sunblast belt? It could be a lot of fun to daisy-chain totems into a mass of exploding traps.

I had to give it a try. Yes, you can link traps that cast totems that cast spells. Pretty nuts.