The Lurker Lounge Forums
Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? (/thread-3942.html)

Pages: 1 2

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Doc - 09-04-2006

So says various sources on Google news.

He was killed by a stingray while doing a diving documentary.

How sad. :(

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Nastie_Bowie - 09-04-2006

wiki

Aussie news

Yep, sounds like a freak accident.

Rest in peace.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - eppie - 09-04-2006

Quote:So says various sources on Google news.

I just read it in the paper here as well.
Truly sad, I was a big fan of that guy. I wish all the best to his wife and children.
I was just thinking that stingray usually don't wound people fatally but apparantly he was stung in the heart.
The world needs more people like him that find a way to educate people about nature in a way that attracts everybody.
On a side note. If you can use these terms, he died a heroes dead, doing what he liked most.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - kandrathe - 09-04-2006

Quote:So says various sources on Google news.

Yes. Very sad. :( This is why Marlin Perkins never got out of the boat. "While Jim wrestles the Komodo dragon, I'm going to have a manicure by three lovely native girls."

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - DeeBye - 09-05-2006

Crikey :(

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - cheezz - 09-05-2006

Yep, sounds like a freak accident. .

Except that it wasn't. Steve Irwin made his claim to fame by repeatedly putting himself into harms way and by harrassing dangerous animals. More than anyone else on the planet, he had it coming, so sayeth Mother Nature.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - DeeBye - 09-05-2006

Quote:Except that it wasn't. Steve Irwin made his claim to fame by repeatedly putting himself into harms way and by harrassing dangerous animals. More than anyone else on the planet, he had it coming, so sayeth Mother Nature.

The ironic thing is that a stingray isn't really considered a dangerous animal. It's very rare that one will sting, and it's even rarer that a sting is lethal. There have only been a handful of lethal cases.

But yeah, Steve Irwin did tempt fate a little too much. Still, his shows were fun to watch.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Nomad25055 - 09-05-2006

I saw this on the news today. I am kinda sad that he died but you have to admit that something like this was going to happen, seeing as he constantly put himself in dangerous situations. I wasn't surprised at his death so much as I was surprised by the way that he died. Stingrays rarely kill people if and when they sting. I was almost certain that if he was ever killed that it would have been the result of a croc or a snake. I am sad to see him go but I feel even worse for his family, he left behind a wife and two children:(. The only good thing about this whole tragedy is the fact that he died while doing what he loved to do, we should all be so fortunate.

[Image: chod4.png]

NoMaD

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - SwissMercenary - 09-05-2006

Quote:Except that it wasn't. Steve Irwin made his claim to fame by repeatedly putting himself into harms way and by harrassing dangerous animals. More than anyone else on the planet, he had it coming, so sayeth Mother Nature.

Considering that people have done pretty much the exact same thing that he did in this case (Swimming around/above rays), and haven't been fatally stung (Total of 17 sting ray-related reported fatalities this century, in the entire world), it pretty much is a freak accident.

He probably had better chances of getting hit by a car, when crossing the street. Well not exactly, but you get my drift.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - cheezz - 09-05-2006

I still say it was inevitable. .

Regardless of how many people do a dangerous thing, when one person does dangerous things continuously, that person is massively increasing the chances if an 'accident' happening to him.

I suspect he was probably grabbing or holding the stingray when he was stung. No matter how much an animal lover/conservationist he was, I never got the impression that he truly respected the danger he put himself in. He may have said he did, but he never acted like it.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Yogi_Baar - 09-05-2006

Quote:I suspect he was probably grabbing or holding the stingray when he was stung.
According to the news, he was swimming well above the stingray when it stung him.

But I agree with you - if you constantly put yourself into dangerous situations, bad things will eventually happen to you. This freak accident was one such bad thing.

Presenting animals to people is a good idea. Constantly grabbing and harassing them, on the other hand, is not.

RIP, Steve-o.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - BigGrim - 09-05-2006

Quote:I still say it was inevitable. .

