The Lurker Lounge Forums
Foods that you abhor - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Foods that you abhor (/thread-10545.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Foods that you abhor - pakman - 08-01-2003

There are just some foods that I cannot stand, bananas, for example. I will eat one once in a while after I work out for the Potassium. Another one, mayonaise. Yuck. I cannot stand lobster, I can't tell you why, I just do. I don't see what the big deal about lobster is. Tofu. A white, gelatinous, mess of soy bean curds mashed together in a brick form.

What are the foodstuffs you simply cannot stand?

Foods that you abhor - Rhydderch Hael - 08-01-2003

Piña coloda. Don't like pineapple. Don't like coconut. Sure as heck wouldn't like anything that combines the two.

Lobster's okay. I just shy away from crab. They're just big spiders.

Foods that you abhor - BigGrim - 08-01-2003

In terms of cuisine, lobster and crab are both excellent garnishes and main ingredients to many dishes, the meat easily soaks up the flavor of whatever they're mixed and blends with it. It's versatile.

Tofu is protein, excellent for vegetarians, and likewise soaks up flavor depending on how it is prepared. I know several Asian dishes that take full advantage of tofu's properties to make a healthy, tasty meal.

I love bananas and pineapples!

But...this thread is about the food items we abhor, so here I go...

Bitter melon. Sure, it's good for you, but they don't call it bitter melon for nothing!

Roe, Caviar, any kind of Fish Egg. I normally love seafood, but fish eggs are a no-no, particularly in sushi form. When they're supplementary, like the tiniest of fish eggs atop a slice of sashimi, then they're all right, but as the main dish? I'll pass.

Hunks of beef fat. You know, the kinds that are part of the steak, that solid strip of animal fat that comes with it? I see my brother and my father eat this all the time, and I understand that there's flavor to it...but I don't like the texture and I swear I can feel my heart skip a beat when I eat it. It's not even good for you!

I'm sure there's more, but those are the things that come to mind.

-Grim-

Foods that you abhor - --Pete - 08-01-2003

Hi,

But only if it *smells* like chicken. Chicken noodle soup, almond chicken, most other oriental style chicken, McNuggets, etc. that don't smell like chicken I'm fine with.

Other than that, there's some lutefisk that is too strong for me, ditto some kimchee. And some of the spiced dishes from Malaysia are a bit too powerful for more than a bite or two.

But chicken smelling chicken is the only thing I don't eat :)

--Pete

Foods that you abhor - Nicodemus Phaulkon - 08-01-2003

I'm all for fish, especially sushi... but I'll pass on the crustaceans, thanks. Bottom-feeders are not the first thing I think of when "delicacy" is mentioned. And I've TRIED! OH, how I've tried. My sister-in-law and her husband run a smoking business, and every summer they give us access to a wonderful variety of seafood that we boil up over an open fire-pit at my in-law's acreage. They're all huge Lobster and Crab fans; I opt for the beef tenderloin on the BBQ, thankyousoverymuch.

"The bravest man in the world is the one that first stood along a shoreline and upon spying a lobster crawling through the muck declared: "I'm going to eat that"."
- John Corbett as Chris Stevens on Northern Exposure

Foods that you abhor - Medicine Man - 08-01-2003

I guess that I'm a bit of a trash compactor, but I can't think of any kind of food that I really abhor. Raw squid? Fish heads? Haggis? Naturally there are some foods I like more than others, but nothing I really despise. I'm not all that fond of dishes that are extremely spicy, but other than that I like most food.

I guess I'll have to wait for a "What kind of food do you adore?" thread to pop up before I can say anything interesting. Mmm... pasta...

Foods that you abhor - Chaerophon - 08-01-2003

That's a strange one, Pete! :blink:

Foods that you abhor - --Pete - 08-01-2003

Hi,

Not that strange. When I was about 3 or 4, I was playing in a sandbox in a public park. I found some chicken parts that someone had buried in the sand. I ate them with the expected results. Ever since then, the smell of chicken makes me sick. Simple enough.

--Pete

Pete, that statement almost made it onto my signature space. I've been looking for one. :D

-Grim-

Foods that you abhor - NiteFox - 08-01-2003

Ugh. Don't talk to me about bananas. I can't stand the smell of them, and I don't even like the touch of the skin. Whenever I am asked to dispose of a peel, I do so by holding it very tentitively between thumb and forefinger before tossing it away as violently as possible. Bananas are the only foodstuff that makes me feel sick by just contemplating them. They make me squemish, and that is pretty hard to do...

Hell, as a kid I used to take a mallet and break apart slabs of frozen lamb's hearts for my father's frozen food store, and the thing about even the best wholesale meats is that you sometimes, rarely, find something that shouldn't be there. Like a frozen lamb's eye (Uh, at least I hope it was a lamb's eye) which provided a few minute's entertainment rather than the disgust most folk would associate with such a discovery.

Animal remains do not bother me. Bananas do. Strange world, huh?

Foods that you abhor - Selby - 08-01-2003

Beans. And anything with them in it. My reasons for not liking them is similar to Pete's. Had chilli with the big red kidney beans, got REAL sick that night and just saw the beans floating and now I can't even stand the smell of them... I had a similar situation with tuna and ever since the sight and smell of it makes me sick.

