The Lurker Lounge Forums
Guild Wars grouping topic - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Guild Wars grouping topic (/thread-6479.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Guild Wars grouping topic - WarLocke - 04-28-2005

I'm online right now as Jhaele Flamehair, level 2 Warrior. Not sure if I'll pick up Ranger or Mesmer as my secondary class.

Post some names up in this thread or give me a yell ingame, or something! :(

Guild Wars grouping topic - Occhidiangela - 04-28-2005

WarLocke,Apr 27 2005, 06:14 PM Wrote:I'm online right now as Jhaele Flamehair, level 2 Warrior.  Not sure if I'll pick up Ranger or Mesmer as my secondary class.

Post some names up in this thread or give me a yell ingame, or something!  :(
[right][snapback]75472[/snapback][/right]

How did you get on line? I cant get past log in. Says the realm opens 1201AM PST 28 April. I was in the beta, I pre ordered.

What did I do wrong?

When I get on, my two alts are

Reprobate Rogue
Power Gerbil

If I ever get on.

Occhi

Guild Wars grouping topic - WarLocke - 04-28-2005

Occhidiangela,Apr 27 2005, 08:00 PM Wrote:How did you get on line?  I cant get past log in.  Says the realm opens 1201AM PST 28 April.  I was in the beta, I pre ordered.
[right][snapback]75473[/snapback][/right]

Heck if I know. I bought a fresh preorder box at my local Target this morning for $1, plugged in the key, and was playing.

And man, I will definitely need to pick up the retail box tomorrow... Gorgeous AND fun, AND it runs fine on my system; I'm in love.

EDIT: I also need advice on a... quest, I guess. I found Gwen's (broken) flute and finished that quest, but now she wants to follow me around (clicking on her switches between 'OK I'll wait here!' and 'I think I'll follow you!'). The only thing I seem to be able to do with her is give her the flowers I find, but it doesn't seem to do anything. What am I missing here?

Guild Wars grouping topic - SoulEdge - 04-28-2005

WarLocke,Apr 28 2005, 02:38 AM Wrote:EDIT: I also need advice on a...  quest, I guess.  I found Gwen's (broken) flute and finished that quest, but now she wants to follow me around (clicking on her switches between 'OK I'll wait here!' and 'I think I'll follow you!').  The only thing I seem to be able to do with her is give her the flowers I find, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  What am I missing here?

I haven't been able to give her a new flute (merchant bought) thus far, used to be able to do that in beta weekends, she will use the flute to heal you once in a while. Also, we can buy her the cape from merchant, can't quite remember what that does. Hint: listen to what she is saying.

A few RBers are on, I just logged off, calling it a night. Occhi, saw you online and sent you a whisper and guild invitation.

Edit: oh, my main character is Soul Edge, add that and you will see all my other characters, of course.

Guild Wars grouping topic - Falomin - 04-28-2005

I'm going to be playing as Fritz The Grand, Warrior base, not sure what secondary will be. Can't seem to log in at the moment though, doh! Got booted just as I killed a bad guy, at least he only dropped a shiny scale.

Brings back memories of losing connections after seeing a rare pop out of a guy in D2 :)

SoulEdge,Apr 27 2005, 08:16 PM Wrote:I haven't been able to give her a new flute (merchant bought) thus far, used to be able to do that in beta weekends, she will use the flute to heal you once in a while. Also, we can buy her the cape from merchant, can't quite remember what that does. Hint: listen to what she is saying.

A few RBers are on, I just logged off, calling it a night. Occhi, saw you online and sent you a whisper and guild invitation.
Edit: oh, my main character is Soul Edge, add that and you will see all my other characters, of course.
[right][snapback]75480[/snapback][/right]

Got on, had to use the old CD Key from Pre Order with the new disk from the new game in the drive. Not sure what all, but I wandered about, picked up Gwen, and was looking for the next trainer when I had to leave.

I accepted the Guild Invite Soul, thanks, are our New Tabards available yet? KoP's design that won a prize? Said hi to a couple of the other folks, was in wrong part of the world.

Occhi

Guild Wars grouping topic - Wyrm - 04-28-2005

SoulEdge,Apr 27 2005, 10:16 PM Wrote:A few RBers are on, I just logged off, calling it a night. Occhi, saw you online and sent you a whisper and guild invitation.
[right][snapback]75480[/snapback][/right]
I checked earlier and turns out I'm still in the guild from when I joined in the January BWE, although my cape is AWOL. Anyways... I'm guessing that that's going to be the resident Lurker guild.

My main character is Lurker Wyrm, a Ranger that's taking Mesmer secondary; build plan is for taking out mages. I've also got a Monk (not sure about secondary yet, maybe N) that's specializing in smiting. My other character plans are among a W/E (read a really nice build combination on the Basin that combines Hammer and Earth skills), a W/N, or an R/Mo.

