The Lurker Lounge Forums
Nemesis woes. (arcane + vortex) - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Lurker Games (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Diablo III (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Nemesis woes. (arcane + vortex) (/thread-16111.html)

Nemesis woes. (arcane + vortex) - Nomad25055 - 08-22-2014

Quote:The whole thing's a pretty simple viral trick - a packet of monster, essentially, that pings around your friends list - it's a really good trick

So, on console at least, there is a new system called "Nemesis". A monster appears in your game at random (preceded by an ominous horn that starts faintly and grows louder with each sounding) and tries to slay you. Then, if successful, it will invade a friend's game when you (and ultimately they) go online. It will bounce around from person to person until it is slain. Sounds fun right? Well I thought so too until he appeared in my single player game (no internet for my 360) leaving me thoroughly confused and utterly dead. Until I had faced this Gigeresque demon, I had no clue what arcane or vortex meant exactly. I now know that arcane means purple radar of destiny and that vortex means "Hulk reverse", at least according to Blizzard anyway.

The problem here is that this guy shows up randomly as previously stated. I haven't been fortunate enough to find myself in a good area, nor have I been able to reach a suitable area in which to do battle. The other issue is that he is quick and can summon groups of monsters. So he spams arcane sentries, surrounds you with monsters, and sucks you back in when you try to get out of the mosh pit of glory. Thanks to the cooldown on potions (which I never need otherwise) I always get destroyed. About six times in four acts thus far, two of which were decidedly pilot error. My question is: What can I do as a crusader to effectively deal with this threat? Remember, he is quick, so "when in doubt, horsey out" doesn't work as well as it should. Is there a way to increase the effectiveness of rejuvenation? That way I could at least get a good chunk of health back when I have to run. Also, any tips for surviving this guy as a WD? I just started one and I suspect that he or most likely a different one is currently rubbing his hands menacingly.

Nomad

RE: Nemesis woes. (arcane + vortex) - Aahzmadius - 08-25-2014

I've not played on the console, but I have lots of experience with Arcane + Vortex. I'm assuming you're under max level?

-For arcane, there are 2 strategies. First is to avoid the needle completely. If that isn't possible, move in the opposite direction it is moving. This will minimize the damage you take-even less than standing still.

-Vortex is tough. Your best bet is to use terrain. Put walls, pits, rocks (anything your character must walk around) between you and most of the monsters. That way the Vortex will pull you into the obstacle, but not the pack itself. Getting out of range completely is difficult.

Other than that, gear for Toughness as much as possible. Or add DPS. Either option is workable, but it's hard to give specific numbers to you. I have a good ideas about end game target amounts, but not much to offer for leveling. And again, I've never faced this particular menace; it's not in the PC version.

RE: Nemesis woes. (arcane + vortex) - Nomad25055 - 08-25-2014

I stopped after act IV with my crusader (54) and started a WD (34) and a Barbarian (33). Both are in town on act 2. Interestingly my nemesis has switched tactics for them but I have died each time anyway considering his impeccable timing. He seems to like showing up for combat during elite encounters now, which unfortunately creates lag sometimes (too much on screen I think). Can't remember what he uses now. Some kind of grid of poison. He still summons some wicked minions though lol. If it was just arcane or vortex it wouldn't be an issue, it's his incredible timing combined with those two that gets me. I'll have to see if he still uses that combo for my crusader. Eventually he will show up in a location where I do have obstacles and he will pay dearly. My DPS and toughness are alright considering lack of high end gear at level 54 I think. It's the incredible damage from multiple arcane sentries that puts me down in under 3 seconds that saves him. Considering my resistances on my crusader are all over 200 now, barring any timing and lag shenanigans, I will crush him soon enough. My WD and Barbarian will likely be at the mercy of the new tactics until I get resists up though. I'm surprised at how quickly the Barbarian is becoming a force of nature. Definitely candidate for most powerful class. The nemesis learns from how you play supposedly. If there is something that you have problems dealing with, something that kills you or you avoid for example, then that's what he uses and he exploits your style of play. At least that's what has been said. This could explain his timing and choice of powers for the different characters. Luck won't be on his side forever though lol.
Nomad