The Lurker Lounge Forums
nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Lurker Games (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: World of Warcraft (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! (/thread-7241.html)

Pages: 1 2

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - nobbie - 01-09-2005

This morning, I've got an invitation e-mail plus WOW key for the EU Final Beta although I didn't order a "Pre-Order" WOW package or participate in the T-Online WOW prize-competition. It seems the early application for the Closed Beta last year finally paid off :D

See ya soon in the (German) Beta!

nobbie, the 56K-dial-up modem tester :P

[Image: WOW_nobbies_Account.jpg]

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - Faragon - 01-09-2005

I'm in too. That is, if this accursed download will ever finish. Been at it since fridaynight, and I'm currently at 92% Downloading at an average of 12kb/s sucks [something very bad]

So.Very.Frustrated.

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - nobbie - 01-09-2005

Faragon,Jan 9 2005, 07:06 PM Wrote:I'm in too. That is, if this accursed download will ever finish. Been at it since fridaynight, and I'm currently at 92% Downloading at an average of 12kb/s sucks [something very bad]

So.Very.Frustrated.
[right][snapback]64848[/snapback][/right]
I'm lucky that I know one of the D2Network admins, who will send me all required stuff (beta client, patches) on CD-ROM's :D

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - Leshy - 01-09-2005

I'm currently at 85% of downloading the EU beta client.

However, I'm afraid I have to wait for Blizzard to allow more signups, considering there was no Final Beta-key preorder anywhere in the Benelux, so I have no key. I'll have the client once again, but can't play yet.

:w00t:

P.S. I hate you both for having keys. ;)

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - nobbie - 01-11-2005

nobbies first WOW (Beta) Character: Night Elf Druid "Desdemona", named after a moon of planet Uranus

[Image: WOW_Nobbies_First_Character_NE_Druid_DESDEMONA.jpg]

I think I'll forgo any attribute or skill fetishism, and play what I optically really like :D

My first impression of the Nightelf starting location (Darnassus/Teldrassil): Eye and ear candy - Awesome!
You can certainly see that this is a Blizzard game :)

My dial-up 56K modem connection (via T-Online), by the way, is working well so far.

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - TaiDaishar - 01-11-2005

Europa would've been so much better for how she looks...

*sigh*, I want in the beta as well!

Don't feel bad, the final release should be out in 4 weeks :)

nobbie,Jan 11 2005, 04:44 PM Wrote:Don't feel bad, the final release should be out in 4 weeks :)
[right][snapback]65009[/snapback][/right]

Buying regular games for 50$ is sorta fine but buying MMOs without a chance to check them out first is not something I wish to do, it's simply too much money for 1 month thus if I buy one, I want to know I like it and am planning on playing it for a while to make the money spending excuseable.

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - Treesh - 01-11-2005

TaiDaishar,Jan 11 2005, 08:29 AM Wrote:Europa would've been so much better for how she looks...

[right][snapback]65006[/snapback][/right]
Just remember that in release, someone may decide to report either of the names for being a real world reference. ;) Of course, it's not really a worry considering a lot of the names that don't get reported. It'd only be a worry if you did something to aggravate someone and they decide to report it just for spite.

Hope all of you in European beta have fun. :)

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - SoulEdge - 01-11-2005

Are there realms for the final beta? If yes, which one are the European lurkers on?

I should be in in about two more days of downloading. <_<

Also, I am wondering how the servers are catagorized(sp?).

Are they seperated to PvE/PvP only or it's also language seperated (aka french servers, german servers and english servers)?

TaiDaishar,Jan 11 2005, 08:57 AM Wrote:Also, I am wondering how the servers are catagorized(sp?).

Are they seperated to PvE/PvP only or it's also language seperated (aka french servers, german servers and english servers)?
[right][snapback]65013[/snapback][/right]
In the NA version it's separated by PvP, normal, or RP and at the very beginning of release by time zones as well so I'd hazard a guess that they'd do it similarly in the European release too - tabs for the different language servers and then the notices of which realms are PvP, normal, or RP. Of course, in NA beta, it was just split up into PvP and normal, iirc.

Quote:Just remember that in release, someone may decide to report either of the names for being a real world reference. ;) Of course, it's not really a worry considering a lot of the names that don't get reported. It'd only be a worry if you did something to aggravate someone and they decide to report it just for spite.

Quote:Real World References

This category includes both clear and masked names which:

* Are references to very well known people, characters, places, or icons (i.e. Britneyspears, Austinpowers, Mcdonalds, Georgewashington, Newyork)

If a player is found to have such a name for their character, guild, or pet, he/she may:

* Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email
Geographic location or planet names, for example, cannot be copyrighted afaik and thus their usage can never be forbidden. Also, the name "Desdemona", an Uranus moon, is quite familiar in fantasy.

Quote:Are there realms for the final beta? If yes, which one are the European lurkers on?
There are English, French, German and "Other" language realms. The German final beta realm has currently 8 servers, 4 PvE and 4 PvP, named "DE Final Beta X", where "X" is a number from 1 to 8. I'm playing a Night Elf Druid called "Desdemona" on the server "DE Final Beta 1", account "nobbie".