Regardless of how many people do a dangerous thing, when one person does dangerous things continuously, that person is massively increasing the chances if an 'accident' happening to him.

I suspect he was probably grabbing or holding the stingray when he was stung. No matter how much an animal lover/conservationist he was, I never got the impression that he truly respected the danger he put himself in. He may have said he did, but he never acted like it.

I've heard that used as a criticism of Steve Irwin, but that's part of what made his impact so great. I remember way back when the only animals shows were really his and Jack Hannah, with the latter being far less entertaining to me. Steve Irwin put the showmanship into his show by putting himself at risk to demonstrate the defensive mechanisms of animals. I don't think he went around doing it for the heck of it just to make them mad. Heck, he died while filming a show. The whole point about putting himself in danger was for entertainment value and it paid off in spades for him simply because of all the attention he got for himself...and subsequently for the nature that he loved. Considering that money went into conservation and it also allowed for increased awareness and appreciation of nature, Steve Irwin's "antics" have done a lot for us to respect and remember him by.

Thanks for caring, Steve.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Drasca - 09-05-2006

:( waaaaaaaaAAAAHH :(

I'm a crybaby at his death. Total crybaby. Tears tears tears. I'm not surprised that he died, everyone dies, and his life was at risk more than most, but goddamnit. I don't cry often, but this does make me cry!

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - NiteFox - 09-05-2006

Quote:He probably had better chances of getting hit by a car, when crossing the street. Well not exactly, but you get my drift.
And he'd wrestle that bugger bareback before it could get 'im down.

RIP Steve Irwin, who truly taught us that cowardice and fear are nothing compared to having a stick to poke something with more teeth than you have bones in your body with.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - LochnarITB - 09-05-2006

Nature is said to seek a balance. I think this happened in such a freakish way because Mother Nature looked down and said "Woah, this guy's had too much! Cut him off now!" Not only did he get to live his passion, he got to bring his passion to others. He had way more than his share of life but I would have volunteered just a little piece of mine to keep his energy in our world longer.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Taem - 09-05-2006

Quote:The only good thing about this whole tragedy is the fact that he died while doing what he loved to do, we should all be so fortunate.

Yeah, I would love to go out in the forest surrounded by nature, maybe while on a hike or something, next to a babbling brook. Almost sounds "pleasant" in an eerie sort of way.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Doc - 09-05-2006

It is going to require three funerals to bury the guy. One for him, and one for each of his big brass balls.

The man was incredibly tough, and funny to boot. I have this DVD of his, filled with all kinds of adventures gone wrong, and he was bit right on pecker by a very poisonous snake.

So they stuff him in to the back of a truck, the camera is still rolling, he is turning as white as a sheet and sweat is just dripping off of him. You can clearly see he is not well. His wife is with him, and she is not doing well either. Worry, panic, all those feelings that come with love.

He gets this big stupid grin, looks over at his wife, and says "Eh luv, mind sucking out the poison?" Everybody starts laughing.

I hope his last word was "Crikey!" It would be fitting.

The man yanked the barb out of his own chest. Tough as nails.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Ashock - 09-05-2006

Quote:The only good thing about this whole tragedy is the fact that he died while doing what he loved to do, we should all be so fortunate.

NoMaD

There are 3 things that I love to do at this time of my life. 1) Spend time with my family (that includes various things) 2) Taking my martial arts classes and 3) Playing computer games.

I'd rather not die doing any one of those. I'd rather die of old age.

Anyway, RIP.

-A

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Munkay - 09-05-2006

Quote:Playing computer games.

You mean you wouldn't want to die of exhaustion after playing a game for 40+ hours straight? :whistling:

Cheers,

Munk

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter is Dead? - Nomad25055 - 09-06-2006

Quote:There are 3 things that I love to do at this time of my life. 1) Spend time with my family (that includes various things) 2) Taking my martial arts classes and 3) Playing computer games.

Anyway, RIP.
-A

You wouldn't like to spend your final moments with your family?:(

NoMaD