The Lurker Lounge Forums
Night Elves announced in WoW - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Night Elves announced in WoW (/thread-11471.html)

Pages: 1 2

Night Elves announced in WoW - Jonathon Spectre - 05-01-2003

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/

Good news for those who like to play purpleskins. God I want this game.

JS
Who will swear for a solid week if he doesn't get in the beta for this game

Night Elves announced in WoW - Occhidiangela - 05-01-2003

Feeling like a Grouper? :)

Night Elves announced in WoW - [wcip]Angel - 05-01-2003

I'm currently boycotting Blizzard products.

They almost had it!
They could have the best game ever, but they just didn't have the guts!
SC:Ghost. How unfathomably much better would this game had been if the main character was Sarah, and not Nova, and showed the events of Starcraft and Brood War through her perspective. I would have killed to play such a game.

but nooo..

Night Elves announced in WoW - Guest - 05-01-2003

I am really looking foward to this game.

I hope they beef up the PvP potential though. A MORPP where you dont have to watch your back at least PART of the time shouldnr be called "WarCraft".

The difference between mutually agreed on pvp(duels) and real pvp areas is huge when it comes to immersion.

Night Elves announced in WoW - Elric of Grans - 05-01-2003

Hail Angel,

Er... wasn't StarCraft: Ghost made by another company? I was under the impression that Blizzard basically gave it the stamp of approval, and that was all they did.

Night Elves announced in WoW - Roland - 05-01-2003

...they lost my sale.

PvP SERVERS? Fine. But if you don't give me a place to play in peace, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Night Elves announced in WoW - [wcip]Angel - 05-01-2003

Elric of Grans,May 1 2003, 10:18 PM Wrote:Hail Angel,

Er... wasn't StarCraft: Ghost made by another company? I was under the impression that Blizzard basically gave it the stamp of approval, and that was all they did.
I'm not sure, but if you say so, I trust you're right, but I still think their responsible for the game as long its production and release depends on their "OK".

--

Sorry for the outburst. I just have this awful feeling of ... disappointment really. They were -so- close to bringing me months of extacy, tears and joy, and they screwed up.

I spoke to a friend of mine about this, and he didn't share my view. His argument was that there's a solid chance that this could be a great game on its own even if the protagonist isn't our sweet, sweet Sarah. He's probably right. I downloaded the trailer from Blizzard's webpage, and it looked very good. You'd think that would ease my pain, but you have to realise; the better the game actually is, the better it *could* have been, had they used for the main role and shown SC/BW through her eyes. (metaphorically speaking. I wouldn't want this to be a first person shooter; a 3rd person thingie is just fine)

I also don't understand why they didn't do this. It's difficult for me to imagine that my idea is so horribly terrible. I mean, I love both SC and BW. They are definitely two of the best strategy games I've played, if not *the* best, and I get a tingly feeling just thinking about this prospect.

Well, we can't always get what we want.

Night Elves announced in WoW - Quark - 05-02-2003

Come on, already. You have judged that a story partially known is 100% better than a story unknown. You also claim to have boycotted said unknown. According to that, how do you know anything? What books have you read? Any of those books happen to be in the same universe with different people?

Or how about computer games? Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale: different stories, same universe. Since Baldur's Gate was first I guess Icewind Dale was a complete waste of time?

How about the Dune series of books?
The first 4 followed Paul Atriedes / Maud'Dib and his immediate family.
The next two (Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune) followed the Bene Gesserit. I guess those two books had to be worse, right? Wrong. Heretics and Chapterhouse were much better than Messiah, Children, and God Emperor.

Story quality is what the creator makes it, and Blizzard should not be limiting their options and leaving a story untold because the known path is "better".

Night Elves announced in WoW - keenduck - 05-02-2003

I don't believe Ghost was made by another company considering there's a page at blizzard about it. If you look around the site a little, I think it's clear Blizzard made Ghost.

Night Elves announced in WoW - FoxBat - 05-02-2003

Well, they make the money, and direct a few things. Probably even a few Blizz employees in the team. But mostly nihlistic (vampire: redemption) does the work.

Night Elves announced in WoW - Quark - 05-02-2003

It's the same thing as the unreleased Warcraft: Adventures. Well, almost. W: A had three teams, Blizzard supervisers, the people coding the game, and Russian artists. You could see how such a split would cause problems.

AFAIK, SC: Ghost only involves Nihilistic and their Blizzard supervisers.

Night Elves announced in WoW - Artega - 05-03-2003

SCG is being made by Nihilistic and Blizzard/Havas. Frankly, I think it's going to suck, even for a Blizzard game. I understand their return to their "console roots", but why release it on all three systems? Blizzard's games have only appeared on Nintendo systems up to now (Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, and Starcraft64 are a few), yet now they apparently decided to whore themselves off to Sony and Macrosuck. The fact that they've allowed their game to go to the Xbox is enough to make me not want to buy or even PLAY the game. Macrosuck has already taken Rareware from us, and now they get a piece of Blizzard. Skragg that. I'm not playing Ghost.

On top of that, Ghost is becoming cheesier and cheesier with every single annoucement and preview I read about it. "Psionic abilities"? WHY did they give Nova super speed and other cheesy console effects? Why can't I control a plain Ghost? I haven't even HEARD mention of Lockdown, either. Personally, I'd rather be a Zealot or a Dark Templar. I guess I'll have to wait for a MMO SC for that. And what is the obsession with sex symbol characters? Samus Aran is my favorite female heroine by far, and she's got pretty much no sex appeal in her Power Suit, yet all of the Metroid games have sold many thousands of copies, and the fanbase for Metroid is so devoted it makes God jealous. And all of that without using sex appeal. Really says something about Nintendo, eh?

