The Lurker Lounge Forums
Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Harry Potter as the Antichrist? (/thread-11015.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Chaerophon - 06-21-2003

Just thought that this quaint little article might be good for a laugh or two. No analysis, needed, this guy is a crackpot - if you need proof, look at the rest of his "work". The irony is that he doesn't know just how right many consider him to be... :D Anyways, I just found the whole analysis to be hilarious.

http://www.pawcreek.org/Harry%20Potter.htm

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - WarBlade - 06-21-2003

At first I thought i was all a big joke, but after a bit I think the guy is actually being serious! :blink: ROFL! :lol:

Ah, the joys of the Internet. You have to love those "exposing the evil" websites. ;) Probably one of the more famous was the evil Bert phenomenon that somehow proved to be an unprecedented success. Interviews with Ernie, the psychological breakdown of Elmo and the mysterious disappearance of Mr. Hooper along with reports of how one of Bert's predecessors masterminded Hitler's rise to power. :blink:

A couple more . . .
Papa Smurf is a communist Exposing a 'commie bastard' apparently.
I hate Clowns Anti-clown merchanising scheme.

:huh:

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Chaerophon - 06-21-2003

I had to laugh at the "Ihateclowns.com" e-mail addresses :) I sent the link off to a couple of my friends and I'm sure that they'll be sporting new e-mail addresses come sundown. I've never had such a phobia, but it's amazing: clowns really do scare people, even fully grown "tough guy" hockey players :D

BTW, the guy is dead series. He's a church pastor and in another article he analyzes the conditions of Saddam Hussein's dictatorship as evidence that he is the heir to Nebuchadnezzar... :o

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Nicodemus Phaulkon - 06-22-2003

That's the most profound cache of driveling, snot-glued, hair-brained posturing of so-called "analytical thought" I've had the misfortune to read in a very long time. His ability to bend facts 180 degrees to accommodate a single shaky argument is second only to his ability to contradict himself within the space of three sentences of text.

A shining beacon of the Church's unfortunate legacy of not allowing people to think for themselves.

Quote:“Good stories capture the heart, mind, and imagination are an important way to transmit values.”  There is no such thing as a book, movie, etc. that does not transmit values, i.e. someone’s idea of what is acceptable or unacceptable.  Anyone that tells you that it is okay to read sorcery or witchcraft material just for fun is playing with your mind.  Do not be someone’s fool.

Alas, Joe... that would include your own pretentious publications; move your foot next time if you don't want to shoot it.

Quote:Almost everybody certainly has an opinion about the Harry Potter books.  It is almost impossible not to either love or hate the books.  If you love magic, the occult, or witches, you will be jumping with glee.

Or, perhaps I just enjoy an imaginative, well-written story. Could it be that simple?

Quote:If you do not believe witchcraft is a name to be played with, then you cannot be anything but concerned.  Remember, if you do not believe in playing the devil’s games, this series of books has a name for you and it isn’t meant to be complimentary.  You are called a “muggle” and these books paint you as a loser or a know-nothing nobody.  That’s talking about us, the Bible-believing Christians.

Well, no. Actually, it's referring to those that simply don't use or believe in magic. While the term can be derogatory ("worst sort of muggles imaginable"), that's usually reserved for the bigots and racists that are portrayed. Harry and Co. are fundamentally opposed to these. I find it interesting that a Christian Fundamentalist would find confronting and defeating racism and bigotry as evil. Isn't that a Christian thing to do?

Oh, wait. I forgot. YOU'RE not making money off these books yet, are you Joe? Forgive me my trespass. <_<

Quote:The Harry Potter books are just another means of blinding millions to the truth.&nbsp; When people love imagination, superstition, paranormal intrigue, witchcraft, and sorcery better than they love truth, the Creator will allow them to be filled with their own desires.&nbsp; When the cup of sin is full, the King will say, “It is enough.”&nbsp; My heart tells me the cup is at the brim.&nbsp; The King will soon have the final word and righteousness will win the day.

Yup. And when Jesus comes down and sees what "glories" your church and self-serving pontifications have accomplished, I hope he kicks your ass across the sky.

Have a nice day, Joe. I have a book to read to my daughter.

*P.S. Sorry for the pseudo-analysis, Chaer. I just couldn't resist. I tend to invite Jehovah's Witnesses into my home in order to "corrupt" them as well. Mind you, the fact that I insist that the Watchtower makes for good T.P. doesn't endear me to them overmuch*

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Bun-Bun - 06-22-2003

Chaerophon,Jun 21 2003, 11:42 PM Wrote:I've never had such a phobia, but it's amazing: clowns really do scare people, even fully grown "tough guy" hockey players :D
Heh. I'm involved with a local haunted house. This year, the theme is a carnival gone bad. Scary clowns will abound.