Selby

Foods that you abhor - Feryar - 08-01-2003

Fish eggs is the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. The way it's really 100000 small little eggs that roll around in your mouth is down right disgusting. I'd rather eat ants.

In western Norway they often eat "smalahovud" during christmas. Basically that's a sheeps head that has been cooked. They eat eyes, tongue, ears, everything! I had to leave the table when my parents served it for christmas dinner. Seeing someone dig out a sheeps eye and eating it was too much for me. Man, just the sound of it. Like pulling your feet out of a bog. Disgusting. Yuck!

Oh and snails.

Foods that you abhor - Kryn - 08-01-2003

I've always hated fish. The smell alone sickens me. I remember one time, I was eating at a restaurant with my mom. She had ordered fish and I had chicken. I've told her numerous times how much I dislike fish. Despite this, she decided to switch the piece of chicken on my fork with fish while I was in the restroom, just to see if I'd like it. I was not happy.

I used to each peas fresh from the garden, though I'm not sure if I would now. But cooked peas... blech! If I must, I'll slowly single out each pea and quarantine it to the side of my plate, so as not to eat one.

Steamed okra with that disgusting goo filling. 'Nuff said.

I really don't know with Cheetos. One time, I had one of those little fun sized bags, and after eating them, I felt like throwing up. I haven't eaten any since.

Spinach on the other hand... mmmmmmmm!

Foods that you abhor - Bob - 08-01-2003

bananas:
that makes 3 of us then

nuts:
Make my throat go all weird, everyone i know insists that it's not some form of allergy, none of them have my throat and eat nuts at the same time

melted cheese:
well, when it's only slightly melted, so it's soft, but still retains its shape

Uncooked eggs:
i.e. when the yolk is still runny

any bolognaise you ever eat out

pepsi

hot pineapple, especially on Gammon

my dad's attempt at barbecue'd food (I'm never sure if he's given me a sausage or a piece of charcoal)

I'll claim to eat most anything, and then i come up with this list...

kryn, I like spinach too, provided it's raw.

-Bob

Foods that you abhor - Sir_Die_alot - 08-01-2003

Wow strange I'm replying just after Kryn who I totally agree with. I hate fish, both fresh and salt water. I hate cooked peas, they taste like mushy balls of grass to me. I am not a big spinach fan either. Can't complain about okra though I have never tried it. :)

The odd thing about fish, I am the grandson of a comercial fisherman. When I eat at my grandfathers house I lose weight, and when I do eat I empty out the pepper shaker. Can't taste the meat that way. :P :D

An odd thing that I do love is artichokes. A lot of people don't even know what those are. They are the flower of a spiney plant that I have actually seen the wild version grow now and then where I live, and stepped on barefoot. OUCH! Mmmmmmmmm artichokes. :P :P

Artichoke rules! One way that many people may be familiar with artichoke is through gourmet pizzerias. Artichokes and fresh cut tomatoes are great toppings, particularly for vegetarians.

Creamed spinach like they have in Cuban restaurants is great for me. I also love spinach when it's part of a quiche.

I find it interesting to see the combinations of food that everyone abhors, as much as I find it interesting to see what people will eat.

-Grim-

Foods that you abhor - WarBlade - 08-02-2003

I have a food chemical intolerance that rears it's ugly head most often with mushrooms.

If I eat only tiny piece, of the kind you'd expect to find on a pizza, I'll be waking up around 6 hours later to crawl to the bathroom and puke. Everything. One tiny piece like that will cause an entire dinner to just stop at my stomach with only one escape option. :(

Some years ago I had the misfortune to move through a kitchen where someone just happened to be microwaving a plate of mushrooms. I had no idea what the smell was at the time, but I found out pretty quick what an asthma attack must be like. Having your lungs simply stop working for no reason is terrifying!

Other things I have to be careful about are things soy products and some foods with eggs in them (I can eat eggs alone in most cases, but some preparations of them within other foods results in a muted version of my mushroom intolerance).

Dislikes:
- Some vegetables
- Soup. (I'll digest food internally thankyou)
- Avacados. Dad can't stand them either and we have a free supply. <_<
- Meat pies. New Zealand, Australia and Britain have this wonderous concoction that would be considered pig food where I'm from and amazingly people suck that stuff down like many others would, a hotdog. :blink: You can buy them everywhere in NZ! :blink:

Foods that you abhor - Roland - 08-02-2003

Lobster. Sqaush. Most any seafood (namely fish), minus steamed clams and shrimp (I can eat over a pound of shrimp in one sitting, no sweat; I LOVE the stuff).

That's about all I know of, although I'm sure there's tons that I don't yet know of. ;)

Foods that you abhor - Zarathustra - 08-02-2003

Mayonaisse disgusts me... the thought of it. And I like a few things with mayo INSIDE of them, but if someone's just slapping it on a sandwich and saying "here!"... ugh.

Foods that you abhor - BigGrim - 08-02-2003

A mayonaise sandwich? Eww. What genius thought of that? Heh.

It reminds me of Undercover Brother. Give me my hot sauce, please!

-Grim-