The Lurker Lounge Forums
What is your "Golden Boy"? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What is your "Golden Boy"? (/thread-7733.html)

Pages: 1 2

What is your "Golden Boy"? - DeeBye - 10-28-2004

In an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry talks about his favourite shirt. It's the one he wears first after doing all of his laundry. He calls it "Golden Boy".

Does anyone else have their own Golden Boy?

Mine is a 12 year old Butthole Surfers t-shirt my wife bought me when we were just dating. I love this shirt, but it is looking a little worse for wear. It has three holes that are big enough to put my fist through, and countless other smaller holes. The collar and waist are all frayed. My wife won't let me wear it out in public, but I bomb around the house in it all the time. When I do a fresh load of laundry, my Butthole Surfers shirt is the first one I grab. I'm almost afraid to wash it now, because every time I do it gets another set of holes worn into it. I estimate it will vapourize within the next year.

edit: oh hey, I just noticed that this post goes along swimmingly with my custom title

What is your "Golden Boy"? - NuurAbSaal - 10-28-2004

Hi

First, my (current) "Golden Boy" would be a fairly new bright orange "Singapore - Lion City" T-Shirt I bought during a one hour stay at Singapore airport, on my way to Australia. I am mighty proud I thought about buying something with "Singapore" on it, now people think I have been there but I have only seen the airport, hehehe, :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Second, DeeBye, what's with the shirt??

:)

Greetings

Nuur

What is your "Golden Boy"? - ShadowHM - 10-28-2004

DeeBye,Oct 27 2004, 11:54 PM Wrote:In an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry talks about his favourite shirt.  It's the one he wears first after doing all of his laundry.  He calls it "Golden Boy".

[right][snapback]58433[/snapback][/right]

I do. :o

In fact, there are several. One is a very ratty old turtleneck that is not fit for public viewing anymore, as the collar and cuffs are ragged, but it sure is soft and comfortable now. No logo. I dislike logo shirts, even though I also have an old crewneck Moosehead shirt that is up high on the list of favourites too. The last one is another long-sleeved crewneck that has a print of one of the Group of Seven paintings on the front. It too has ratty cuffs and collar, but it is just so soft that I cannot give up wearing it.

And there is another that I really love to wear at the cottage. It is a shirt from an old thermal underwear set that I inherited from my father, who worked in the woods department of Abitibi-Price and had to stay in the bush camps during the week. It must be 60 years old now. It can no longer be machine washed. Parts of the quilted covering are worn through. It still works just perfectly as a layer in between a turtleneck and a bush shirt for outdoor evening attire.

What is your "Golden Boy"? - Tal - 10-28-2004

I have a couple "Golden Boys"

First on the list is a black T-Shirt with a ghost and the slogan "Sheet faced". Next is a orange shirt with a jack o' lantern emblazoned on it. Then there a few soft orioles t-shirts and finally is a recent acquisition, a Nightmare Before Christmas grey t-shirt with Jack Skellington on it. (Sensing a theme?)

For winter time I have a few Illinois sweatshirts that are very comfortable but they don't hold a candle to my Green Lantern and Batman logo long sleeve lounging shirts. :)

What is your "Golden Boy"? - --Pete - 10-28-2004

Hi,

Not at present, but for years I had a fencing t-shirt that was my first choice. It showed a modern fencer with full modern gear and epee and a worried look on his face. Next to him, and probably causing that look, was a Viking with an 'ate the canary grin' and a broadsword.

--Pete

What is your "Golden Boy"? - Jeunemaitre - 10-28-2004

DeeBye,Oct 27 2004, 11:54 PM Wrote:In an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry talks about his favourite shirt.  It's the one he wears first after doing all of his laundry.  He calls it "Golden Boy".

My orange "Tucker Anthony: Official Investment Firm of the Big East" T-shirt. The print on the front and back are fading now, so it's a bit more difficult to read from a distance. I was fortunate enough to obtain this shirt at a Syracuse Basketball game (it was one of those promotions where the cheerleaders throw shirts out into the crowd following a made 3-pointer by the home team).

Close second is my SUMB trumpet section shirt from my senior year in college. Each year, each of the marching band sections would design a shirt commemorating section membership. This one is a grey T with an orange outline of a garbage can on the front, and D O M E in 8 inch letters on the back, spaced the same way they were on a trashcan that lived in the corner of the field in the Carrier Dome where we held sectional rehearsals. Hard to see in type, but the stencil got shifted to the right after the first two letters were painted. If you don't get it, let me know...

What is your "Golden Boy"? - Munkay - 10-28-2004

Since I was 16 I've been in the habit of drawing on white t-shirts with perminant markers. I've yet to make any unfixable mistake, and my favorite is still the first one I ever made. It says PATHOS across the chest. Its slightly off center, and a little too high up. Since then I've become very proficient at t-shirt 'making.' Even tried my hand at silk screening a few times.

