The Lurker Lounge Forums
Secret quest? cool! - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Secret quest? cool! (/thread-11419.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Secret quest? cool! - Ackpth - 05-10-2003

This secret quest somehow sounds like a rather clever scheme to rid the realms of duped SoJs... :ph34r:

Secret quest? cool! - Sir_Die_alot - 05-10-2003

I agree with Ackpth. That was my first thought when I saw the screenshot. :)

Secret quest? cool! - Az3ar - 05-10-2003

It is obvious that this quest is mainly made to rid the realms of duped SOJs, but it will do the exact opposite: instead of just selling their SOJs, players will dupe more instead, just to complete the quest, I believe this will only make matters worse :/

Secret quest? cool! - SwiftSlayer2 - 05-11-2003

Has anyone confirmed that this quest actually works?

Swiftslayer2

Secret quest? cool! - yangman - 05-11-2003

That means not only will players be able to use the Burizaado-Kyanon, they will also be able to wield the mighty Chicken Cannon!

Oh, wait, that was Dungeon Siege...

Secret quest? cool! - ShadowSeer - 05-11-2003

Good they finally thinking of away to get rid of them finally

Secret quest? cool! - Kharohz - 05-11-2003

Wow, im still surprised that no one believes in my theory. I DID see one person. (ONE PERSON) Wasn't even on this forums. And he was so ticked off by the matter that it was his first post ever on the battle.net forums.

Quote:Everyone seems to be completely missing the point. The secret of the SOJs is that something has been triggered that "sells" 9 SOJs to merchants, and the rings are now AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE....

I still find this more likely. The thing is, Stone of Jordon was just an example. It could be anything, it doesn't has to be a soj.

oh and as for a response to me in another post:

Quote:Kharohz:

Very interesting idea. Seeing as every new game isn't designed to communicate globally, it would be near impossible to implement this even for one character between several games - and it would take a lot of resources on the server to keep track of all the items sold/bought through every game. This is why having truely unique items (that only spawn one-per-realm) is also virtually non existant.

Yes of course, I do not consider this a quest you can activate. It is a world event thing, thus a entire realm thing. Blizzard activates it, and bnet proceeds to go on the "quest". But perhaps only certain people who activate their quest on their end can "play" the game.

Secret quest? cool! - Nicodemus Phaulkon - 05-11-2003

Quote: I've taken a barbarian to lvl 50, an Amazon to lvl 50 and currently have a Paladin at lvl 20 in LoD...
I didn't see many unique rings drop when I plated classic Diablo 2 either for that sake. Maybe I am just unlucky? Or maybe I don't pay enough attention to what drops? I don't know.

Elric had the right of it: You've barely played this game at all.

Speaking as a player with 27 active characters that combine to 1595 levels (that's an average of 59)... it would be my opinion that you need to actually put some time in.

Secret quest? cool! - Occhidiangela - 05-12-2003

The ones in the World Stone Chamber.

Quote:Sounds to me sort of like an easter egg hunt. "X <of some item> scattered in some pattern (sold to vendors?)"; then go find/collect the items for the 'prize'.

There was quite a bit of talk during and shortly after the LoD beta about how to determine rune words based on the layout of Baal's little gold piles. One Blizzard rep, perhaps it was Schlonglor, made the remark that 'it's something like that.'

Anyway, I never did extensive testing to try and figure out how those patterns corresponded with runes and words. :)

Secret quest? cool! - TaMeOlta - 05-12-2003

Don't be silly ! Theres no such thing as SoJ's !! ;)

Secret quest? cool! - the Langolier - 05-12-2003

Kharohz,May 11 2003, 03:49 AM Wrote:Yes of course, I do not consider this a quest you can activate.&nbsp; It is a world event thing, thus a entire realm thing.&nbsp; Blizzard activates it, and bnet proceeds to go on the "quest".&nbsp; But perhaps only certain people who activate their quest on their end can "play" the game.
I think I understand what you are saying. Instead of the normal quests that a character can do all by its itself, such as well, ANY quest, this quest will not be available in normal gameplay. It will only be able to be done when blizzard activates the quest via a server-side patch. Only then can characters complete it.

This would likely require a server-side patch to add this new quest. It wouldn't really be anything different, however, it would be simply like adding a new quest. It would not really be a global quest, because multiple games would not be sharing any information. The only thing global about it would be that it would become availible to all characters at the same time (and perhaps patched again so it could no longer be accessed at the same time). The game just is not designed to have a singular quest for all the realm players who can simultaneously advance the realm to the quest goal.

It is very interesting though. Imagine if the "siege on harrogoth" could not be completed by characters in a single game, but had to be completed by X players in X games killing X monsters. Players in a realm (who advanced thus far) would all be fighting in the bloody foothills and could not progress until the quest was complete, no matter how many times they have cleared it solo. Once the realm as a whole completed the quest, everyone could move onto the next quest/area of the game. This would truely be like hundreds of heros racing up Mt. Arreat to face the Lord of Destruction. But again, the game is not built this way. You will find this interface in games like everquest, ascheron's call, and the upcoming world of warcraft.

Secret quest? cool! - Mikedok - 05-12-2003

Two or three a day seems like a lot. I've played the diablo2 alot and haven't seen nearly that many unique rings. I only have one real MF character in LoD and he's only level 80, so that may have something to do with it.

