The Lurker Lounge Forums
Kids say the darndest things - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kids say the darndest things (/thread-7348.html)

Pages: 1 2

Kids say the darndest things - DeeBye - 12-22-2004

My 2 year old son loves french fries. Every time we go out for a drive to the mall or whatnot, we usually end up grabbing some dinner at a restaurant. Invariably, my son wants to eat french fries when we get takeout. He can't really pronunciate "french fries" though. He has yet to master the subtle nuances of the letter "F" and the harsh undertones of the "ch".

He gets pretty close though -- he calls them "cock eyes".

He also likes pizza. Hell, who doesn't? He stumbles a bit over this one too, in the same way he stumbles over saying his aunt Tina's name. He calls her "Tani", and he calls it "pazzi". He really likes pazzi.

I'm constantly amazed at his vocabulary, even though he has a hard time pronouncing stuff. It's like his brain knows what he wants to say, but his mouth just doesn't yet have the manual dexterity to say it correctly.

When I got home from work today, he came running up to me with a broken toy. It was a pair of toy plastic pliers that he managed to break apart. He shoved the broken halves at me and yelled what sounded like "UH OH BOKE DADDY FIZ?" What he really meant to say (and I was perfectly able to understand) was "Uh oh, I seem to have accidently broken this toy. I am asking you, father dearest, if you might be able to fix it for me."

I love listening to my son talk. He especially loves talking to telemarketers when they call me in the middle of dinner.

Kids say the darndest things - Bob - 12-22-2004

[extremely strong Valleys accent] 'iya!
Would be my nieces favourite word (you may remember that she was born 2 weeks before your son Dee). Well, at least, she enjoys the 'iya game of saying it back and for to each other.

Food in genereal spent a while being called "nuummmmm", but it isn't anymore.
She can also say DVD and TV, a very 21st century girl.

I know she understands far more than she says though;

*point at bag of shopping (not a heavy one)*
"take that to uncle Thomas please"
*She picks the bag up and walks into the other room to find uncle Thomas*
"Ta" - just to remind uncle Thomas to say thankyou.

Having small persons talk to telemarketers, that's not a bad idea...

-Bob

Kids say the darndest things - Occhidiangela - 12-22-2004

DeeBye,Dec 22 2004, 12:20 AM Wrote:My 2 year old son loves french fries.  Every time we go out for a drive to the mall or whatnot, we usually end up grabbing some dinner at a restaurant.  Invariably, my son wants to eat french fries when we get takeout.  He can't really pronunciate "french fries" though.  He has yet to master the subtle nuances of the letter "F" and the harsh undertones of the "ch".

He also likes pizza.  Hell, who doesn't?  He stumbles a bit over this one too, in the same way he stumbles over saying his aunt Tina's name.  He calls her "Tani", and he calls it "pazzi".  He really likes pazzi.

I'm constantly amazed at his vocabulary, even though he has a hard time pronouncing stuff.  It's like his brain knows what he wants to say, but his mouth just doesn't yet have the manual dexterity to say it correctly.

When I got home from work today, he came running up to me with a broken toy.  It was a pair of toy plastic pliers that he managed to break apart.  He shoved the broken halves at me and yelled what sounded like "UH OH BOKE DADDY FIZ?"  What he really meant to say (and I was perfectly able to understand) was "Uh oh, I seem to have accidently broken this toy.  I am asking you, father dearest, if you might be able to fix it for me."

I love listening to my son talk.  He especially loves talking to telemarketers when they call me in the middle of dinner.
[right][snapback]63325[/snapback][/right]

When my son was twoish, he would snow and again it on my lap and rub my face when I had not shaved, talking two talk and inevitably bringing up "daddy's guddy bears." We weren't sure where he got that, until a bout a year later, when talking kids with a friend who said

"He was probably trying to say "got a beard."

To this day, when I don't shave, either my wife, daughter, or son will refer to my "guddy bears." Funnier than five o clock shadow, and sillier.

