The Lurker Lounge Forums
Sup - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Sup (/thread-11216.html)

Pages: 1 2

Sup - Zaek, The Outcast - 06-02-2003

Hey yall...im new here i think im the newest member yay for me....well i hoep to known here without Spamming......i can be fun at times and i can be an ass at times....well i hope the site grows alot and more people join...BTW who is the Admin at these forums?

Sup - ShadowHM - 06-02-2003

Greetings Zeak

Welcome to the Lurker Lounge. :)

However, your post makes it very evident that you are new here.

You managed to break more than a few of the unwritten rules in a very short post. :rolleyes:

First, this is a place where we are insistent on good communication skills. This means good grammar, complete sentences, good spelling and no chat abbreviations. We get impressed by newcomers who take the time to read the FAQ, the Rules and peruse the board for a while before jumping right away.

The FAQ and Rules are buttons up towards the top right of your screen. Give yourself a break and take the time to read them. A useful additional source to check is Elric's Lurker Lounge Posting Etiquette, which is found here: http://www.geocities.com/elricofgrans/lounge.html
Elric is one of our administrators, so it is rather useful additional information. :)

The moderating team, also known as 'The Administrators', can be found in a link about three-quarters of the way down the main forum screen, under 'Griswold's Workshop'.

There are quite a lot of us Lurkers, and we all share a love of the games. I hope you find it a good place to rest between games and learn, just as the rest of us do. :)

Sup - Maximus - 06-02-2003

Hi everyone, I'm new here too! Great site,I just hope i haven't made a fool out of myself just yet :D

By the way, Is my Signature too long? i can remove the Pinguin thing if you want to...(But it's damn funny eh? :lol: )

Sup - keenduck - 06-02-2003

Quick question, Zaek.

I notice your sig quotes yourself as Zaek, but your sig image has "ZEAK."

Which is it? ;)

Sup - Yrrek - 06-02-2003

No, your sig is fine! I especially love the penguin thing! Where did you find it?

Sup - Baajikiil - 06-02-2003

Quote:By the way, Is my Signature too long? i can remove the Pinguin thing if you want to...(But it's damn funny eh?  )

Well it is pushing the limit.. I find it amusing though.

From LL rules (upper right hand corner):
Quote:Keep your pictures small.
For the sake of the dial-up modem users out there, please limit the maximum size of your pictures used in signatures and avatars to 30 kilobytes. Understandably, if you're posting a game screenshot it could be large; however, when you put large pictures in your signature you are continually slowing down everyone who loads threads with your posts in them.

Quote:Hi everyone, I'm new here too! Great site,I just hope i haven't made a fool out of myself just yet

Don't worry, there's still time :lol:

Sup - goldfish - 06-02-2003

I think that the penguin pic comes under the exception for above-average-funny sigs.

:)

Sup - DeeBye - 06-02-2003

I think 420k is too damned big for an avatar. WAYYY too damned big.

-DeeBye

Sup - Maximus - 06-03-2003

Okay it seems that many people here Have Dial-up connection so will remove the pinguin thing from my sig. And it's not that funny anymore i think...Oh and i used have Dial-up about Half years ago, too... <_<

Sup - Fragbait - 06-03-2003

-no text-

Sup - Occhidiangela - 06-03-2003

IIRC, the line in the poem goes like this:

"And when I get to Heaven
Saint Peter I will tell
One more Marine reporting, sir,
I've served my time in Hell."

What I don't remember off hand was whether or not the poem dealt with the Iwo Jima or Pelilieu campaigns.

Sup - Zaek, The Outcast - 06-03-2003

well.....it doesnt matter really cpas or not caps....still the same

Sup - kandrathe - 06-03-2003

"CPA's" are accountants, and "Caps" are things you put on your head. There is a difference.

ZEAK <> ZAEK

Zeak makes me think freak which may not be so good. Zaek reminds me of my friend Zak so a whole different set of emotions follow.

Sup - [wcip]Angel - 06-04-2003

Soup!

Welcome to the Lounge. Hopefully, you'll adapt.

Sup - ChromaticOnion - 06-04-2003

Maximus,Jun 2 2003, 05:22 PM Wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new here too! Great site,I just hope i haven't made a fool out of myself just yet :D

By the way, Is my Signature too long? i can remove the Pinguin thing if you want to...(But it's damn funny eh?&nbsp; :lol: )
LOL watch youself if you're new, go read my post in the maggot lair for an example of what NOT to do!

Sup - [wcip]Angel - 06-04-2003

I could've sworn "lol" was "an example of what NOT to do" ...

Sup - Occhidiangela - 06-04-2003

Oh, wait, I forgot, September became endless one day back in 1993 . . .

All CAPS means shouting per standard social norms on the internet.

No 'capitalization,' where appropriate per normal English usage, means that you are too lazy to present your thoughts and ideas clearly, in which case you ought to consider how rude it is to care so little for your audience, which is every one of us here at the Lounge.

This is not a chat room.

No capitalization may also imply that you wish you were as avante garde as e.e. cummings. You aren't, just in case you were curious.

Sup - Tal - 06-04-2003

Occhidiangela,Jun 3 2003, 11:37 AM Wrote:IIRC, the line in the poem goes like this:

"And when I get to Heaven
Saint Peter I will tell
One more Marine reporting, sir,

What I don't remember off hand was whether or not the poem dealt with the Iwo Jima or Pelilieu campaigns.
You recalled correctly on the poem Occhidiangela

And when he gets to Heaven
To St. Peter he will tell:
"One more Marine reporting, Sir --

Sgt. James A. Donahue
United States Marine Corps.
First Marine Division (H-2-1)

But I believe it was Guadalcanal - not entirely certain of it however. I know the wording is correct because my Lt had it on a plaque in his office.

Was on Guadalcanal, and I believe that what you just told me rings with my foggy memory.

Thanks. :) My incorrect pronoun I should have caught.

I found it here:

The Marines in Guadalcanal

Here is what was on that site.
Not sure how faithful it is to the original.

The Marine

(Author Unknown)

You can have your Army Khaki,
You can have your Navy blue,
But there's still another fighter
I will introduce to you.

The uniform is different,
The best you've ever seen
The Huns, they called him Devil Dog,
But the real name is Marine.

He is trained at Parris Island,
The land that God forgot,
Where the sand is fourteen inches deep,
And the sun is scorching hot.

He has set many a table,
Many a dish he had dried,
He is taught to make a bed
And a broom he sure can guide.

He has peeled a million onions,
Twice as many spuds,
And spends his spare time
Washing out his duds.

When he gets to heaven,
To Saint Peter he will tell,
"Another Marine reporting, Sir

I would venture to say that I marched to that poem, or a version of it, in chanted cadence a few dozen times in the summer of 1976 when our Plebe platoon commander, who went on to serve in The Corps, led us around to our various stations of the harassment package called Plebe Summer.