The Lurker Lounge Forums
Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? (/thread-9433.html)

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - WarLocke - 01-22-2004

I was in Wal-Mart a few days ago (pricing DVD players, woot!) and noticed a few Beyond Good & Evil boxes on the PC shelf. The game's only been out a few months, and it's already marked down to $19.99. :(

I've heard nothing but good about this game from reviews and different discussions of it I've come across in the net. But, I figured I'd ask if anyone has played it here before I purchase it, since Wal-Mart has a "no returns of opened software" policy.

For those who may now know about it, BG&E is a very Zelda-ish adventure/platformer, with several other game-types (stealth, piloting/racing, photography) that are supposedly very well interwoven into it. The art quality is also amazing, and it's supposed to have very nice voice-acting.

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - Chaerophon - 01-22-2004

I've seen Wagner's house!

Seriously, who the hell was brazen enough to name their game 'Beyond Good and Evil'?

Sorry WarLocke, never played it...

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - Artega - 01-22-2004

I bought it for the GameCube, and promptly pawned it off (along with Gladius) to the local GameStop for Need For Speed: Underground.

It's just another Zelda, except that it's not innovative or fun like The Wind Waker. Combat is excessively repetitive and boring, and the game is made ridiculously easy due to a waypoint system (e.g., if you die at any point, you respawn at the entrance of the room you just entered.) Personally, I'd save your $20 and get something else with it.

Quote:It's just another Zelda, except that it's not innovative or fun like The Wind Waker.

That's just it, though. I don't own a console, and the last Zelda I played was A Link to the Past.

Did you find BG&E just a bad game, or are your complaints more that it's a Zelda derivative? If the latter, I may pick it up (noticed that my game library consists of ~65% RPGs and ~30% RTS/strategy/tactics games; I need some good old-fashioned platforming/adventure time B) ).

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - Cryptic - 01-22-2004

BG&E is a solid game if you don't demand that it exceed its borderline action-RPG genre. Despite the innovative bits woven into the gameplay, it's a standard adventure game. It honestly reminded of Jak & Daxter II, with a more likable protagonist and less to do, than a hardcore Zelda-ish game. I would say it's worth $20, but its competition on both sides (Knights of the Old Republic for RPGs, Prince of Persia for action-adventure) are superior.

I think I'll go ahead and pick it up. I'd hate to decide to buy it later and then find out that it's no longer being sold (a $20 pricetag this soon after release doesn't bode well for additional printing runs or a sequel)...

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - Roland - 01-22-2004

...do two things:
1) Pick up Prince of Persia.
2) Tell me how both are. ;) Especially Beyond Good & Evil,. I've been eyeing it, but held off for now. Didn't appeal, yet.

BTW - PA had this to say about Prince of Persia:
"It looks and plays brilliantly. It has a good story that ends extremely well. The combat is siphoned directly from adolescent ninja fantasies. #$%&, it's even funny. How they managed to capture the spirit of classic platformers - not just the original Princes, but the entire play concept - is simply beyond me. More games should be this good, we should demand it of developers and they should demand it from themselves."

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - Walkiry - 01-23-2004

Roland,Jan 23 2004, 12:43 AM Wrote:...do two things:
1) Pick up Prince of Persia.
2) Tell me how both are. ;) Especially Beyond Good & Evil,. I've been eyeing it, but held off for now. Didn't appeal, yet.
I've said it in this forum already, but I'll just say it again. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time almost made me cry of joy when playing it. The main reason was not that it has a high number of excellent qualities, but also that I played the original back in the day, and when playing the newest one I just kept thinking "This is IT, this is the perfect modern sequel of a classic!".

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - WarLocke - 01-23-2004

Quote:1) Pick up Prince of Persia.

Unfortunately, PoP is still priced at $49 at Wal-Mart, and likely EB as well. I don't have quite enough expendable cash to afford it right now. :(

Quote:Especially Beyond Good & Evil,. I've been eyeing it, but held off for now. Didn't appeal, yet.

Well, you're in luck. I just got home with it, so I'll post impressions later. B)

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - Drasca - 01-24-2004

My Windows copy of Escape Velocity Nova is now registered. Originally, Ambrosia wanted people to "upgrade" their Mac Liscence codes to Windows---I think. That didn't appeal to me. Yesterday, I looked at the purchase forms and there was no difference for Windows/Mac codes!!! Plus, an option to email lost codes! Woohoo!

Btw: Just what do your plug-ins do Warlocke?

I see the names, but I don't understand.

<I>Edit: Ok I now see I've posted in the wrong thread. Ahhh!!!!! </i> Ahem.

Well, its still news to any current or former Mac users with a registered Macintosh EV Nova... but now have a PC.

Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about? - WarLocke - 01-24-2004

Heh.

SecondaryCPL just turns the Polaris Capacitor Pulse Laser into a secondary weapon. Normally it's not worth putting other primary weapons other than CPLs on a ship because you have to fire all your primaries together - and CPLs gobble fuel like Anna Nicole at a buffet.

MissileRacks simulates rack reloading - the way missiles work by default, ships can fire a continuous spray, which didn't seem too realistic to me. I changed things around so that after you fired 1, 2, or 4 missiles (depending on type) you have to wait for the racks to 'reload' before you can fire again. I tweaked some missile damages to make up for the slower firing rate, too. There's a readme in the zip that has more detailed information.