Occhi

Kids say the darndest things - ShadowHM - 12-22-2004

And sometimes they say them at the darnest times - my firstborn son was much enamoured of his truck collection. He played with them quite a lot when about your son's age. However, he called them frucks.

Nothing like strolling down the street and having your son explode into joy at the sight of a fire truck, screaming "Fruck! Fruck!" at the top of his lungs. :rolleyes:

Kids say the darndest things - Tal - 12-22-2004

My daughter, having reached the storied age of five, has decided to continue her terrible twos for the third straight year. My wife and I have been trying to get a handle on this willful child of ours and have decided to start threatening her with the big S guy. Thats right. We've been threatening that Santa will not bring her any toys this year if she doesn't straigthen up and I mean straightenuprightnow! So we were out running an errand with our daughter who was misbehaving as is her wont (see first sentence) and my wife remarks:

"You know Sharon, if you continue to be bad Santa won't bring you any presents this year."

"Yes," I chime in, "He's watching you right now in his magic snowball."

And from the back seat comes a indignant reply:

"THAT'S SPYING SANTA!"

:D

Kids say the darndest things - Minionman - 12-22-2004

Me and my brother sometimes make up words when we can't think of the right one to say. dangerous chemicals were "toxitic" once, While walking a "plunk" of rain fall on me (A big drop), people "pronunciate" words, and don't act better than you are because that's being "insuperior". my brother is about 3 3/4 years younger than me, and I remember this stuff from when we were both around 12-14 years old.

My brother also sometimes makes up pointless arguments, such as that the yellow pages aren't actually yellow, they're "light yellow". This was around the same ages.

Kids say the darndest things - kandrathe - 12-22-2004

DeeBye,Dec 22 2004, 01:20 AM Wrote:My 2 year old son loves french fries.  Every time we go out for a drive to the mall or whatnot, we usually end up grabbing some dinner at a restaurant.  Invariably, my son wants to eat french fries when we get takeout.  He can't really pronunciate "french fries" though.  He has yet to master the subtle nuances of the letter "F" and the harsh undertones of the "ch".

He also likes pizza.  Hell, who doesn't?  He stumbles a bit over this one too, in the same way he stumbles over saying his aunt Tina's name.  He calls her "Tani", and he calls it "pazzi".  He really likes pazzi.

I'm constantly amazed at his vocabulary, even though he has a hard time pronouncing stuff.  It's like his brain knows what he wants to say, but his mouth just doesn't yet have the manual dexterity to say it correctly.

When I got home from work today, he came running up to me with a broken toy.  It was a pair of toy plastic pliers that he managed to break apart.  He shoved the broken halves at me and yelled what sounded like "UH OH BOKE DADDY FIZ?"  What he really meant to say (and I was perfectly able to understand) was "Uh oh, I seem to have accidently broken this toy.  I am asking you, father dearest, if you might be able to fix it for me."

I love listening to my son talk.  He especially loves talking to telemarketers when they call me in the middle of dinner.
I had an emergency at work, and so arrived home at about 7:00 pm one night last week. My 4 year old had been waiting all day to play his new game with me, and so I said "Well, we've got about an hour to get a whole days worth of playing in, how does that sound?" His reply, "Annoying."

My two year olds favorite phrase lately, in a billy goats gruff voice is "Hey! What's that ______ (e.g. Christmas Song, Noise, Commotion) all about?" He fills in the blank with just about anything that makes a noise. Sometimes then followed by a definite "Harumpf."

Kids say the darndest things - ShadowHM - 12-22-2004

Minionman,Dec 22 2004, 11:41 AM Wrote:Me and my brother sometimes make up words when we can't think of the right one to say. [right][snapback]63339[/snapback][/right]

"sickitating" - used by one son to describe the dinner I had just served. I was not amused. <_<

"nexterday" - the day after tomorrow :)

Kids say the darndest things - Minionman - 12-23-2004

ShadowHM,Dec 22 2004, 01:03 PM Wrote:"sickitating"&nbsp; - used by one son to describe the dinner I had just served.&nbsp; I was not amused.&nbsp; <_<

"nexterday" - the day after tomorrow&nbsp; :)
[right][snapback]63351[/snapback][/right]

I have to remember these.

