The Lurker Lounge Forums
Baseball playoffs - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Baseball playoffs (/thread-5574.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Baseball playoffs - Minionman - 10-02-2005

I've actually been kind of paying attention this year, thanks partially to my roommate's T.V. habits and the white sox getting in. That's who I'm rooting for. I was hoping Cleveland would get in as well, they would have been the backup team. Hoping the Red Sox and Yankees get beat. Haven't been paying attention to National legue, not sure what's happening there.

Baseball playoffs - Mithrandir - 10-02-2005

Red Sox fans have gotten as annoying as Yankees fans so I was really hoping that neither would get into the playoffs this year... but instead both did. Too bad. I was really pulling for the Indians in hopes that at least one of the two would get knocked out, but the Indians failed me. It's a shame that after they went on such a tear that they end the season 1-6 in their last 7 games.

Oh well, the Tigers aren't in so who cares.

Baseball playoffs - Munkay - 10-03-2005

Minionman,Oct 2 2005, 03:42 PM Wrote:I've actually been kind of paying attention this year, thanks partially to my roommate's T.V. habits and the white sox getting in.  That's who I'm rooting for.  I was hoping Cleveland would get in as well, they would have been the backup team.  Hoping the Red Sox and Yankees get beat.  Haven't been paying attention to National legue, not sure what's happening there.
[right][snapback]90772[/snapback][/right]

I'm disappointed that there won't be a deciding game on monday between the Yanks and the Sox to determine who wins the division. The Yankees were given the honor for their superior in-division play. When the Red Sox won last year all I wanted out of the team this year was to take the division.

The fact is the Red Sox aren't the team they were a year ago. There is no Pedro, Schilling can't find a solid groove, there is no Nomar or Cabrera, no Derek Lowe, Keith Faulke has been flaky after a solid August. Not to mention Edgar "Errors" Renteria or slumping Manny Ramirez.

In respect to the general opinion about Sox Fans:

I was born 200 yards from Fenway at Beth Israel Hospital and spent my life growing up in towns just outside of Boston. My family and I have always been very loyal Red Sox fans. To be honest I don't fully understand the recent hate focused on Sox fans.

I was present at Kenmore Square during Yankees game 4, Yankees game 5, Yankees game 7 and Cardinals game 4. There were incredible crowds gathered, and in all honesty a lot of positive energy in the air. This wasn't a scenario where people were flipping over cars (like Mich. state fans are known to do), people were dancing, jumping, chanting and hugging eachother. The heavy police presence was well known, and the natural friction eventually erupted when it got late. As a witness amongst many other present friends we've all concluding in sum once the police said "get out" people walked away and "got out." *

* I won't get into the argument about whether police shot first before giving fair warnings or about the few boneheads that were there to pick a fight with the police. On the whole the masses by the thousands left when they were supposed to without trouble.

Being at BU for my third year now, its the first year I have heard more "[explative] the Red Sox" than "[explative] the Yankees." And I don't really understand it. In truth, Sox fans will always be rabid fans and will always rub some people the wrong way, and I am not trying to argue against that. But for the first time I've actually seen people more relaxed than they've ever been about the Red Sox. This isn't the 2003 playoffs when the Yankees won on a walk off homer. The Yankees fans can and have said plenty of things to me about how good they are, and they are indeed a great team. But each time I've always walked away with a smile, because I know we finally took it home last year. I know this isn't an isolated feeling from the rest of the Red Sox fans.

So why is this year so different than the others? Why is there so much open hate for the Sox and their fans?

Cheers,

Munk

Baseball playoffs - Minionman - 10-03-2005

I think now that the Red Sox have their world series, people think of them as just another team that does really good every year, and are looking for someone else. At least that's what I was thinking.

Still, you have to thank to Red Sox for sort of clearing the way for the other "cursed" teams (white sox don't have a "curse", I think, but they have gone longest without a world series now).

Baseball playoffs - DeeBye - 10-03-2005

I love baseball playoffs because it means that hockey season is all set to go.

I still watch Toronto Blue Jays games, but until they have the ability to make the playoffs again I don't think I'll be all that interested in MLB playoffs.

:blush: Joe Carter 1993 :blush:

Baseball playoffs - Boutros - 10-03-2005

Minionman,Oct 2 2005, 04:13 PM Wrote:(white sox don't have a "curse", I think, but they have gone longest without a world series now).
[right][snapback]90789[/snapback][/right]

Cubs: 1907
White Sox: 1917

It's been a bad century for baseball in Chicago.

Baseball playoffs - eppie - 10-03-2005

Minionman,Oct 2 2005, 08:42 PM Wrote:I've actually been kind of paying attention this year, thanks partially to my roommate's T.V. habits and the white sox getting in.  That's who I'm rooting for.  I was hoping Cleveland would get in as well, they would have been the backup team.  Hoping the Red Sox and Yankees get beat.  Haven't been paying attention to National legue, not sure what's happening there.

Ah nice thread. Does anybody allready know when the red sox will play? I will be going to boston this week, and I would like to visit a game. Is it at all easy to get postseason ticktets or are all of these games sold-out very quickly?

