The Lurker Lounge Forums
What are you listening to? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you listening to? (/thread-13007.html)

Pages: 1 2

What are you listening to? - samusaran253 - 03-25-2011

RE: What are you listening to? - LavCat - 03-25-2011

My computer fans and blowers.

As of a few moments ago, Beethoven's third symphony, performed by Wilhelm Furtwangler and the Wiener Philharmoniker. Just prior to that, Amazing Grace, played (badly) by me on the guitar.

RE: What are you listening to? - Jim - 03-25-2011

Hi,

This is my private station for Doo Wop 50's Rock & Roll @ Jango it's more like your own personal Jukebox than a radio station since you can choose what you like to listen too for free.

Jango

RE: What are you listening to? - shoju - 03-25-2011

First, Hey Jim! Good to see you on the boards again Smile

On to what I'm listening to. Well, there isn't much current that I listen to. Sadly, I keep waiting for that next band to "wow" me, but I've been listening to a lot of stuff from my teenage years.

Stone Temple Pilots, Weezer, Everclear, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, and then side projects / current stuff from the same cast of characters.

I also recently finished up my Johnny Cash collection picking up his last album that I didn't have that I wanted. American V.

RE: What are you listening to? - Frag - 03-25-2011

http://www.pandora.com/

RE: What are you listening to? - VinnieJones - 03-25-2011

Lately I've been listening to the pops channel on sirius/xm when I'm in the car. Also, I've been listening to Adele's a fair bit, and ummm... yeah that's about it I think.

RE: What are you listening to? - Jim - 03-25-2011

(03-25-2011, 02:29 AM)LavCat Wrote: As of a few moments ago, Beethoven's third symphony, performed by Wilhelm Furtwangler and the Wiener Philharmoniker. Just prior to that, Amazing Grace, played (badly) by me on the guitar.

Hi LavCat,

How about 50's Rock & Roll?

Yes that's me about 15 years ago. Tongue

RE: What are you listening to? - LavCat - 03-26-2011

(03-25-2011, 10:25 PM)Jim Wrote:
(03-25-2011, 02:29 AM)LavCat Wrote: As of a few moments ago, Beethoven's third symphony, performed by Wilhelm Furtwangler and the Wiener Philharmoniker. Just prior to that, Amazing Grace, played (badly) by me on the guitar.

Hi LavCat,

How about 50's Rock & Roll?

Yes that's me about 15 years ago. Tongue

The picture did not display for me. I will have to use my imagination. Unfortunately I could never quite get into rock. I did have a friend who was into Elvis, and she would bring his 45's over to my house to play them. That was when we were about six.

Interestingly I read last night that Elvis recorded Amazing Grace, but I've not heard his rendition.

RE: What are you listening to? - --Pete - 03-26-2011

Hi,

(03-25-2011, 09:14 PM)Frag Wrote: http://www.pandora.com/

Indeed. My "stations" (alphabetical and I'm still adding as I think of things I like):

60s Folk
60s Oldies
Americana
Beggars Opera
Billy Idol
Billy Joel
Bluegrass
Bob Dylan
Boney M
Celtic
Charlie Ryan
Cher
Classic Broadway Showtunes
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Da Vinci's Notebook
Dave Brubeck / Paul Desmond
Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
Early Jazz
Elvis Presley
Giacomo Puccini
Gilbert & Sullivan
Giuseppe Verdi
Golden Oldies
Heavy Metal
Il Divo
Jeff Buckley
Jim Croce
Joan Baez
Johnny Bond
K.D. Lang
Katie Todd
Louis Armstrong
Marianne Faithfull
Opera
Paul Simon
Protest Songs
Rasputin
Ray Charles
Richard Wagner
Robert Mitchum
Rockabilly
Roger Miller
Rufus Wainwright
Simon & Garfunkel
Symphonic
The Bangles
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
The Boston Pops Orchestra
The Canadian Tenors
The Kingsmen
The Kingston Trio
The Mamas & The Papas
The Moody Blues
The Shangri-Las
The Ventures
Timbuk 3
Tom Lehrer
Traditional Country
Traditional Folk
Utah Phillips
Warren Zevon
Whitney Houston
Willie Nelson
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

As one can see, I have a very limited taste in music.

--Pete

RE: What are you listening to? - Jim - 03-26-2011

Quote:Yes that's me about 15 years ago. Tongue

The picture did not display for me. I will have to use my imagination.
Hi,

It's not a photo of me, it's a Video of me singing Karaoke. Try this link:

YouTube Karaoke

(03-26-2011, 02:17 AM)Jim Wrote:
Quote:Yes that's me about 15 years ago. Tongue

The picture did not display for me. I will have to use my imagination.
Hi,

It's not a photo of me, it's a Video of me singing Karaoke. Try this link:

YouTube Karaoke

I don't know what codec they use, or maybe it is a port not open on my router, but YouTube has never worked for me. Can't say I miss it most of the time.