Quote:I should be in in about two more days of downloading.
Thanks god, a moderator friend from D2Network has sent me the 2.4 GB installer 1.1.2 + patch 1.2.0 on 4 CD-R's. The latest WOW client patch 1.2.1 was just a small 500KB downlaod when I logged in .. phew! :D

Quote:Also, I am wondering how the servers are catagorized(sp?).

See my above answer.

Quote:Buying regular games for 50$ is sorta fine but buying MMOs without a chance to check them out first is not something I wish to do, it's simply too much money for 1 month thus if I buy one, I want to know I like it and am planning on playing it for a while to make the money spending excuseable.
Well, I've found the solution for my part by simply ordering the (English) Collector's Edition for 70 Euro instead of the "normal" client version for 50 Euro. If the final game should turn out bad, which I really highly doubt after my first impressions today, then I have at least the valuable, limited edition collector's stuff incl. a 208-page WOW hardcover(!) artbook with loads of stuff from the fabulous Blizzard concept artist Samwise Didier and a 60-minute "WOW - Behind the Scenes" movie at Blizzard on DVD, which I always wanted. Add to that the free month for about 13 Euro, and you "throw away" about 20 Euro (at most) if you don't continue to play, because that limited edition stuff alone is worth at least 40 Euro.
I'll now have to read a lot offline (the WOW manual + the new GameStar WOW special magazine from today) to become familiar with everything. When I've done that (in about 2 days), I'll start to test my Night Elf Druid as far as I can and report back here soon. As I've said, the game looks really good so far and I can imagine that it's damn addictive, so the possibilty that you throw your money (the 50 Euro) out of the window is really, really slim - if not non-existent :)

nobbie,Jan 11 2005, 11:13 AM Wrote:Geographic location or planet names, for example, cannot be copyrighted afaik and thus their usage can never be forbidden. Also, the name "Desdemona", an Uranus moon, is quite familiar in fantasy.

[right][snapback]65023[/snapback][/right]
They cannot be copyrighted that's true, but characters and guilds with geographical places for names or in their names have been reported in NA release and have been forced to change, and not just on the RP servers either. And things that are quite familiar in fantasy can also been changed. It's not all about what's copyrighted and what isn't. It's what Blizzard feels affects the world. And what you quoted from my link is what is not allowed. You won't get as big of a penalty on your account, but Blizzard can change the name just by it being a place in the real world.

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - Leshy - 01-11-2005

Treesh,Jan 11 2005, 06:51 PM Wrote:It's what Blizzard feels affects the world. And what you quoted from my link is what is not allowed.
[right][snapback]65026[/snapback][/right]
Desdemona is a regular name, and obscure enough. I'm highly doubtful that it would warrant any sort of attention from Blizzard ;)

Leshy,Jan 11 2005, 04:17 PM Wrote:Desdemona is a regular name, and obscure enough. I'm highly doubtful that it would warrant any sort of attention from Blizzard ;)
[right][snapback]65043[/snapback][/right]
Let me clear this up. Blizzard isn't monitoring the names - it's the players in game that report the names. Blizzard then goes through the reports and see if it does violate something. So it's not Blizzard's attention on names that you have to really worry about. It's the players. And you can be darned sure if it's a reference to anything in literature, entertainment, history, places, etc. if you know about it someone else will too. If they don't like you, they'll report it and then Blizzard steps in and decides if it fits within their rules or not.

Now, that being said, do I actually think he's going to be reported for it? No, unless someone gets angry with him for some stupid reason (it's amazing the things that can get some of these people angry :rolleyes: ) and decides to get "revenge" by reporting the name. That is an often enough occurance though. Quite a few names are on the servers that violate at least one of the rules in the naming policy. Do they all get reported? No, not even close, but when they do get reported, most of the time Blizzard will see it as a violation and change it. I was just giving a friendly "this could possibly happen". Not a "OMG change it now! You're gonna get caught, taken out back, and get the tar beat out of you for choosing that name!" :rolleyes:

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - SoulEdge - 01-12-2005

nobbie,Jan 11 2005, 06:13 PM Wrote:Thanks god, a moderator friend from D2Network has sent me the 2.4 GB installer 1.1.2 + patch 1.2.0 on 4 CD-R's. The latest WOW client patch 1.2.1 was just a small 500KB downlaod when I logged in .. phew! :D

Lucky you. So after one more day for the 1.1.2 beta client, I still have to sit through two patches, great. :angry:

Why am I not already having fun and having the contents streamed to me while I am having fun? And patches? :huh: I thought all I need to do is to exit program and restart it, that's all.

I think I am spoilt by Arena.net. :(

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - Walkiry - 01-12-2005

*Crickets*

*Looks at empty mail inbox*

*Laughs maniacally*

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - Qrt - 01-12-2005

Lucky you nobbie! :)

So far I've downloaded 11% of the client, so perhaps tomorrow I'll be able to play! :)

nobbie is in the EU Final Beta! - Leshy - 01-12-2005

Qrt,Jan 12 2005, 04:41 PM Wrote:So far I've downloaded 11% of the client, so perhaps tomorrow I'll be able to play! :)
[right][snapback]65122[/snapback][/right]
This topic really is about flaunting your Beta Keys, is it not? :P

May Diablo strike down upon you lucky few! So there.