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Bun-Bun - 06-22-2003

Nicodemus Phaulkon,Jun 22 2003, 12:35 AM Wrote:*P.S.&nbsp; Sorry for the pseudo-analysis, Chaer.&nbsp; I just couldn't resist.&nbsp; I tend to invite Jehovah's Witnesses into my home in order to "corrupt" them as well.&nbsp; Mind you, the fact that I insist that the Watchtower makes for good T.P. doesn't endear me to them overmuch*
I have been known to invite Mormons over to try to bend the rigid control a bit. JW's are a bit too far on the high-control scale for me to be optimistic about having any impact. Have you read Steve Hassan's books on cult control?

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Chaerophon - 06-22-2003

Don't be sorry, it's a lovely pseudo-analysis! :) I just didn't want anyone to think that I expected any sort of real response to that... thing. I've had a lot of exposure to the "bible as fact" crowd in my area of the country. (I live in Abbotsford, a veritable hotbed for 'literalists'... You wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff that I've heard from seemingly sane people about 'demons' visiting their bedrooms at night and Satan's minions accosting them overseas) Nonetheless, it took me two attempts before I could get all of the way through it and once I finished I wasn't sure if I should laugh or put my head through the monitor. Anyways, I thought that my girlfriend's parents were bad, and their worst offense was to not allow her to play with Ouija boards and Tarot cards when she was little. They certainly pale in comparison to this guy. Judging by the tone of some of his other excerpts, it seems that there is no shortage in supply of those who gobble up his propaganda, either. I suppose that it makes for an exciting alternative to computer games - what with all of these demons, imps, and fetishes that surround us on Earth, the resurgence of Babylon, etc. I wonder what need we have for silly games like Diablo?! Escapism be damned, we've got it all right here! It would certainly adds a little bit of spice to our otherwise "scientifically limited" corporeal daily lives to imagine that we live in a fairy tale. And they say that D&D puts you out of touch with reality :)

I only wish that he had an e-mail address, but then again, what's the use.

BTW, if anyone knows of the actual mechanical/psychological means by which Ouija is marginally successful, perhaps you could drop me a link or pass on the information - I'm VERY curious. :)

EDIT: Perhaps it's time for a name change... Up until now, I hadn't noticed that when shortened, "Chaerophon" becomes something that sounds frighteningly close to "Cher". No good!

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - LemmingofGlory - 06-22-2003

Pause enough to wonder why LotR and even Grimm's Fairy Tales weren't persecuted in the same manner. Or perhaps they were and I just wasn't around to see it. (Anti-D&D sentiment is the closest thing I know of anti-LotR.) Wouldn't LotR be just as offensive as Potter? Wouldn't Grimm's tales?

Actually, that article reminds me of a movie review website. The site ranked movies by acceptability after examining things such as swearing, violence, nudity, and religious "messages." As I recall, Harry Potter 2 was ranked less acceptable than Matrix: Reloaded. :p

[o: *LEMMING* :o]

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - BobThePumpkin - 06-22-2003

I could have sworn I replied to this. Is the forum eating posts again, or am I just getting senile in my old age? (ha)

Nope, it happened to me already once today as well. It's taking a long time loading as well, but I had assumed that the problem had more to do with my computer than anything else...

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - BobThePumpkin - 06-22-2003

Well, goody :P

Anyway, all I posted was that I didn't read past "Potions: Harry Potter takes drugs", and that that guy is a looney :lol:

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Vandiablo - 06-22-2003

Quote:Certainly no parent or school official in their right mind would want these ideas in the minds of their children.&nbsp; Drugs have always been a large part of witchcraft and sorcery.&nbsp; Often the drugs are used to induce altered states of consciousness and to enhance the person’s ability to communicate with the spirit world.

...and that's why no child of mine will attend any Catholic services!!! They snort down the red wine to summon The Spirit down from the sky, while using incantations and bells! Just so they can EAT HIM! And just look how close "communion" is to "communism"!! And they have "godmothers", and we all know that some of those are "fairies"!!! And they are so preoccupied with sex that they will tell you, boldly, that they consider genitalia to be sacred! There's even a sexual position named after their proponents! And they talk about the Second -- okay, that's going too far.