Since we have already hijacked this thread into an old people's fest, does anyone have a good remedy for indigestion? Tonight I've been listening to gurglings from my abdomen in between waves of pain. I think I like Beethoven better.

This afternoon I had an apple that had been at the bottom of my hydrator for about six months. Maybe that was a mistake.

About to try some cinnamon tea to see what that sounds like. Hope I don't have to revise my signature.

(03-26-2011, 12:27 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

Indeed. My "stations" (alphabetical and I'm still adding as I think of things I like):

As one can see, I have a very limited taste in music.

--Pete

Hi Pete...Hi Magi. Heart

That's what I call a list. Do you have a station for each one on Pandora? Can you post a link to the page?

This one is for Magi:

http://www.jango.com/stations/195701820/tunein?song_id=216245

(03-26-2011, 03:08 AM)LavCat Wrote: Since we have already hijacked this thread into an old people's fest, does anyone have a good remedy for indigestion? Tonight I've been listening to gurglings from my abdomen in between waves of pain. I think I like Beethoven better.

This afternoon I had an apple that had been at the bottom of my hydrator for about six months. Maybe that was a mistake.

About to try some cinnamon tea to see what that sounds like. Hope I don't have to revise my signature.

Hi,

When you say old you got me to thinking, I am old Idea it's been 15 years since the Butcher, oh my a flash back...Fresh Meat!!!, I remember it well the first time he killed me I found myself physically shaken.

For your indigestion try Tagamet it's an over the counter drug, it works for me.

The following drugs and medications are in some way related to, or used in the treatment of Indigestion:
http://www.drugs.com/condition/dyspepsia.html

Try this link for YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qauJXfjGyY

(03-26-2011, 04:32 AM)Jim Wrote:
(03-26-2011, 03:08 AM)LavCat Wrote: Since we have already hijacked this thread into an old people's fest, does anyone have a good remedy for indigestion? Tonight I've been listening to gurglings from my abdomen in between waves of pain. I think I like Beethoven better.

Hi,

When you say old you got me to thinking, I am old Idea it's been 15 years since the Butcher, oh my a flash back...Fresh Meat!!!, I remember it well the first time he killed me I found myself physically shaken.

For your indigestion try Tagamet it's an over the counter drug, it works for me.

The following drugs and medications are in some way related to, or used in the treatment of Indigestion:
http://www.drugs.com/condition/dyspepsia.html

On that list I have milk of magnesia. I hesitated to take it though. I am thinking about calling 911. Wondering if I have appendicitis or something.

Quote:Try this link for YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qauJXfjGyY

Nope, says it requires Flash.

Hi,

This does not sound good, you might have Food poisoning, 911 would be of little help except to order an Ambulance. I suggest you go to a local clinic or Emergency room.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-poisoning/DS00981/DSECTION=symptoms

(03-26-2011, 06:02 AM)Jim Wrote: Hi,

This does not sound good, you might have Food poisoning, 911 would be of little help except to order an Ambulance. I suggest you go to a local clinic or Emergency room.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-poisoning/DS00981/DSECTION=symptoms

Unfortunately I don't have a vehicle, and the way I felt when I made my previous post, I don't think I would have made it very far past the door. I asked my son if by any chance he would love to come down and drive me to the hospital. Fortunately he did not seem to pick up the message. I say fortunately because now, three hours later, I am feeling a bit better. Not great, but better.

I still have no idea what the problem is. I have only one symptom from the poisoning list. And I don't know if I was/am running a fever or not.

The problem with 911 is they would take me to the wrong hospital. Which may, in some circumstances, be better than no hospital at all. Or it might not. They once misdiagnosed one friend's appendicitis and she nearly died.

RE: What are you listening to? - ShadowHM - 03-26-2011

(03-26-2011, 07:36 AM)LavCat Wrote: The problem with 911 is they would take me to the wrong hospital. Which may, in some circumstances, be better than no hospital at all. Or it might not. They once misdiagnosed one friend's appendicitis and she nearly died.

If you feel that way, surely a taxi would work? A family member did that one fine day when he was sure he needed urgent medical assistance (he was right). Taxi drivers take you where you tell them to go.

And, please post soon to let us know you are ok?

(03-26-2011, 01:39 PM)ShadowHM Wrote:
(03-26-2011, 07:36 AM)LavCat Wrote: The problem with 911 is they would take me to the wrong hospital. Which may, in some circumstances, be better than no hospital at all. Or it might not. They once misdiagnosed one friend's appendicitis and she nearly died.

