The Lurker Lounge Forums
Free bleach! - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Free bleach! (/thread-8772.html)

Pages: 1 2

Free bleach! - DeeBye - 05-02-2004

Who wants a free 96oz bottle of bleach?

Offer available in the US and Canada.

Free bleach! - Dozer - 05-02-2004

DeeBye, I love all this random free stuff you find... not sure what I am going to do with a huge bottle of bleach, but it's FREE! :D

Free bleach! - NiteFox - 05-02-2004

Dozer,May 2 2004, 08:03 PM Wrote:not sure what I am going to do with a huge bottle of bleach, but it's FREE! :D
Maybe choke that fat kid in your avatar? :)

Horjay for randomnessness.

Free bleach! - [wcip]Angel - 05-02-2004

NiteFox,May 2 2004, 08:08 PM Wrote:Maybe choke that fat kid in your avatar? :)

Horjay for randomnessness.
*klonk*

---------

Speaking of that avatar. It really upsets me. It's just so provocative, and not in pink-teddy-wearing blonde with pig tails-kind of way. grrrrrrrrr Where's the guy who makes the little cartoony gifs? I have his next project right here!

Free bleach! - Dozer - 05-02-2004

Quote:Speaking of that avatar. It really upsets me. It's just so provocative, and not in pink-teddy-wearing blonde with pig tails-kind of way. grrrrrrrrr Where's the guy who makes the little cartoony gifs? I have his next project right here!

:(

Free bleach! - degrak - 05-02-2004

One site that I've been visiting a while finds a bunch of similar deals, although most of them are related to computers:

http://www.slickdeals.net

Edit: Just checked slickdeals and noticed the Clorox offer there. :)

Free bleach! - [wcip]Angel - 05-02-2004

Dozer,May 2 2004, 10:40 PM Wrote::(
Hey, it's not a personal criticism of you :) It's just that I don't know how to deal with retarded people. (Or morbidly obese people for that matter.)

Free bleach! - LochnarITB - 05-02-2004

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
[ Wrote:Angel,May 2 2004, 11:25 PM]
Dozer,May 2 2004, 10:40 PM Wrote::(
Hey, it's not a personal criticism of you :)

So it's a personal criticism of them??!

Quote: It's just that I don't know how to deal with retarded people. (Or morbidly obese people for that matter.)

How to deal with them? Do you feel the need to punish them for the grief they inflict on your world? Do you feel the need to lock them away so that they don't pollute the beauty and serenity the rest of the world brings each day? Do you feel the need to restrict them to bread and water only, or no food at all, because surely they have no will power of their own and being in a different body would end the total drain and lack of contribution they make to the world?

There is so much wrong with your simple statement. The biggest thing it tells me is that you have not "been there done that". WOW!

Free bleach! - DeeBye - 05-03-2004

Gakerd,May 2 2004, 06:14 PM Wrote:One site that I've been visiting a while finds a bunch of similar deals, although most of them are related to computers:

http://www.slickdeals.net

Edit: Just checked slickdeals and noticed the Clorox offer there. :)
That's a great site. Here's another one, DealMeIn.net.

I am quivering in eager anticipation of receiving my coupon for FREE BLEACH. There are just so many bleach-related activities I have been putting off for far too long.

Free bleach! - [wcip]Angel - 05-03-2004

Dear Lochnar
I'm going to treat your reply as if it wasn't sarcastic. It might've been sarcastic and it might not've been. My detector is in the shop for maintenance, so I'll just have to assume.

---

It's not a criticism of anyone. I'm uneasy around all kinds of people, but especially those who are differently advantaged. I think it's called "paranoia". As for the avatar, the guy (I assume) seems to be having fun, but he looks dangerous. He's moving quite violently. I think it's his dance. It's disturbing. Perhaps it's the thought that if I ever got out on a dance floor, I would move like that. Of course, if the person in the picture is indeed Dozer, then I'm terribly sorry for my comment. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but rather to express my unease with that particular avatar.

Now if your reply was sarcastic, I'll blame this post on the lack of a sarcasm detector.

Free bleach! - Chief Fruity - 05-03-2004

That way, you have all your bases covered! :P

Free bleach! - Count Duckula - 05-03-2004

[ Wrote:Angel,May 2 2004, 11:57 PM] As for the avatar, the guy (I assume) seems to be having fun, but he looks dangerous. He's moving quite violently. I think it's his dance. It's disturbing. Perhaps it's the thought that if I ever got out on a dance floor, I would move like that. Of course, if the person in the picture is indeed Dozer, then I'm terribly sorry for my comment. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but rather to express my unease with that particular avatar.
I'm not a fan of Dozer's avatar either. It creeps me out. Then again, the same could be said for my own avatar. ^_^ (Dozer, isn't your avatar from the .avi where the fat kid's playing with action figure toys?)

Angel, I think your original statement can be taken many, MANY more ways than you meant it to be understood. Lochnar merely read it one way, and responded in kind.

Mmm, free bleach.

Free bleach! - WarLocke - 05-03-2004

[ Wrote:Angel,May 2 2004, 04:46 PM]grrrrrrrrr Where's the guy who makes the little cartoony gifs? I have his next project right here!
Oh, err... Hi?

Free bleach! - SwissMercenary - 05-03-2004

Well, at the very least, that kid is getting some excercise... :wacko:

Free bleach! - [wcip]Angel - 05-03-2004

WarLocke,May 3 2004, 06:57 AM Wrote:Oh, err...  Hi?
I thought that was you, but I checked your signature, and I didn't see your old pieces. Would it be difficult to make a teddy-wearing blonde with pigtails? :) Just a thought.