Kids say the darndest things - DeeBye - 12-23-2004

ShadowHM,Dec 22 2004, 03:03 PM Wrote:"nexterday" - the day after tomorrow&nbsp; :)
[right][snapback]63351[/snapback][/right]

This word is pure genius.

Here's another one my son said to me tonight. I'll let you decipher it.

"DADDY BAFF BUBBO AW KEEN!"

hint: he had a towel wrapped around him at the time

Kids say the darndest things - Yrrek - 12-23-2004

DeeBye,Dec 23 2004, 12:18 AM Wrote:Here's another one my son said to me tonight.&nbsp; I'll let you decipher it.

"DADDY BAFF BUBBO AW KEEN!"
hint:&nbsp; he had a towel wrapped around him at the time
[right][snapback]63394[/snapback][/right]

Daddy bath bubbles all clean?

Yrrek,Dec 23 2004, 01:25 AM Wrote:Daddy bath bubbles all clean?
[right][snapback]63395[/snapback][/right]

You win :)

He just got out of the tub, and was telling me the VERY IMPORTANT NEWS that he had a bath (WITH BUBBLES!) and was now clean as a whistle.

Sorry about the excessive caps lock, but two year olds really do talk that way :wacko:

Kids say the darndest things - Saxywoo - 12-29-2004

DeeBye,Dec 22 2004, 06:20 AM Wrote:I'm constantly amazed at his vocabulary, even though he has a hard time pronouncing stuff.&nbsp; It's like his brain knows what he wants to say, but his mouth just doesn't yet have the manual dexterity to say it correctly.

When I got home from work today, he came running up to me with a broken toy.&nbsp; It was a pair of toy plastic pliers that he managed to break apart.&nbsp; He shoved the broken halves at me and yelled what sounded like "UH OH BOKE DADDY FIZ?"&nbsp; What he really meant to say (and I was perfectly able to understand) was "Uh oh, I seem to have accidently broken this toy.&nbsp; I am asking you, father dearest, if you might be able to fix it for me."

I love listening to my son talk.&nbsp; He especially loves talking to telemarketers when they call me in the middle of dinner.

I have a 3 year old daughter, who is using words like "actually" or saying something like "that was totally funny" or "I have decided" - isn't it amazing that kids pick up language so quickly? She is picking up Spanish at school and by watching Dora (and can count to 10 in Spanish).

I don't know if this is your first child, but if it is, you're eventually going to remember the days when your son couldn't talk yet fondly. But then again, that could be the difference between boys and girls. I know that both of my daughters WOULD NOT SHUT UP. They started talking the minute they woke up to the minute you told them to go to sleep. I don't think that I really talked all that much, but then again, I am the middle son, and 3 of 4 children total, and was pretty much ignored.

Having your 3 year old son talk to telemarketers? Now THAT is an awesome idea! Wish I had thought of that or known about that before we were put on the Do Not Call listing.

If you want your child to be multilingual, now is the time to get him started. The earlier you get them started, you'll be able to avoid their getting locked into a certain way of verb conjigation (sp?).

Enjoy this time with your son. The teenage years are coming. Cherish this time with him. (And if you have other children, them too.

SaxyCorp

Kids say the darndest things - DeeBye - 12-29-2004

Saxywoo,Dec 28 2004, 11:57 PM Wrote:I don't know if this is your first child, but if it is, you're eventually going to remember the days when your son couldn't talk yet fondly.
[right][snapback]63778[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, this is our first. I actually prefer this psuedo-talking period over the non-talking period. When he's upset, he is usually able to tell me why so I can fix it.

I also think I have the politeist 2 year old ever. When he was just starting to talk and had a vocabulary of about 10 words, among them were "please" (PEEZ) and "thank you" (TAT CHU). He says please and thank you without being prompted.