It is a little surprising that after 2000 years, many Christians still fear people who have some knowledge, and still vilify people who contradict their beliefs. There was some famous female mathematician (I'm horrible with names) in the Egypt area around 500 A.D. or so who was brutally murdered by gung-ho Christians. Evidently they feared that she was using math against them. Then look at how the Wiccans fared, and Galileo. Nowadays, see how many people are bashing Darwin more than a century after his death, thinking that he came up with the notion of evolution. Darwin gave the already-conceived evolution some solid footing by proposing what we call "natural selection", based on the many things he'd seen on his world tour. Darwin was a Christian and he didn't want to upset the apple cart-- he waited many years before publishing, and then did mainly at the urging of others. Yet to hear many anti-evolutionists these days, you'd think that CD relished cramming it down throats, and that people who don't disbelieve evolution "worship Darwin" (actual quote!), as if we're all in a cult of personality. If ol' Chuck said it, it must be so!

I'm not saying Christians are worse than any other religion in terms of persecuting (I covered 2000yrs in a couple sentences), it's just that I get annoyed when people use Christianity to smear others, in the defense of ignorance. Christianity is supposed to be more about love than about self-righteousness. At least, that's MHO.

-Van
ps. I Married into a Catholic family, so I know about those magic bells... and yes a priest told me that "those parts" were not to be used lightly, they're sacred ... he didn't go as far as "every sperm is sacred", but that was the direction.)

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Thecla - 06-22-2003

But, to be truthful, I think she's mostly famous for her femaleness rather than her mathematicalness, with her pagan-martyrdomness coming in second. Leaving aside Sonya Kovalevski and Emmy Noether, there just aren't too many female mathematicians in history.

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - DaveO - 06-22-2003

I will never understand why so many want to mercilessly bash Harry Potter. I just don't see how making millions of kids eager to read as bad, UNLESS you want to control their lives. But, if you try to do that by making things forbidden I can guarantee they will do it.

Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I honestly believe a good imagination helps in regard to problem solving. You can't solve problems by being narrow-minded. I won't go into any arguments or discussions about Harry Potter or Christianity because that whole article is a troll creation.

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Roland - 06-22-2003

Mankind is not ready to accept what he sees. What makes him think he is ready to accept what he cannot?

Quote:EDIT: Perhaps it's time for a name change... Up until now, I hadn't noticed that when shortened, "Chaerophon" becomes something that sounds frighteningly close to "Cher". No good!

Oh? I thought it would be pronounced "Care", akin to Chaeronea, an ancient Greek city. Considering that "Chaerophon" was a buddy-bud with Socrates, I think the pronunciation would fall in line?

Your call, your nick. :)

Quote:I've never had such a phobia, but it's amazing: clowns really do scare people, even fully grown "tough guy" hockey players

Doesn't Insane Clown Posse bank on this very phenomenon? Mind you, they're scary for more reasons than make up and squishy-noses. :blink:

Well, I had a prof who speaks and translates Classical Greek who constantly pronounced it "Shyrofon", and affirmed that that was the correct pronunciation for me, but I had always assumed that your pronunciation was the case until that point - it just sounds more Greek. Who knows, there are countless other examples (Thrasymachus/Thrasymakos) of stuff like that so I would imagine that we can just add it to the list; it makes sense to me, always has :)

Fact is, what with the Cher association, I definitely like your version better!

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - --Pete - 06-22-2003

Hi,

I had a prof who speaks and translates Classical Greek who constantly pronounced it "Shyrofon"

Doesn't matter. The pronunciation of languages prior to the recording of sound is mostly a matter of conjecture and of educated (or sometimes ignorant) guesses. And that applies as much for "living" languages as for "dead". The occasional "learned" paper I've scanned on the topic usually starts or ends with "contrary to the opinions of my esteemed colleagues (who are a bunch of horses asses), the pronunciation of blah blah . . ."

So pick any scheme you like and that is mostly consistent and you'll probably be not far off. And if anyone gives you a hard time, point out to them that any statement of how "boat" is pronounced in modern American English is wrong in most parts of the nation :)

--Pete

Harry Potter as the Antichrist? - Tuy - 06-22-2003

I thought it was funny how he described the potions as drugs. I bet he knows all about how drugs feel :lol: .

In response to Vandiablo's post, many people think all Christians don't believe in evolution or the Big Bang, where lots of Christians like Methodists interpret the "First seven days where God created the world" into millions of years, and believe that the God caused the Big Bang, and so on. I do agree that the Catholic beliefs can be screwy.