The Lurker Lounge Forums
Melee Crit Rate - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Lurker Games (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: World of Warcraft (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Melee Crit Rate (/thread-6673.html)

Melee Crit Rate - BoddoZerg - 03-31-2005

I've been searching everywhere for the formula used to calculate melee %crit percentages. I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone on the Lounge know the formula for melee %crits?

If I recall correctly, it was pretty simple during Beta - it was something like 5% + (Agility - 20) / CLvl, Rogues got double the normal %crit. But it seems to have changed since then.

Melee Crit Rate - Skandranon - 03-31-2005

BoddoZerg,Mar 31 2005, 10:47 AM Wrote:I've been searching everywhere for the formula used to calculate melee %crit percentages. I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone on the Lounge know the formula for melee %crits?

If I recall correctly, it was pretty simple during Beta - it was something like 5% + (Agility - 20) / CLvl, Rogues got double the normal %crit. But it seems to have changed since then.
[right][snapback]72591[/snapback][/right]

The formula to crit in melee appears now to vary by class and seems to scale by level. I don't know it, but looking for just one formula may not get you anywhere.

Melee Crit Rate - Xanthix - 03-31-2005

If the formula has changed, is it at least still true that +30 agility == +1% chance to crit?

Melee Crit Rate - BoddoZerg - 03-31-2005

Xanthix,Mar 31 2005, 02:05 PM Wrote:If the formula has changed, is it at least still true that +30 agility == +1% chance to crit?
[right][snapback]72612[/snapback][/right]

Well it's always been level- and class-dependent. 30 agility for 1% crit was true for a level 60 Rogue in Beta, but not for any other classes or other levels.

I tested yesterday with a level 24 Warrior and got 1% crit per 11 agility.

Also, I have heard that each point of difference between your Attack Rating and your enemy's Defense Rating is worth 0.04% crit. (both positive and negative - if the enemy's Defense is much higher than your Attack, you will never crit) I believe the listed %crit in your skills screen is against an enemy with Defense = 5 * your level. (the maximum base Defense for your level)

PS: Come to think about it... I wonder if Resistances decrease the chance of spells to crit. That would be really interesting but obscenely difficult to test.

Melee Crit Rate - Kevin - 03-31-2005

BoddoZerg,Mar 31 2005, 01:11 PM Wrote:Well it's always been level- and class-dependent. 30 agility for 1% crit was true for a level 60 Rogue in Beta, but not for any other classes or other levels.

Also, I have heard that each point of difference between your Attack Rating and your enemy's Defense Rating is worth 0.04% crit. (both positive and negative - if the enemy's Defense is much higher than your Attack, you will never crit) I believe the listed %crit in your skills screen is against an enemy with Defense = 5 * your level. (the maximum base Defense for your level)

PS: Come to think about it... I wonder if Resistances decrease the chance of spells to crit. That would be really interesting but obscenely difficult to test.
[right][snapback]72614[/snapback][/right]

I thought it had been level/2 worth of agility was 1% crit. Hence you need 30 agi for an L60, but but only 15 agi for an L30 to get 1%. That is almost what the L24 warrior was though it should have been 12 agi and not 11 but oh well.

Melee Crit Rate - Mavfin - 03-31-2005

BoddoZerg,Mar 31 2005, 02:11 PM Wrote:Well it's always been level- and class-dependent. 30 agility for 1% crit was true for a level 60 Rogue in Beta, but not for any other classes or other levels.

[right][snapback]72614[/snapback][/right]

The crit vs mob-defense seems to be right, as my warrior gets crits all over the place on cloth-wearers, and quite a bit less on armored targets. I would guess 15-20% crit or more is not out of the question for my warrior on cloth-wearers. If they stay in melee range, they die quickly.

Melee Crit Rate - Artega - 04-01-2005

Mavfin,Mar 31 2005, 05:39 PM Wrote:The crit vs mob-defense seems to be right, as my warrior gets crits all over the place on cloth-wearers, and quite a bit less on armored targets. I would guess 15-20% crit or more is not out of the question  for my warrior on cloth-wearers.  If they stay in melee range, they die quickly.
[right][snapback]72632[/snapback][/right]

Wearing some mail and a little leather, my Warrior has about 31% crit. In all plate, it goes down to around 25%.

Like Mavfin, I've noticed I crit against cloth wearers (I'm referring to players here; mobs have set Defense values, so the fact that he's critting frequently against caster mobs is likely not a coincidence :) ) more frequently. This may be from the fact that they aren't getting hit in melee combat as frequently as a frontliner like myself, therefore their Defense probably isn't at 300/300.

At level 60, I get 1% crit from 20 Agility.

Some other Warriors and I have amassed a fair amount of +Defense items, and we're slowly getting some Core Leather patches (which add +5 Defense instead of Armor) to play with. We'll do some testing on how much Attack vs. Defense affects the critrate once we get bored enough :)