Just tonight he was spinning in circles like kids do, and I guess he got dizzy and lost his balance. He bumped into a glass of Coke and knocked it over. It was a complete accident and I definitely wasn't mad at him or anything. I grabbed a dishtowel and began sopping up the Coke out of the carpet, and I noticed he also grabbed a towel and tried to do the same. He started saying "sorry daddy" about a million times. He was genuinely sorry for knocking over a drink, and it almost broke my heart listening to him say how sorry he was and trying to clean it up. I kept telling him it was okay and that I knew it was an accident, but he wouldn't stop saying sorry until I got the mess cleaned up. He insisted on giving me a huge hug to make things all better.

Kids say the darndest things - ShadowHM - 12-29-2004

Saxywoo,Dec 28 2004, 10:57 PM Wrote:&nbsp; But then again, that could be the difference between boys and girls.&nbsp; I know that both of my daughters WOULD NOT SHUT UP.&nbsp; They started talking the minute they woke up to the minute you told them to go to sleep.&nbsp; [right][snapback]63778[/snapback][/right]

And they stopped when you told them to go to sleep? I urgently need to know how you do that. :)

Kids say the darndest things - DeeBye - 12-29-2004

ShadowHM,Dec 29 2004, 01:05 AM Wrote:And they stopped when you told them to go to sleep?&nbsp; I urgently need to know how you do that.&nbsp; :)
[right][snapback]63788[/snapback][/right]

My son talks in his sleep. It's usually quite hilarious to listen to. He has conversations with all of his favourite TV characters.

"THOMAS SNOW OH NO!"

"JOE BLUE PAWPRINT RIGHT THERE!"

"BACKPACK BACKPACK MAP MAP"

If you don't have kids, you won't understand what I just said.

Kids say the darndest things - Doc - 12-29-2004

DeeBye,Dec 29 2004, 12:12 AM Wrote:My son talks in his sleep.&nbsp; It's usually quite hilarious to listen to.&nbsp; He has conversations with all of his favourite TV characters.

"THOMAS SNOW OH NO!"

"JOE BLUE PAWPRINT RIGHT THERE!"

"BACKPACK BACKPACK MAP MAP"

If you don't have kids, you won't understand what I just said.
[right][snapback]63789[/snapback][/right]

Thomas the Tank Engine.

Blue's Clues.

Dora the Explorer.

My wife has the mindset of a small child. These are her favourite shows. She actually cried when the first host of Blue's Clues left the show. She was completely heart broken.

Bear in the Big Blue House is a big hit too.

Kids say the darndest things - Tal - 12-29-2004

Saxywoo,Dec 28 2004, 11:57 PM Wrote:I don't know if this is your first child, but if it is, you're eventually going to remember the days when your son couldn't talk yet fondly.&nbsp; But then again, that could be the difference between boys and girls.&nbsp; I know that both of my daughters WOULD NOT SHUT UP.&nbsp; They started talking the minute they woke up to the minute you told them to go to sleep.&nbsp; I don't think that I really talked all that much, but then again, I am the middle son, and 3 of 4 children total, and was pretty much ignored.
[right][snapback]63778[/snapback][/right]

Oh my daughter is only 5 and I already miss the non-talking stage. Luckily though I have developed "husband ears" that allows me to filter out most anything unless it contains select words like "bankrupt", "missing {insert body part here}", or "Cat on fire". ;)

Kids say the darndest things - LochnarITB - 12-29-2004

DeeBye,Dec 28 2004, 10:25 PM Wrote:He started saying "sorry daddy" about a million times.&nbsp; He was genuinely sorry for knocking over a drink, and it almost broke my heart listening to him say how sorry he was and trying to clean it up.&nbsp; I kept telling him it was okay and that I knew it was an accident, but he wouldn't stop saying sorry until I got the mess cleaned up.&nbsp; He insisted on giving me a huge hug to make things all better.
[right][snapback]63783[/snapback][/right]
Geez I'm a sap! Knowing the fear and sadness that a little kid can feel over such a minor accident, your tale did get to me. I could feel the tears welling up. Its the kind of thing that makes you want to grab them up and hold them and tell them that everything is going to be OK. The simplicity of their lives at that age is such a precious thing. It is hard to see anything disturb that.