The Lurker Lounge Forums
LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? (/thread-4359.html)

Pages: 1 2

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - DeeBye - 05-16-2006

17" CRT, 1024x768

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - yangman - 05-16-2006

15" LCD, 1400x1050

My other machine doesn't use a monitor. :P

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Griselda - 05-16-2006

19" CRT (one of those really-cheap-after-rebate Office Depot CRTs that they advertise a couple of times a year), 1152 X 864.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - swirly - 05-16-2006

19'' CRT usually running at 1280x1024. This one to be precise

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Wyrm - 05-16-2006

DeeBye,May 16 2006, 01:12 AM Wrote:17" CRT, 1024x768
[right][snapback]109976[/snapback][/right]
Ditto.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Nystul - 05-16-2006

19" CRT.

Usually I prefer good old 1024x768 desktop resolution (going higher tends to make web fonts and pictures undesirably small), although I use both 800x600 and 1600x1200 at times.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - NiteFox - 05-16-2006

19" CRT, 1280x1024.

LCDs and TFTs make my head hurt.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Quark - 05-16-2006

20.1" LCD, 1680x1050 Widescreen.

Can't go back to conventional :)

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Quark - 05-16-2006

NiteFox,May 16 2006, 07:37 AM Wrote:LCDs and TFTs make my head hurt.
[right][snapback]109995[/snapback][/right]

I'm the exact opposite. My eyes have slowly been trained to notice faster and faster changes. 7 years ago, 60 Hz wouldn't cause an issue. Then I started noticing the flickering. Okay, up to 75 Hz. Then I upgraded monitors, and it was defaulted at 85 Hz. So I got used to that. When a game bug in WoW reset my video settings and refresh went to 75 Hz, I was getting headaches from the flicker.

So for a CRT, I need at least 85 Hz to not get a headache, and I can tell the difference between 85 Hz and 100 Hz.

I bought my LCD for other reasons too, the main one being that green focus on my old CRT somehow died (just green, not red or blue), but I can't go back after having no issues :)

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - NiteFox - 05-16-2006

Quark,May 16 2006, 12:58 PM Wrote:I'm the exact opposite.  My eyes have slowly been trained to notice faster and faster changes.  7 years ago, 60 Hz wouldn't cause an issue.  Then I started noticing the flickering.  Okay, up to 75 Hz.  Then I upgraded monitors, and it was defaulted at 85 Hz.  So I got used to that.  When a game bug in WoW reset my video settings and refresh went to 75 Hz, I was getting headaches from the flicker.

So for a CRT, I need at least 85 Hz to not get a headache, and I can tell the difference between 85 Hz and 100 Hz.

I bought my LCD for other reasons too, the main one being that green focus on my old CRT somehow died (just green, not red or blue), but I can't go back after having no issues :)
[right][snapback]110000[/snapback][/right]
The difference between Brits and Yanks, I guess. See, the British are long used to low-frequency displays and televisions in the range of 50Hz (The average monitor refresh in the UK is 60Hz), while Americans have long been given years to attune themselves to higher frequencies.

I personally can't stand to set a monitor at anything above 65Hz.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Drasca - 05-16-2006

NiteFox,May 16 2006, 08:55 AM Wrote:I personally can't stand to set a monitor at anything above 65Hz.
[right][snapback]110005[/snapback][/right]

17" CRT

1280x1024 @ 60 hz most of the time. However I'd prefer 75 or above, because sometimes... I hear the 60 hz. In some situations, it is a high pitched whine to my ears. I can't stand it. My father and I both hear that range, but my mother cannot. I think the 60 hz is giving me headaches too, so I'm going back to 11x86 @ 75 hz

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - vor_lord - 05-16-2006

Dual 21" CRTs, each running at 1600x1200@85. Two at work, two at home.

I'd like to go to LCD, but it's very important for me to get 1600 across, and so far the LCDs that can do that (like Quark's) are still very expensive. Plus all 4 of my monitors are owned by the company so that's a big chunk of change saved to my pocket if I use them.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Bun-Bun - 05-16-2006

Two 19" LCD at 1280x1024. I've used 2 monitors for almost 20 years, and still run out of screen space. I'm contemplating upgrading one to a Dell 24" widescreen.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Rhydderch Hael - 05-16-2006

Holographic heads-up display, suspended in a xenon mist. But it's only visible if your look straight ahead.

Pay close attention never to touch the red and white candy-striped cover, too.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Doc - 05-16-2006

Currently using a 24 inch display @1920x1280 85.2mhz. Yar, it be huge. Next to it is a 21 inch monitor running 1600x1200 75mhz, and a third display, a 19 incher running at 1280x1024 at 85 mhz.

One monitor for work, all my documents and such are there. The 21 incher. The 19 incher is used for whatever, typically gaming. I always have something open in that one. Right now, it is Burning Monkey Solitare. The 24 incher is where I keep all my browser windows, net windows, email windows, messenger windows, and a small iTunes window running with the pretty swirly visual display.

