The Lurker Lounge Forums
The Google-giveaways. - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The Google-giveaways. (/thread-8048.html)

The Google-giveaways. - [wcip]Angel - 08-20-2004

I am currently kicking myself for not taking advantage of the offers made by some fellow Loungers a few months back when Google was handing out free e-mail addresses. I have decided to abandon my "eirik_jakobsen@hotmail.com" which I've kept for the last 6-7 years due to the 2MB storage capacity (and because a forum wouldn't let me register with a hotmail-account.)

I tried https://gmail.google.com/ to see if I could get an e-mail out of them, but I guess their freebie-offers are long gone.
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have a spare invite they couldn't find a person for?

If not, do you know of any other reliable, free, easy-to-use e-mail provider (other than hotmail.com)?

The Google-giveaways. - Tal - 08-20-2004

[ Wrote:Angel,Aug 20 2004, 10:40 AM] If not, do you know of any other reliable, free, easy-to-use e-mail provider (other than hotmail.com)?
Yahoo offers 100mb of space and improved spam blocking.

Do you Yahoo?

The Google-giveaways. - [wcip]Angel - 08-20-2004

Tal,Aug 20 2004, 03:46 PM Wrote:Do you Yahoo?
No. I'm more of a "yippi!"-kind of person..

----

Speaking of Yahoo, do I get some sort of E-mail programme, or do I have to use the virus-contraption known as "outlook"?

You can say what you want about hotmail (and there is plenty to say!), but it was always safe. I never contracted any viruses (viri?) If switching to Yahoo means having to install Outlook, then I'd just stick with the 2MB limit I have.

edit: I just caught a PM in my inbox. Thank you very much, young handsome stranger! :)

The Google-giveaways. - Obi2Kenobi - 08-21-2004

You don't have to use Outlook. It has it's own thing.

P.S. Get Thunderbird. (mozilla.org)

The Google-giveaways. - [wcip]Angel - 08-21-2004

Thanks for the tip, but a friendly soul offered me a gmail-subscription via PM. I now have a 1GB storage limit. (Weee!)

The Google-giveaways. - Munkay - 08-21-2004

Obi was pointing out that Thunderbird has its own mail client, like outlook... only much better. I almost feel dirty using Outlook and Thunderbird in the same sentence. :)

Cheers on the 1 gig. I love gmail.

Munk

The Google-giveaways. - Obi2Kenobi - 08-22-2004

No, I was pointing out that Yahoo! has it's own mail client, and Thunderbird is better than Outlook. :)

The Google-giveaways. - Dozer - 08-24-2004

I realize this is a little like groveling, but if anyone has a spare invite they would like to share, I'd appreciate it :D

The Google-giveaways. - Erigion - 08-27-2004

Gmail has been generous. I just sent out 6 invitations and now I find 6 more sitting in my inbox. So, first 6 people who reply to this post and get me their email addresses get invites. First come, first served.

Edit: Sent invites to Tyderian, Flaming June, Ghostiger, Urza. Gmail sent me 2 more invites so 4 invites still left.

The Google-giveaways. - Flaming June - 08-27-2004

Awesome. I'll send you a PM with the information right away. ^_^

The Google-giveaways. - Tyderian - 08-28-2004

I would appreciate an invite. Info in PM as well.

Thank you

[/lurk] :)

The Google-giveaways. - Urza-DSF - 08-28-2004

Heya, would definatly love a GMail Invite, PMing info now ^_^

Edit: Thanks much!

The Google-giveaways. - Rhydderch Hael - 08-28-2004

Is anyone even reading this thread here?

I don't even want the GMail prize, and I've aced the competition (namely because I'm the only one in the contest so far!).

The Google-giveaways. - Obi2Kenobi - 08-28-2004

Congratulations, Rhyd (or would you prefer Rhydd, or maybe Hael?)! No one has posted a better story than you.

/edit: Although that Gymkata...

The Google-giveaways. - Guest - 08-28-2004

nt