If you feel that way, surely a taxi would work? A family member did that one fine day when he was sure he needed urgent medical assistance (he was right). Taxi drivers take you where you tell them to go.

And, please post soon to let us know you are ok?

Ah, yes, but you have to pay them (assuming you can find one). If I had thought of a taxi last night I might have tried that option. I was pretty desperate. As a senior citizen I can get free medical transportation from the county but that stops at the county line. Which unfortunately does me little good.

I *think* I am OK now, thanks. I had a rough night, actually about a rough fourteen hours. I never had a problem quite like this one. Around daybreak I felt something like a drain being unclogged and my colon started to fill up. I could actually feel it.

My best guess now is that I had oatmeal (and apple) poisoning. Which sounds a bit strange, but there is a similar case documented here:

Deadly Dinner Party

I eat a lot of oats, raw and cooked, plus a lot of black beans. Maybe not a good idea. Too much soluable fiber can stop things up like cement according to the book I linked, which I read around a year ago. I never suspected my consumption might be in the pathological range.

According to wikipedia someone with a bowel obstruction produces "tinkly bowel sounds". How nice. Though I think I prefer guitar.

RE: What are you listening to? - --Pete - 03-26-2011

Hi, Jim,

(03-26-2011, 04:07 AM)Jim Wrote: Hi Pete...Hi Magi. Heart

That's what I call a list. Do you have a station for each one on Pandora? Can you post a link to the page?

Yes, I have a station for each of those. Plus a few more I added yesterday. I don't think you can get to the page they're on since it's my profile, but I'll see if there's a way I can link and share through FaceBook (I'll try that later, when I've got some time). For Pandora, Frag gave the link:

It is a free service (there's also a pay option, but I haven't tried it), and you get about 1 or 2 short ads an hour. Except for the unevenness in the volume between one piece and the next, it is a great service.

Not only can you set up a 'station' for each genre/artist/piece that you want to, you can make personalized mixes of stations. And the default 'quick mix' is basically everything you picked all at once. Also, you can 'like' or 'dislike' any particular piece. 'Like' means that you'll hear it more often and more similar pieces. 'Unlike' means you'll never hear it again. There are other capabilities I haven't played with.

One of the reasons I like Pandora is that I have it on my computers, my TiVo, and my Palm Pre. I can listen to what I like pretty much everywhere, and it sounds 'real good' through my home system.

EDIT: There's some problem with Flash 10 that keeps Pandora from interfacing with FaceBook, or so says Pandora when I tried it. Supposedly, it's being worked on.

(03-26-2011, 06:11 PM)LavCat Wrote: I *think* I am OK now, thanks. I had a rough night, actually about a rough fourteen hours.

I hope so. Your first post had me worried, so I skipped down to this one and was relieved that it seems over. Not really my business, but: you should get that checked out, it could be nothing, it could be an early symptom of any number of intestinal problems. Many of them can be controlled even without medication once diagnosed. In any event, I'm thinking good thoughts for you -- which probably will not help you at all, but it makes me feel better. Smile

--Pete

(03-26-2011, 07:29 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi, Jim,

It is a free service (there's also a pay option, but I haven't tried it), and you get about 1 or 2 short ads an hour. Except for the unevenness in the volume between one piece and the next, it is a great service.

Not only can you set up a 'station' for each genre/artist/piece that you want to, you can make personalized mixes of stations. And the default 'quick mix' is basically everything you picked all at once. Also, you can 'like' or 'dislike' any particular piece. 'Like' means that you'll hear it more often and more similar pieces. 'Unlike' means you'll never hear it again. There are other capabilities I haven't played with.

One of the reasons I like Pandora is that I have it on my computers, my TiVo, and my Palm Pre. I can listen to what I like pretty much everywhere, and it sounds 'real good' through my home system.

EDIT: There's some problem with Flash 10 that keeps Pandora from interfacing with FaceBook, or so says Pandora when I tried it. Supposedly, it's being worked on.

Hi Pete,

I was able to log into my Pandora account after many years of inactivity.
It appears I only have 1 station "Doo Wop"...yet I'm listening to South Pacific a broadway musical.
This is not a good message You have 39 free hours left.
As far as sharing my station an invite must be sent via email. [Not correct!]
One Pandora perk is getting the Full lyrics to a song.

To share My station, I need to send you this URL:

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh319388646145928389

WoW the URL works here at the forum. Smile
================================

Pete this is your complete list:

Gioachino Rossini Radio seeds: Gioachino Rossini

Ludwig van Beethoven Radio seeds: Ludwig van Beethoven

Johann Sebastian Bach Radio seeds: Johann Sebastian Bach

Sting Radio seeds: Sting

David Bowie Radio seeds: David Bowie

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Radio seeds: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Roger Miller Radio seeds: Roger Miller