Quote:Angel, I think your original statement can be taken many, MANY more ways than you meant it to be understood. Lochnar merely read it one way, and responded in kind.

"Assume nothing, suspect everything."

I would be very thankful if, in the future, someone reads a post of mine and is horribly disgusted or offended, they ask me to clarify or to look at what I've written before going off in a tantrum :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Lochnar. There's not a shred of socio-darwinism in me.

Free bleach! - Rhydderch Hael - 05-03-2004

My Dad is grievously addicted to offers of free merchandise, and will not refuse anything that was offered as a free gift. Which means he has an assortment of horribly cheap appliances of dubious quality and questionable effectiveness.

My take on things is diametrically opposed: I'll opt for the pricey option on the grace that, in the long run, it'll be more cost-effective. My dad's attracted to the lowest price tag, but I argue that such items are the most expensive, since you'll have to factor in the cost of that cheap item, and then add in the price of a more expensive (more effective and relaible, too) competitor's item six months down the line after that cheapest item craps out on you.

Free bleach! - Dozer - 05-03-2004

No idea what the original source was; I pulled it from someone who pulled it from someone who pulled it from someone....... (The story of the internet, eh?)

Free bleach! - LochnarITB - 05-03-2004

[ Wrote:Angel,May 3 2004, 10:30 AM]I would be very thankful if, in the future, someone reads a post of mine and is horribly disgusted or offended, they ask me to clarify or to look at what I've written before going off in a tantrum :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Lochnar. There's not a shred of socio-darwinism in me.
Please don't dismiss this as simply a tantrum. I do apologize for the reply being directed at you. The reply is actually directed at the feeling that is still prevelant in society today. That you made the reply without feeling it might offend anyone is an indicator of that societal belief. To have addressed it to you privately would not have opened the possibility of discussion. Now I will go into one of my usual long winded rambling explanations of where I am coming from and why it is something to which I would react.

The real thing about the message that struck me was the, probably unintended, phrasing "deal with". I give you the definition of deal, from Merriam-Webster OnLine, that I think applies:

Quote:Main Entry: 2deal
Function: verb
intransitive senses
4 a : to take action with regard to someone or something <deal with an offender> b : to reach or try to reach a state of acceptance or reconcilement <trying to deal with her son's death>

Even assuming the second definition, to paraphrase your statement would be to say "I don't know how to accept retarded people. (Or morbidly obese people for that matter.)"

Two categories of people were indicated in your message. The first was retarded people. Although some here might disagree, I don't fit in that category. I have had family members who have struggled with mental health issues, but not retardation. I have, however, met many fine people who did happen to be mentally challenged. They tended to be much more accepting and understanding of others than is the majority of society. They also tended to strive to do their absolute best at what they were allowed to do. They also tended to be institutionalized because family could not "deal" with them. BTW, where in that avatar is the sign that says "I am retarded"? You made an assumption based on look and actions only.

The other category is the morbidly obese. As has been discussed (or at least intimated) here before, I do fit this category as do many of my family. I have lived this way my entire life. At 3 days old, my mother could not comfort me and the doctor suggested she start feeding me cereal. Food has been my comfort and companion since. Food is as much of an addiction as would be alchohol or any other drug. The difference is that food can't be dealt with through abstinence as can alchohol or any other drug of choice. Any experiments at completely removing food consumption tends to shorten the life of the test subject considerably. Food must be moderated. Imagine telling an alchoholic that he must consume 2 whiskey shots 3 times a day, no more, no less. That would not work but yet it must work with food addiction.

As to the earlier definition, I have had many incidents of people dealing with me using the former - take action with regard to. I have had words and objects thrown at me from moving vehicles. I have been attacked. Walking into a room or through the mall draws stares and pointed fingers and titters. Trying to do otherwise normal things such as fit into a car, stadium or airplane seat comfortably can be difficult or impossible. Finding clothing that shows any sense of class or self and still fits well is expensive, if even possible. It is a difficult way to live but I try to make the best of it I can.

The timing of your message was also unfortunate. Although it has been very difficult and the odds are extremely against me maintaining it, I have lost 116 pounds over the past year. It has taken extreme effort. I have to constantly consider the nutritional needs of my body and ignore the emotional desires when choosing what to eat. I have to take the time to make sure I am getting good fuel for my body. I can't just take a pass through the drive-thru to grab a couple thousand calories like it is so easy to do these days. Although I still have a long way to go, I am to the point where it is necessary to start dealing with some of the ravages my weight has performed on my body. As I sit here, I am on oxycontin pain killer and I have a couple hundred staples and 2 wound drains in my body as the aftermath of 4 days in the hospital last week for an operation to make corrections to my changing body. There will be more of this in my future too.

If you have read this , thank you for listening. I hope I have not come across as someone who simply has a chip on my shoulder. I have lived this my entire life. I have not felt accepted for the person inside by any but those very close to me. As our society gets larger and larger, perhaps people will become more accepting as "they" become "us". I can only hope and advocate for it to happen.

Free bleach! - --Pete - 05-03-2004

Oh, wait, no. That's free speach.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

--Pete

Free bleach! - Vandiablo - 05-04-2004

Thanks for the enlightenment, Lochnar. Congrats on a job well done on what you've lost so far. Watch out for that oxycontin. (It can turn even the most sanctimonious self-righteous into lying addicts and then on to lying hypocrites.)

What makes me uncomfortable with the avatar was the feeling that whoever made it did so with the idea that the image of an obese kid bouncing on a couch(?) was funny - that is, "funny" in a "look at this dizzzGUSTing spectacle, haha" way. THAT is why I was uncomfortable with it. But if I knew that it was a real "this is me" or "this is my wonderful kid" I wouldn't feel that way.

-V