Guild Wars grouping topic - Darian - 04-28-2005

After having scored the dollar box at Tarzhay today myself...

Wyrm,Apr 28 2005, 12:10 AM Wrote:My main character is Lurker Wyrm, a Ranger that's taking Mesmer secondary
[right][snapback]75492[/snapback][/right]

Heh... Ainsleigh Mackenzie is a Mesmer, Ranger secondary. Darian Redwin is a Warrior/Mesmer. This game is certain to inflict severe cases of altitits...

Guild Wars grouping topic - Walkiry - 04-28-2005

Hm, trying to find out if I can just purchase a code online (PlayNC says I can) and download the client (which I'm not so sure since I can only see the "beta client" as available download).

One thing that worries me is the amount of battle.net kiddies who are claiming to leave WoW for GW because that's where "real PvP is." Oh well, we'll see. Once I get in I'll be running my R/W as usual.

Walkiry,Apr 28 2005, 08:13 AM Wrote:Hm, trying to find out if I can just purchase a code online (PlayNC says I can) and download the client (which I'm not so sure since I can only see the "beta client" as available download).

One thing that worries me is the amount of battle.net kiddies who are claiming to leave WoW for GW because that's where "real PvP is." Oh well, we'll see. Once I get in I'll be running my R/W as usual.
[right][snapback]75535[/snapback][/right]

Maybe that will help reduce Lag on WoW realms? The nice thing about GW is you can make a pure PvP player at level 20 if all you want to do is play PvP. I think that was an intelligent game feature.

Occhi

Guild Wars grouping topic - Walkiry - 04-28-2005

Occhidiangela,Apr 28 2005, 04:04 PM Wrote:The nice thing about GW is you can make a pure PvP player at level 20 if all you want to do is play PvP.  I think that was an intelligent game feature.

Occhi
[right][snapback]75543[/snapback][/right]

Yup, I just saw that, nice thinking.

I have of course started PvE. Made a new account (it didn't recognize my E-mail address, so I guess they wiped the pre-beta free event characters completely) after I saw the old beta client connected and updated itself so nicely.

So, Walkiry Swiftedge has been created, now I'll run around like a headless n00b for a bit until I figure out what to do.

So far: slightly disappointed that the game runs very badly in my PCI video card. City of Heroes kept a steady 15 frames per second. I wanted to run both games at the same time, but I guess I'll have to two-box if I want to do it.

Also, no dual monitor support, sigh.

Oh well :)

What districts do people hang out on? I'm on the european ones of course ^_^

Guild Wars grouping topic - kandrathe - 04-28-2005

WarLocke,Apr 27 2005, 07:14 PM Wrote:I'm online right now as Jhaele Flamehair, level 2 Warrior.  Not sure if I'll pick up Ranger or Mesmer as my secondary class.

Post some names up in this thread or give me a yell ingame, or something!  :(
[right][snapback]75472[/snapback][/right]
The first one I'll work on is Kandrathe Del Gato. In the WPE she was Ranger/Elementalist, but I've rebuilt her as Ranger/Warrior.

{Welcome back Warlocke!! }

Guild Wars grouping topic - Ashock - 04-29-2005

So, is there a realm/guild or anything like that that I have to chose in order to be able to play with people here, or it's all the same?

-A

Guild Wars grouping topic - Walkiry - 04-29-2005

Ashock,Apr 29 2005, 01:49 AM Wrote:So, is there a realm/guild or anything like that that I have to chose in order to be able to play with people here, or it's all the same?
-A
[right][snapback]75599[/snapback][/right]

You have to choose territory (as in "America" or "Europe" and so on), everyone (EDIT: I mean every lurker) seems to be in America, but even if you choose Eurpoe (like I did) you can change it later on (a limited number of times though).

Even if you don't change, you can meet up with people in other territories using the International sectors (all players choose "international" when travelling to a town/district, and be on their merry way).

For a first session it was ok, met a couple of lurkers, we did a few of the starter quests together, fed Gwen a whole bunch of flowers (yet she still doesn't want her cape!) and did a few quests.

Things should get more interesting in the weekend.

Oh, and FYI, if you participated in the open early events but not in the later beta ones, the interface seems to have been improved quite a bit, it's much cleaner now.

Guild Wars grouping topic - LochnarITB - 04-29-2005

Lochnar Truflight is now launching arrows at everything in sight. I was having serious lag issues anywhere I went in WoW last night. It seemed that WoW was pushing me to open the box sitting next to me (which I wasn't sure I would ever do). Turns out I didn't even have to open the box to play. I still had the client installed from the first pre-order event. I fired it up, it patched everything and I was set to go. I found that my four characters were all naked males so I deleted them and made Truflight, a ranger.