Baseball playoffs - Munkay - 10-03-2005

eppie,Oct 3 2005, 06:24 AM Wrote:Ah nice thread. Does anybody allready know when the red sox will play? I will be going to boston this week, and I would like to visit a game. Is it at all easy to get postseason ticktets or are all of these games sold-out very quickly?
[right][snapback]90823[/snapback][/right]

Next home game is Friday October 7th against the chicago white sox. Post season tickets will have been sold out, but you can always go to fenway and see what scalpers are selling tickets for (the Sox have had every home game sold out for the last 2 years).

Cheers,

Munk

Baseball playoffs - Jeunemaitre - 10-03-2005

eppie,Oct 3 2005, 07:24 AM Wrote:Ah nice thread. Does anybody allready know when the red sox will play? I will be going to boston this week, and I would like to visit a game. Is it at all easy to get postseason ticktets or are all of these games sold-out very quickly?
[right][snapback]90823[/snapback][/right]

According to mlb.com, the Sox-Sox series will begin in Chicago on Tuesday, with Game three being the first in Boston on Friday the 7th of October at 4PM.

As to the National League, I've gotten much more into the senior circuit now that there's a local team (Go Nats!). The thing that kills me is that the Nationals finished last in their division at 81-81, and the San Diego Padres won thwie division at 82-80. It would seem even less fair if SD had lost yesterday and finished with the same record, but I think that the moral here is that the whole NL west needs to be blown up.

I'd expect a central division playoff in the NLCS: St. Louis and Houston. It doesn't seem that the Cardinals will have much trouble with SD, and with Pettitte, Clemens and Oswalt, the Astros look like a strong bet to win 3 against the Braves who've won the division title year after year, but never seem to make much of a run in the playoffs.

Baseball playoffs - Occhidiangela - 10-03-2005

Minionman,Oct 2 2005, 02:42 PM Wrote:Haven't been paying attention to National legue, not sure what's happening there.
I have put in an order at the nearest Burlington Coat factory for a large sized fur coat for Diablo. Houston is in the playoffs. I want to be the first to head to Act IV and present the lead denizen of Hell with his fur coat when the Astros win and Hell freezes over.

Occhi

Baseball playoffs - Nystul - 10-03-2005

I'm a Tigers fan. Baseball season officially ends on the day of the first high school / college football game....

Which can never get here soon enough.

Baseball playoffs - bigeyedbug - 10-04-2005

Normally I root for NL teams, but this year Go White Sox! It would be nice to see the Braves go all the way too, though I don't think they have much of a chance.

Baseball playoffs - Minionman - 10-09-2005

well, white sox have won three in a row, so they're in. Second two games were pretty good. First was a blowout.

Baseball playoffs - Minionman - 10-09-2005

Occhidiangela,Oct 3 2005, 07:45 AM Wrote:I have put in an order at the nearest Burlington Coat factory for a large sized fur coat for Diablo.  Houston is in the playoffs.  I want to be the first to head to Act IV and present the lead denizen of Hell with his fur coat when the Astros win and Hell freezes over.

Occhi
[right][snapback]90829[/snapback][/right]

If you meant win the first sries, you better get that coat out. If you meant world series, guess you'll have to wait.

St. Louis swept Padres, which I'm sure no one was expecting. :)

Baseball playoffs - Occhidiangela - 10-10-2005

Minionman,Oct 9 2005, 05:02 PM Wrote:If you meant win the first sries, you better get that coat out.  If you meant world series, guess you'll have to wait.

St. Louis swept Padres, which I'm sure no one was expecting.  :)
[right][snapback]91471[/snapback][/right]

The old joke is about the Astros winning the World Series. The others are just foreplay.

Occhi

Baseball playoffs - Pesmerga - 10-10-2005

'Stros fan, through and through here!

Astros over the Cards in 6 games :)

Note: That 18 inning game was badass. :)

Baseball playoffs - Rhydderch Hael - 10-13-2005

Aye. That was— interesting.

"Strike out! You're out! Inning over! Hey, you ran to the bag. Since you ran, I assume that means you thought you're safe. Okey dokey. Safe!"

Baseball playoffs - Minionman - 10-13-2005

Rhydderch Hael,Oct 12 2005, 09:41 PM Wrote:Aye. That was— interesting.

"Strike out! You're out! Inning over! Hey, you ran to the bag. Since you ran, I assume that means you thought you're safe. Okey dokey. Safe!"
[right][snapback]91898[/snapback][/right]

White Sox will have to start playing better, from what I've seen of the games. That is kind of a wierd way to win the game.

Baseball playoffs - TheDragoon - 10-13-2005

Rhydderch Hael,Oct 12 2005, 08:41 PM Wrote:Aye. That was— interesting.

[right][snapback]91898[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, that was one of the worst jobs of officiating I've ever seen. Not only was the outcome completely wrong, but he initially indicated out, got bullied into confusion and changed his mind.

I think the best explanation I've heard so far is that it was a young referee who got confused and assumed the veteran catcher would know better than he what happened. So much for calling it like you see it...

Baseball playoffs - Pesmerga - 10-18-2005

The game last night crushed me. As a long time Astros fan, being one strike away from a World Series, and then losing 5-4 is a crushing blow. I do however like Oswalt in game 6.

Come on 'Stros!