I still love to wear it on special occaisions, when I am very nervous, or uncontrollably happy. Its my Golden Boy!

Cheers,

Munk

What is your "Golden Boy"? - WarLocke - 10-28-2004

DeeBye,Oct 27 2004, 11:54 PM Wrote:Does anyone else have their own Golden Boy?[right][snapback]58433[/snapback][/right]

I have a couple.

First, there's the Martian Belle shirt I picked up on a visit to Virtual World Entertainment nearly 10 years ago. It's too small for me to wear, but it gets special care because I love the pinup look and it reminds me of how cool VWE was. :(

Secondly, I have a Lifeforms shirt I wear all the time. It's black and on the back there's the image of a chihuahua leaping off of the ropes of a wrestling ring (square?) at an iguana. It's starting to show its' age, though.

I also have a bunch of Big Dog shirts I love, with logos ranging from 'WWF Mutt Wrestling' to 'Who's Your Doggie?' and 'Dog Wars: Epawsode 1'. I really wish I knew of a Big Dog outlet that wasn't in Tenessee; I need to stock up again.

What is your "Golden Boy"? - kandrathe - 10-28-2004

I have a nice thick cotton t-shirt in teal and black "Dive Belize", and then one I bought in Santa Barbara from Bad Dog surfwear. "He wouldn't sit, he wouldn't stay, he wouldn't even beg. He is a bad dog."

What is your "Golden Boy"? - NuurAbSaal - 10-28-2004

kandrathe,Oct 28 2004, 11:19 PM Wrote:I have a nice thick cotton t-shirt in teal and black "Dive Belize", and then one I bought in Santa Barbara from Bad Dog surfwear.  "He wouldn't sit, he wouldn't stay, he wouldn't even beg.  He is a bad dog."
[right][snapback]58510[/snapback][/right]

Since you appearantly like diving/surfing (shirts) I have to tell you about a nice one I saw in Australia. It says on the front:

"I went down on the world's biggest living thing."

a lot of empty space before we get to:

"The Great Barrier Reef"

:lol:

Now, my mother does not speak a lot of English and asked me what was so funny about that shirt. I refused to explain :) .

Greetings

Nuur

What is your "Golden Boy"? - LochnarITB - 10-28-2004

DeeBye,Oct 27 2004, 11:54 PM Wrote:Does anyone else have their own Golden Boy?
Sort of - but it's not a shirt. It's a pair of black sweat pants. The waste elastic is just right - tight enough to not fall down without having to cinch up the draw string but not tight enough to leave a temporary deformity. The waste rides at just the right height without having the crotch down near my knees or so high that I have the male version of camel toe. The material is soft but not so soft that it clings and conforms to curves and parts better left to the imagination. It is the pair that I love to put on as soon as I get home and can strip off the "public" clothes. It is the pair that doesn't get placed in the clothes hamper until there is either a noticeable odor or several stains/blotches that the black can't hide. Were it possible to clone clothes with a given level of wear and tear, these would be my choice.

What is your "Golden Boy"? - Minionman - 10-28-2004

I have this olive green tee shirt with some orangish circles on the front, I can't remember what's in them. I like the shirt because it fits really well.

I also have long sleeved shirts I like, but can't remember them since it's not cold enough yet outside for them.

What is your "Golden Boy"? - ShadowHM - 10-29-2004

LochnarITB,Oct 28 2004, 06:44 PM Wrote:Were it possible to clone clothes with a given level of wear and tear, these would be my choice.
[right][snapback]58525[/snapback][/right]

One of the annoying things I have found about getting older and getting attached to certain garments is that when you finally realize what a treasure you have, you cannot replace them. Usually the brand name is no longer available or it comes in different colours/fabrics/cuts now.

I had a pair of sandals once that were fantastic. By the time they wore out, the manufacturer had moved on to different styles and materials. Roots still makes footwear; they just don't make those ones anymore.

I had a Viyella shirt once - 70% cotton / 30% wool that was styled like a Confederate officer's uniform shirt. It was soft and comfy right from the get-go. But when it wore out, it was not replaceable. The elbows went first, so it became a short sleeve shirt for a while. But eventually the whole thing disintegrated.

I could go on.....

Damn this ephemeral world we live in! Styles and cuts and fabrics just have too short a fashion life. <_<

What is your "Golden Boy"? - NiteFox - 10-29-2004

A plain brown T-shirt with a non-elasticated neckline and an interesting texture. True, the neckline is a tad to small for my bulbous head (It's the only shirt I have to take my glasses of to put on) but the goddamned thing has proven itself to be near-indestructable after enouncters with errant screwdrivers, knives, and the like.

It's the only shirt that looks scruffy be default, which suits me just fine. It never needs ironing since the material doesn't crease. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer, what more could you ask of a shirt?