I did have one problem that I have not seen in the forums I checked. I only have one weapon slot. Where we should have four slots, accessed with F1-F4, I only have the one and could not swap weapons without opening the backpack.

The game looks even better than when I last played it. The interface is nicely customizable. I am already having fits over lack of bag space, but that is normal for any of these games for me. I am forever the packrat. I can't see it being anywhere near as immersive as WoW, but it will certainly be a good alternative.

Guild Wars grouping topic - WarLocke - 04-29-2005

LochnarITB,Apr 29 2005, 05:26 PM Wrote:I did have one problem that I have not seen in the forums I checked.  I only have one weapon slot.  Where we should have four slots, accessed with F1-F4, I only have the one and could not swap weapons without opening the backpack.

You have to open your inventory and click the 'weapon sets' button. This pops up another window where you can check off the weapon sets (1 through 4) you want displayed/to use. Why they did it this way instead of through the F11 options beats me.

Quote:I am already having fits over lack of bag space, but that is normal for any of these games for me.  I am forever the packrat.  I can't see it being anywhere near as immersive as WoW, but it will certainly be a good alternative.
[right][snapback]75711[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, lack of bag space is a killer. What I've begun to do is only grabbing items that stack or are unidentified. The normal white items almost always sell for piddling amounts, and it seems to me to be more efficient to stay out longer and return to town with a backpack of magical stuff that sells for more.

Also, does the weird character highlighting bother anyone else? Like boss monsters will be limned in different colors, but either the effect is just wonky or my computer can't do it right, because it looks ugly. I've been all over the options and I can't find a way to turn it off. :(

Guild Wars grouping topic - LochnarITB - 04-29-2005

WarLocke,Apr 29 2005, 05:41 PM Wrote:You have to open your inventory and click the 'weapon sets' button....

Also, does the weird character highlighting bother anyone else?  Like boss monsters will be limned in different colors, but either the effect is just wonky or my computer can't do it right, because it looks ugly.  I've been all over the options and I can't find a way to turn it off.  :(
[right][snapback]75712[/snapback][/right]
Hmm OK I'll check that. Indeed strange that they would do that. It should at least have defaulted to four and let you turn some off.

I have not noticed any character outline. If it is on boss monsters, it may be that I've only seen one that I would call a boss (and it had a yellow triangle in its health bar). I was too busy dieing to it to notice.

One other thing that is going to bug me is being sent off to another instance on a quest. If I get sent somewhere which requires me to step through a portal, when I get back, everything is repopulated and I have to fight back again. I guess it is not real different from respawning monsters in WoW, but it just seems more drastic. I would prefer to be able to complete quests in the same instance and only move to the next when the quest line shifts to the next and allows me to stay there.

Guild Wars grouping topic - Ashock - 04-30-2005

Ash Ock

-A

Guild Wars grouping topic - Swiss Mercenary - 04-30-2005

LochnarITB,Apr 29 2005, 11:09 PM Wrote:One other thing that is going to bug me is being sent off to another instance on a quest.  If I get sent somewhere which requires me to step through a portal, when I get back, everything is repopulated and I have to fight back again.  I guess it is not real different from respawning monsters in WoW, but it just seems more drastic.  I would prefer to be able to complete quests in the same instance and only move to the next when the quest line shifts to the next and allows me to stay there.
[right][snapback]75718[/snapback][/right]

Just wait until you get to the Shiverpeaks... There, a pair of quests delibeately ask you to zone to another area, walk 5 meters to speak to an NPC, just to repopulate the area you've already cleared - fun. :unsure:

Otherwise, I've already gotten to level 18... Not surprisingly, with hardly any groups available. I'm typically out and about with the Spirits of War guild crew, under Do Not Run - feel free to ask any questions... Or invite to start a new character sometime. :whistling:

As for bag space - try taking a salvage kit with you. Find out what kind of materials you need for your class armour (Warriors - iron, Casters - Cloth, Rangers + Necromancers - Hide), and salvage the items that provide you with those materials. Drag the rest (Even non-magical weapons) around, to sell.

Once you are able to afford salvage kits, and pay the 50 gold fee to use your stash (Which is only accessable after you leave the starting area), life becomes a lot easier. The fact that, in larger parties, you get a smaller share of the loot, hence less junk also has something to do with it.

Guild Wars grouping topic - Ashock - 04-30-2005

Ok, granted I've only played for about 6 hours and solo and only started the post-attack part of the game tonight, but is it me or does this game remind anyone of Dungeon Siege (Thecla?).... nice eye candy and general suckege? Luckily I have Rome Total War to fall back on, but jeez what a boring game, bleh.

-A