As for the actual topic of this thread...

You can have your stinkin' purpleskins! :P

You can expect to see me going off on crusades, leading my Paladin brethern into glorious combat. Or something along those lines. I'd prefer to be a Tauren Paladin, but I seriously doubt that will be possible. I guess I'll have to settle for a plain old Human :)

Night Elves announced in WoW - SwissMercenary - 05-04-2003

Wow! I never knew untill this moment that Blizzard might actually have night elves in WOW!

That's an amazing announcement for them. Will they also confirm the rumours of humans being a playable race in WOW?

Re: Tauren Paladin

Unlikely. Blizzard prefers to lock their players in a rigid system.

Night Elves announced in WoW - Mithrandir - 05-04-2003

Quote:PvP SERVERS? Fine. But if you don't give me a place to play in peace, I'll take my business elsewhere.

PvE-centric MMOs are perhaps some of the most boring, dull, and pointless game types in existence. There's a reason that every single successful post-EQ MMO has had PvP (or RvR or GvG or whatever you want to call it) as at least one of its central themes. Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, and Planetside are all having good success. AC2, on the other hand, is utterly faltering and doing horrible financially... and is PvE-centric.

That's not just a coincidence.

Gamers got tired of the old whack-a-mole game after UO and EQ. Gamers must be new and intuitive, while working in some form of mass PvP combat, to survive in this incredibly harsh MMO market. If WoW is going to prosper, Blizz is going to have to include a form of PvP better than those lame dueling arenas.

Edit: Forget to mention... Dark Elves? GAH! Can everyone please just put down their R.A. Salvatore 'Super Fan' t-shirts and step away from their little flags that have 'Catti-Bri is hot! Sexxorz me!' written on them?

Drizzt is not real.

Can more companies please be braver and get away from the common l33t races? Dark Elves. Dwarves. And so on. This standard fantasy-fare, while the use of which is understandable, is truly getting annoying. Don't any of these developers have a single original brain cell?

If there's one thing I can applaud Wolfpack for, it's putting a ton of different, original, and interesting races into the game. Kobolds, Trolls, and Firbolg were fun in DAoC. Elves (Dark or otherwise), Dwarves, and Humans are boooorrring.

Even the Tolkien-wannabes at WotC can come up with the occasional intriguing new race or creature. These MMO developers can't?

Night Elves announced in WoW - Quark - 05-04-2003

I really wish you guys would stop complaining about a game before you play it. As for the multi-console thing, that's supposed to make it suck? That's the lamest excuse for whining I've heard yet. It's pure fanboyism. Not everybody wants to own the console you want. That may come as a shock to you. My problem with the X-Box is not that it's from Microsoft. It's that the thing's a shoddy PC that has the annoying habit of freezing.

And imagine the fact that I wouldn't want Nintendo's Gamecube. I could get three whole high-quality games I'm interested in out of it. Sorry, no thanks, not paying 300 bucks for 3 games.

I applaud game developers for choosing more than one platform. It's the exclusive titles that are the PITAs :angry:

Night Elves announced in WoW - Jonathon Spectre - 05-04-2003

I have had my XBox since the day it was launched. It has not frozen, hiccupped, or done anything but work perfectly. The failure rate for the XBox hovers around 1%, the exact same failure rate as every other console. Now if only every other console could claim to be as powerful as the XBox...

It makes me laugh to see people mocking the XBox and "macrosuck." When "macrosuck" walks away from E3 with Game of the Show for Halo 2 or Fable I'll be sure to mock them.

JS

Night Elves announced in WoW - Quark - 05-04-2003

I hate to break it to you, but I was talking from personal experience. My friend has an X-Box and it has frozen on me. A lot. Tony Hawk 2, NFL Fever, some NBA game, and I watched Hitman freeze on him.

And Halo 2 is exactly a reason to hate the X-Box. Halo was designed for the PC, then Microsoft bought the company and said "Make it for X-Box, or else."

Night Elves announced in WoW - Jonathon Spectre - 05-04-2003

>>I hate to break it to you, but I was talking from personal experience.<<

So was I.

>>My friend has an X-Box and it has frozen on me. A lot. Tony Hawk 2, NFL Fever, some NBA game, and I watched Hitman freeze on him.<<

The failure rate on the XBox hovers around 1%, the exact same as every other console. Your friend had roughly the same odds of buying a defective PS2 or GCN. Yes, it sucks to buy something that's broken. Does your friend's experience means the XBox sucks? No.

>>And Halo 2 is exactly a reason to hate the X-Box. Halo was designed for the PC, then Microsoft bought the company and said "Make it for X-Box, or else."<<

So, Microsoft did everything possible to make their new console a success. Yes, I can see why that is a reason to hate. Next thing you know Microsoft will be buying development houses (after threatening to kill their families if they don't sell, no doubt) and then having them make good games for the XBox (at the point of a gun, surely). The horror! No other company would ever do such a wicked thing. Attempting to make their new business venture succeed! The monsters!

You can have the last word. It's impossible to argue with zealots, but sometimes I try anyway.

JS

Night Elves announced in WoW - Guest - 05-04-2003

Hate/resent/boycott what ever - the concept is valid.

If you dont like a like a choice someone makes its reasonable to reject the results on principal.

Night Elves announced in WoW - Cybit - 05-04-2003

Note: Nihilistic is made up of mostly ex-Blizzard employees. That's why they were asked to do it, I believe some of them were main programmers on SC too.