For the longest time, I always, and I mean always, worked with a dual display set up, one of the reasons I have always loved the Macintosh. I started running dual displays back in the 80s.

A while ago, I noticed that my dual displays started feeling cramped. I spend so much time multi tasking with so many applications open and I started having trouble remembering what was where. There was the communications and work monitor, and there was the game monitor. To many communications apps opened, to many work apps, just to many windows in one monitor. Now, I have work and communications seperated, and a lot more gets done.

Seriously thinking about a fourth monitor, especially if I start doing a bunch of command line stuff with OSX unix. I am pondering teaching my self Perl. Or maybe Cocoa.

I don't see how anybody can get anything done one just one monitor.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - roguebanshee - 05-16-2006

Quark,May 16 2006, 02:58 PM Wrote:I bought my LCD for other reasons too, the main one being that green focus on my old CRT somehow died (just green, not red or blue), but I can't go back after having no issues :)
[right][snapback]110000[/snapback][/right]
Heh, same thing happened to me and I switched to a 19" TFT, 1280x1024, for home use.

At work I use some 17" CRT, 1024x768.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Munkay - 05-16-2006

Doc,May 16 2006, 11:06 AM Wrote:I don't see how anybody can get anything done one just one monitor.

I used to run a 21' CRT monitor and a 19' CRT monitor on my desktop, and another 19' monitor next to it running on a second desktop (I ran a switch for keyboard/mouse).

But about a year and a half ago I invested in a IBM thinkpad, which ment switching to a 14.1' screen at a resolution of 1024x768 (the highest resolution supported). Constrained by the small workspace I became best friends with keyboard shortcuts, Alt+Tab, Ctrl+#, etc. I even stopped hooking up a USB mouse, and work solely with the red dot pointer.

The strangest part about the switch is I don't feel my productivity has taken a hit at all. For most tasks on the computer, switching back and forth in windows has become second nature, and in fact having only one window to deal with at at time helps keep my focus on task. My eyes do not feel as strained as they did with bigger monitors, since I do not need to "look around" to see everything on screen. I've been able to put in some monster marathon sessions on my laptop without as much fatigue.

Most of my work goes nicely on the laptop, html work in notepad, MSWord, MS Excel, Email and Firefox. But there are tasks for which I wish I did have more screen space - photo/image editing, flash animating, and video gaming. The first two are a no brainer, the more workspace the better able you are to spread things out and work comfortably. The last is purely aesthetic, video games just look really great on a big screen.

I'm certainly not swearing off larger monitors or desktop rigs, and I'm sure I'll end up back there eventually. But to my surprise when I found my productivity to stay the same, and enjoy the bonus of sitting outside while doing work - yes, I am on the few people that takes full advantage of the laptop portability - I was overjoyed.

I never thought I'd say this, but I :wub: my small computer monitor.

Cheers,

Munk

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Doc - 05-16-2006

I am even thinking about getting two of those one handed keyboards they have out now.

I can use each hand independantly. I don't know how I can do it, I just know that I can. I am capable of writing with both hands at the same time, each one writing something different.

The way I see it, if I can configure my puter to accept two different keyboards, each tagged to a specific window, I could in theory, get twice as much done once I mastered the one handed typing style. I already use two mice. Now that I have mastered the use of both mice, I could not imagine living with out the second. I can navigate the web with one, while navigating iTunes or something else with the other. Or dropping documents in to the print que while I am dropping files on to the storage disk. I can play simple games, like Burning Monkey Solitare while browsing the web at the same time. If I can train both of my hands to type at the same time on different keyboards, I figure I could train my foot to operate a mouse... I bet I could do it. I don't need to look at what I am typing, so letting my eyes just sit there and doing nothing is a waste of time... They could be doing something, like watching my cursor drag files from place to place or playing solitare maybe while I am typing away. I dunno.

I'd like to see if I could, in fact, get twice as much done with two one handed keyboards. I could be typing out the budget while replying to emails. I could be chatting with folks as I finish the staff reports. I could hash out a proposal while typing a letter.

Benjamin Franklin could write with both hands at the same time, each in a different language even. I can't explain what it is like to do this. I can't do the different language thing. It scrambles my brain. :wacko:

I like laptops... But can not stand the tiny screens. That, and text always looks... fuzzy on LCDs. I have tried a few LCDs always go back to CRTs. I own a couple of laptops now. I like them for some functions.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Zyr - 05-16-2006

17" CRT, 800x600, with each of two computers in separate rooms.

And I don't get anything done.

LCD or CRT, and what's your resolution? - Maitre - 05-16-2006

DeeBye,May 16 2006, 01:12 AM Wrote:17" CRT, 1024x768
[right][snapback]109976[/snapback][/right]

work set-up (dual display):
1: 19" CRT at 1600 x 1200 (all the more space for spreadsheet models)
2: 15" laptop screen at 1024 x 768 (slightly larger objects so code is easier to see)

I just started using this setup a few weeks ago when the company decided I was important enough to have a laptop. Now, I never want to go back. The home machine is a 15" laptop that runs at some pityful resolution that angers me everytime I look at it.