My current character is level 61. He has found two unique rings during his entire life span. He has at least 35 MF on at all times, and some times more. Niether of these rings were a SoJ.

The only SoJ I ever found (besides gambling) was in classic diablo2. I found it while playing a level 84 MF whirlwind barb. Yes, he was a cookie cutter build. I think it would be hard indeed to find a SoJ without a cookie cutter magic find character. I'm sure people have found them without cookie cutters, but I bet it's rare.

For me at least, trying to find 9 SoJs will never happen. I really hope that that is not the quest. I consider myself an avid player. I have 4 accounts full of characters. The highest one level 84, and many over level 70. If you have to play more then this to get the quest done, I think it's a bad quest.

Secret quest? cool! - TheDragoon - 05-12-2003

Of course not. :) Feel free to sell a million Stones of Jordan when the patch is released, however, to try and get the quest. ;) I think the funniest thing would be if the quest required other items than Stones of Jordan and people just kept selling their SOJ's, hoping to get some new quest when they really needed to sell Biggin's Bonnet in addition to the Stones of Jordan.

Secret quest? cool! - Elric of Grans - 05-12-2003

Hail Mikedok,

I almost never have any %MF, but I used to play a LOT - and as I full clear, unlike most people, I have more chances of such drops: I've always been pendantic about missing out on something ;) I've made several hundred characters... each one would have found several unique Rings - some have found an awful number of them. Back in the day, I could gamble one in 20 minutes too ;)

Secret quest? cool! - Baajikiil - 05-12-2003

Quote:I think the funniest thing would be if the quest required other items than Stones of Jordan and people just kept selling their SOJ's, hoping to get some new quest when they really needed to sell Biggin's Bonnet in addition to the Stones of Jordan.

Tell you the truth, this seems like it would be a decent idea to me: Perhaps it is not SOJs in particular to complete the quest, but any uniques at all. Thus those frost burns found by our melee char, that swordgaurd found by our bowazon, or that baranars found by our sorc(non melee) could have a use.

Although it may be too easy to complete if it used any uniques, it would be nice to find a use for useless uniques. Actually now that I think about it, I'd prefer a crafting recipe(a decent one) that used any random unique as one of its ingredients.

Secret quest? cool! - NiteFox - 05-13-2003

I find it strange that, providing this message is correctly generated, that they programmed the correct plural into the game. After all, the correct item name is "The Stone of Jordan." An incorrectly programmed plural would possibly return "9 The Stone of Jordans Sold to Merchants."

So here's a thought: The range of different items you have to sell is reduced, as programming the plurals for each and every item would be too great an arduous task. Is the plural of Arkaine's Valor Arkaine's Valors, or is it like the plural of sheep is sheep (Given that I don't believe Valor pluralizes). Is it Razorswitchs or Razoreswitches? Veil of Steel or Veil of Steels? We are probably looking at "Sell X amount of Stones of Jordan to trigger quest" or similar with a very small range of items, and probably the items made famous by duping and cheating, after all - Name one person who ever got rich duping Ichorstrings.

1.10 has been a farce right from the beginning. It will go down in history as the first ever patch to feature at E3, and with the constant delies, promised and missed deadlines, innacurate information, misproved speculation, and the recent leak I'm starting to think that all this talk of synergistic skills and secret quest is nothing more than gross overcompensation on Blizzard's part. I would rather play the patch with the bug fixes it is supposed to contain and with the already pretty natty idea of dedicated ladder play than watch people falling over themselves in excitement of a new quest that has seemingly just been tacked on as an afterthought.

Secret quest? cool! - Elric of Grans - 05-13-2003

Hail NiteFox,

Look at the game more closely: they are not completley stupid when it comes to plurals. I have ElricOfGrans' Windforce after all - I was expecting ElricOfGrans's ;)

"Is the plural of Arkaine's Valor Arkaine's Valors, or is it like the plural of sheep is sheep (Given that I don't believe Valor pluralizes). Is it Razorswitchs or Razoreswitches? Veil of Steel or Veil of Steels?"

Arkane's Valours (it's a proper noun; not merely valour)
Sheep
Razorswitches
Veils of Steel

If it were only the one item, it doesn't take a genius to code it so it uses the correct plural. If <= 1, then Stone of Jordan; else Stones of Jordan. Bleh!

Secret quest? cool! - Kasreyn - 05-13-2003

No offense but please try to learn to use some sort of punctuation because it's really hard to read a run-on sentence that just goes on and on without any commas or periods do you know what I mean so please if you read this try to do better because Wiccan your posts kind of make my eyes hurt I hope you don't take this the wrong way.

Point made? =P

-Kasreyn

Secret quest? cool! - Obi2Kenobi - 05-14-2003

*nitpick*
Actually, it should be ElricofGrans's, unless you were Elric of more than one Gran. However, there is no way to distinguish, I think they made a good decision. :) (At least so I was taught)
*on topic*
Well, to those of you who say that it will only cause more duping, isn't 1.10 supposed to be "hack free" (and wasn't B.net supposed to be also. :D )

Secret quest? cool! - Elric of Grans - 05-14-2003

Hail Obi1.10Kenobi,

Unless it's a difference in dialect, that is actually quite correct: when the name end in -s, you can pluralise it with -s'; more than one ElricOfGrans would be ElricOfGranses, and the plural of that is ElricOfGranses'. Pfft!