What is your "Golden Boy"? - Urza-DSF - 10-29-2004

DeeBye,Oct 28 2004, 12:54 AM Wrote:In an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry talks about his favourite shirt.&nbsp; It's the one he wears first after doing all of his laundry.&nbsp; He calls it "Golden Boy".

Mine is a 12 year old Butthole Surfers t-shirt my wife bought me when we were just dating.&nbsp; I love this shirt, but it is looking a little worse for wear.&nbsp; It has three holes that are big enough to put my fist through, and countless other smaller holes.&nbsp; The collar and waist are all frayed.&nbsp; My wife won't let me wear it out in public, but I bomb around the house in it all the time.&nbsp; When I do a fresh load of laundry, my Butthole Surfers shirt is the first one I grab.&nbsp; I'm almost afraid to wash it now, because every time I do it gets another set of holes worn into it.&nbsp; I estimate it will vapourize within the next year.

edit: oh hey, I just noticed that this post goes along swimmingly with my custom title

For me it would be a plain black t-shirt with the NERV logo (Half of a maple leaf, NERV lettering, "God's in his heaven all's right with the world") in faded red lettering.

*wonders how many will know the origins of said t-shirt*

What is your "Golden Boy"? - Count Duckula - 10-30-2004

DeeBye,Oct 28 2004, 04:54 AM Wrote:Does anyone else have their own Golden Boy?

I have a pair of Golden Boys.

One is a t-shirt I've owned for about 7 years, and the other is a pair of jeans I've owned for 4. The shirt is a stonewashed grey cotton that's slowly coming apart at the seams, has various paint flecks and stains (the newest a cranberry juice stain on the shoulder), and missing its sleeves. It's gotten to the point where it must be worn with sports bra. :blink: The jeans are beginning to ravel at the leg cuffs, and there's a gaping hole over the left knee that's threatening to consume the entire leg.

Worn as a set on those days where I can't be bothered to be fancy. ^_^

What is your "Golden Boy"? - Taem - 10-30-2004

kandrathe,Oct 28 2004, 02:19 PM Wrote:I have a nice thick cotton t-shirt in teal and black "Dive Belize", and then one I bought in Santa Barbara from Bad Dog surfwear.  "He wouldn't sit, he wouldn't stay, he wouldn't even beg.  He is a bad dog."
[right][snapback]58510[/snapback][/right]

You mean “Big Dog”, that store right next to the beach? I know of the “Bad Dog” logos displayed on shirts usually sold at Sears or possibly Nordstrom’s, but Big Dog is the local T-shirt store in SB. I have a Big Dog sweater that’s a parody of South Park showing four ‘big dogs’ (black and white, 'Beethoven' type dogs) dressed like the four kids from the cartoon. It says, “South Bark” on it, but it’s hardly my ‘Golden Boy’.

EDIT: Glaring syntax error!

What is your "Golden Boy"? - Taem - 10-30-2004

DeeBye,Oct 27 2004, 09:54 PM Wrote:Does anyone else have their own Golden Boy?

I have a pair of plaid night pants I religiously wear to bed and around the house when I wake up. If their in the wash, I usually wear sweats, but the second their out, I put them on. When I can't wear those pants, I feel lost.

I also have some VERY comfortable T-shirts (that I can't live without) that I often wear around the house, but wouldn't be caught dead with in public. I got in the habit of wearing loose fitting, soft T-shirts whenever I got sun burnt (happens often when you live by the beach) and now, even though I hardly ever get burnt anymore (trying to avoid it and save myself from skin cancer), I've grown accustomed to my clothing (lounging) set-up.

What is your "Golden Boy"? - kandrathe - 10-30-2004

MEAT,Oct 30 2004, 05:48 AM Wrote:You mean “Big Dog”, that store right next to the beach?&nbsp; I know of the “Bad Dog” logos displayed on shirts usually sold at Sears or possibly Nordstrom’s, but Big Dog is the local T-shirt store in SB.&nbsp; I have a Big Dog sweater that’s a parody of South Park showing four ‘big dogs’ (black and white, 'Beethoven' type dogs) dressed like the four kids from the cartoon.&nbsp; It says, “South Bark” on it, but it’s hardly my ‘Golden Boy’.

EDIT: Glaring syntax error!
[right][snapback]58651[/snapback][/right]
Well, Big Dog is very popular. But, this was a small brand and I don't think it is Big Dog.

What is your "Golden Boy"? - kandrathe - 11-01-2004

I so envy you. My wife and I spent one summer vacation in 1983 while we were in college in and around Santa Barbara. We stayed with her folks who were out there running a magazine company. We were so poor, and trying to save our pennies. Most days we would go over to Goleta beach and split a large fries and a large diet coke and we ate alot of oranges.

Although, coming back to Minnesota I really did miss the moisture here. But, come the end of January I will be thinking of warm white sand beaches.