The Lurker Lounge Forums
The Political Compass - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The Political Compass (/thread-5325.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

The Political Compass - Chaerophon - 11-13-2005

I thought that some of the folks here would enjoy this little test. Check it out if you get the chance at http://www.politicalcompass.org/ I fall somewhere between the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela on the scale :D. I'm curious to know where people stand!

Quote:Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

The Political Compass - Munkay - 11-13-2005

Quote:Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

Slightly surprised by my results. No surprise that I was slightly off moderate, but pretty close to it, on the y-axis of Social beliefs. But being so far to the left on economic was rather surprising. I was expecting moderate, if not slightly right.

Cheers,

Munk

The Political Compass - Mithrandir - 11-13-2005

Economic Left/Right: -2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

This seems to be a fairly accurate assessment, although I'm kinda curious as to what the "maximum" values for each since I expected to be marked as more libertarian on the social issues.

The Political Compass - Doc - 11-13-2005

Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Harumph. And I have always seen my self as something of a conservative, but this test places me in the leftist libertarian quadrant.

I am something of a libertarian... Er, well, crap. I try to remain as neutral as possible in my dealings, being never to left or never to right. But this has me leaning quite a ways over to the left, right about where Gandhi and Nelson Mandela are placed.

Aw nuts.

At least I am not a facist.

The Political Compass - Guest - 11-13-2005

It just shows how useless cliche groupings are.

I got -
Economic Left/Right: -0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.05

Basically right in the center.

But that really means nothing. I have very specific and even extreme views on many issues, but through the rather arbitrary groups of pop culture they APPEAR to average out.

The Political Compass - Doc - 11-13-2005

Ghostiger,Nov 13 2005, 05:37 PM Wrote:It just shows how useless cliche groupings are.

I got -

But that really means nothing. I have very specific and even extreme views on many issues, but through the rather arbitrary groups of pop culture they APPEAR to average out.
[right][snapback]94695[/snapback][/right]

I think I agree with you on this one.

The Political Compass - Minionman - 11-13-2005

We've done this several times on the amazon basin, it seems that in general the "social' numbers are less far from the middle than the economic numbers.

The Political Compass - Chaerophon - 11-13-2005

Ghostiger,Nov 13 2005, 02:37 PM Wrote:It just shows how useless cliche groupings are.

I got -

[right][snapback]94695[/snapback][/right]

As I've said many times before on this subject: I agree with your sentiment. I just thought that this was a fun little exercise. I do think that for most people, the outcome probably does roughly mirror their voting preferences (their preferred party is likely somewhere around their own area of 'leanings').

The Political Compass - Assur - 11-13-2005

Hm, I seem to be the minority here:

Economic Left/Right 6.00

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian 1.13

:ph34r:

The Political Compass - Minionman - 11-14-2005

-4.63 econ
-4.26 social

sort of makes sense.

The Political Compass - Nystul - 11-14-2005

Assur,Nov 13 2005, 06:28 PM Wrote:Hm, I seem to be the minority here:

Economic  Left/Right 6.00

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian 1.13

:ph34r:
[right][snapback]94699[/snapback][/right]

Wow! It may be interesting to see how these change with respect to country. For instance an American who may want more regulation could still want less regulation on an absolute scale than a Canadian who is in favor of less regulation in his respective country, and the answers they give to the questions may reflect the opposite. I thought I was about the most rightwing poster here (and I'm sure a few others would agree with that assessment :P) and I came up with:

Economic: -1.50
Social: -0.05

Moderately liberal! Also very close to Ghostiger's scores, which doesn't surprise me at all. And to the right of almost everyone else so far, which doesn't surprise me at all. So that only leaves your score for me to puzzle over....

The Political Compass - Yrrek - 11-14-2005

Mine says that I am:

Economic Left/Right: -5.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.15

Basically, I am close to communism on the economic left/right scale (which is on the left). And for the Social scale I am closer to Libertarian.

Althought I am closer to those two, I am only about halfway there, so I am not very extreme.

The Political Compass - LochnarITB - 11-14-2005

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

The Political Compass - Kevin - 11-14-2005

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51

My voting record does not reflect that though because the issues I care more about seem to be more "right wing".

The Political Compass - Griselda - 11-14-2005

Chaerophon,Nov 13 2005, 02:12 PM Wrote:I thought that some of the folks here would enjoy this little test.  Check it out if you get the chance at http://www.politicalcompass.org/  I fall somewhere between the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela on the scale :D.  I'm curious to know where people stand!
[right][snapback]94691[/snapback][/right]

Economic -7.50
Social -5.69

But you guys already knew that about me, didn't you? ;)

The Political Compass - Taem - 11-14-2005

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.13

On the test, the question of teaching our children religion in schools appeared. I strongly feel that teaching religion in school is not okay, however I'm torn in my answer because I also strongly think our society (the worlds) needs to teach MORALITY to our children in school! Why is it our systems are made to educate the pre-college children on subjects such as math, grammar, and history but leaves out important social and moral teachings such as interpersonal communication and meditation (self-evaluation)?

It seems in the USA we're all set on "go-go-go" and would rather medicate ourselves than look at the problems in our own lives. With both parties usually working in a relationship, there’s simply no time to sit and reflect on issues we might be having in our lives. Society needs to make time so people can figure out their problems. It should be a fundamental way of life and a requirement for our pre-college youth. There are so many parents (if you can even call them that) who are either completely focused on themselves or simply neglect their children altogether. How much crime could be prevented by teaching our children morality? If it was taught in schools, then we could handout harsher penalties for crime because our society would be well informed of not only the legal implementations of their crimes, but also the moral one's as well and how those actions can affect others. By knowing this information and still choosing to commit criminal activities, criminals could get was due them - "eye for an eye." "Rehabilitation" is more of a joke nowadays anyways.

The Political Compass - Bun-Bun - 11-14-2005

Chaerophon,Nov 13 2005, 04:12 PM Wrote:I thought that some of the folks here would enjoy this little test.  Check it out if you get the chance at http://www.politicalcompass.org/  I fall somewhere between the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela on the scale :D.  I'm curious to know where people stand!
[right][snapback]94691[/snapback][/right]

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Apparently I'm more Libertarian than I thought. :)

The Political Compass - jahcs - 11-14-2005

Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

Some of the questions have answers in the yes or no realm or have answers based on the true definition of a term used in the statement and are not disagree/agree type questions.

I don't beleive my economic line is in the correct zone either. Ah well, this little task got me to think about some issues, and I guess that was a productive use of the time it took to take it. ;)

The Political Compass - Doc - 11-14-2005

jahcs,Nov 13 2005, 11:28 PM Wrote:Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

Some of the questions have answers in the yes or no realm or have answers based on the true definition of a term used in the statement and are not disagree/agree type questions.

I don't beleive my economic line is in the correct zone either.  Ah well, this little task got me to think about some issues, and I guess that was a productive use of the time it took to take it.  ;)
[right][snapback]94718[/snapback][/right]

You and I are just about in the same sector. Does this frighten you?

The Political Compass - Armin - 11-14-2005

Oh dear...

It's even worse than I thought:

Economic Left/Right: -7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.56

On the other hand, this is pretty much exactly the diametral opposite of Maggie Thatcher, and I guess I can live with that :P