The Lurker Lounge Forums
I hate being broke. - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: I hate being broke. (/thread-9723.html)

Pages: 1 2

I hate being broke. - WarLocke - 12-04-2003

I have ~$50.

I could theoretically afford Knights of the Old Republic or Deus Ex: Invisible War, if I could run them.

My processor is 200mhz below KoTOR's minimum requirement.

My GF2 MX doesn't support pixel shaders, which DX2 uses.

The solution is simple: I need to upgrade my system or (preferably) buy a whole new one.

Unfortunately, $50 won't cover that.

I wish I could spare the time for a job. :(

So, now that I have that whining out of the way ( :P ), does anyone have suggestions for PC games that'll run on a 1ghz AMD with a GeForce2 MX 400 and 256mb SDRAM? Isn't Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City out in a double-pack for the PC? How are those?

I hate being broke. - [wcip]Angel - 12-04-2003

I love the mechwarrior-series. I doubt those games require much in terms of processing power.

But.. you really should upgrade. Can't you beg someone for money? Parents, grandparents, girlfriend/boyfriend?

How about selling something you own, like a bicycle, VHS, DVD-machine or something.

I hate being broke. - Sir_Die_alot - 12-04-2003

4 words: "21 days until Christmas" :lol: :lol:

Unless you happen to be terribly unlucky and don't celebrate it or something similar. :(

I hate being broke. - WarLocke - 12-04-2003

Quote:I love the mechwarrior-series. I doubt those games require much in terms of processing power.

I have MW2: Mercenaries (DOS version, getting it to run in XP is a pain), MW4/Black Knight, MW4: Mercenaries, MechCommander, and MC2. I likes me some BattleTech action. B)

I suppose I could reinstall one of them (never could kill that colonel's Mad Cat MkII in Black Knight), but I've basically burned myself out on most of them (especially MW4 Mercs, I love that game).

Quote:But.. you really should upgrade. Can't you beg someone for money? Parents, grandparents, girlfriend/boyfriend?

No girlfriend, but that's a whine post for another time. :angry:

I live with my grandfather, who gets pension (?) checks from the VA, so we don't have a ton of extra cash locally. And my father just got out of the hospital (he needed a kidney operation, then developed blood clots in his lungs somehow), so I can't really ask for money from that quarter.

Quote:How about selling something you own, like a bicycle, VHS, DVD-machine or something.

I actually tried that when my cousin had her garage/yard sale (she's moving, trying to get rid of all her junk). Unfortunately, not many people in this town seem interested in old PC games or paperbacks. <_<

I've considered EBay, but I don't think I really own anything that would fetch a good price there.

Quote:Unless you happen to be terribly unlucky and don't celebrate it or something similar.

Oh, we celebrate Christmas, but I'm the oldest child in the family, so I was weaned off the "Yay now we get stuffs!" mindset early. I usually don't mind it, but sometimes it's annoying. <_<

I hate being broke. - [wcip]Angel - 12-04-2003

It's difficult for me to put myself in your position.

What kind of Internet connection do you have? You don't have to "buy" every game you want. (I'm not a big advocate of piracy. If you have the money, you should give it to the people who make great games, but I feel for those who can't afford them.)

If I were you, I'd save up for a decent upgrade.

If you're desperate for a cheap game, check the bargain-section over at www.play.com . The shipping is free.

I hate being broke. - WarLocke - 12-05-2003

Quote:What kind of Internet connection do you have? You don't have to "buy" every game you want. (I'm not a big advocate of piracy. If you have the money, you should give it to the people who make great games, but I feel for those who can't afford them.)

I'm stuck in 56k Hell. If I had spending money at all I'd try Charter Digital Cable, since they're advertising a free month and (IIRC) free installation now... But I'd still need to buy/lease the modem and I'd bet there's a clause saying I'd have to sign up for however long or something.

And yeah, I know of some pirating sites, and with the way the industry is going recently, I've considered it. But however much I'd like to stick it to the Evil Corporate Aztechnology Empires, I just can't get over that hump that keeps me from shafting the hard-working coders and artists who love their jobs.

Quote:If I were you, I'd save up for a decent upgrade.

Yeah, I've been trying to. But it seems like every time I get a nest egg going, something comes up and poof!

Crap. There's a little independent computer shop about four blocks from my house, and I had a flyer with their different "basic setups", but I seem to have lost it. I remember the owner saying he was always revising his setups to use new hardware (probably not bleeding-edge, but nice stuff, anyway), and that the top-end model was about $2,000 for a 3ghz P4, with 768mb RAM and a GF4. Plus a DVD/CD-RW, 250gb HD, peripherals and such. I don't remember whether they came packaged with monitors (which would be nice because mine is kind of old). The basic model was about $700 I think. That was a few months ago though, so I don't know if anything's changed since then.

That's not exactly cheap (I could probably get a Dell or something better than my current one for $500, but I have this pathological fear of big pre-fab computer companies), but he also offers a 3-year warranty, with free tech support and part replacement for the first year, which seemed awful nice to me.

I hate being broke. - Mithrandir - 12-05-2003

Hordes of the Underdark - second NWN expansion - just came out a couple days ago. Epic levels, new Prestige classes, continuation off Shadows of Undrentide's story, etc. Supposedly it has a MUCH better story than SOU/OC and the scripting at later stages in the game gets pretty crazy. It's receiving lots of rave reviews so it might be worth picking up.

Then again, I have yet to even get out of the OC (just got around to installing NWN a couple weeks ago after originally buying it in the first week it came out :blink: ) so can't really provide first-hand experience. However, the prospect of a Sor 20/RDD 10/PM 10 makes me go "woah" just for the sheer neat-o factor. My poor Fighter/Bard can't even hold a candle to the utter weirdness that a spell-flinging elf with wings and an undead arm would provide :)

I hate being broke. - Nystul - 12-05-2003

I've been there, and probably will be again in a year or so. My suggestion would be to either rediscover some of your old games, or search the bargain bins/used bins for good games that you passed up when they were released. Personally, I'd probably haul out some of the roguelikes (Angband, Nethack, ADOM) and appreciate how much overkill that GF2 is :)

And then there's always Diablo...

I hate being broke. - kandrathe - 12-05-2003

Quote:Crap. There's a little independent computer shop about four blocks from my house, and I had a flyer with their different "basic setups", but I seem to have lost it. I remember the owner saying he was always revising his setups to use new hardware (probably not bleeding-edge, but nice stuff, anyway), and that the top-end model was about $2,000 for a 3ghz P4, with 768mb RAM and a GF4. Plus a DVD/CD-RW, 250gb HD, peripherals and such. I don't remember whether they came packaged with monitors (which would be nice because mine is kind of old). The basic model was about $700 I think. That was a few months ago though, so I don't know if anything's changed since then.

That's not exactly cheap (I could probably get a Dell or something better than my current one for $500, but I have this pathological fear of big pre-fab computer companies), but he also offers a 3-year warranty, with free tech support and part replacement for the first year, which seemed awful nice to me.

I would buy local. I like having a corner grocery store, and a gas station within a few blocks of my house, so I try to always buy local. I came to that realization after our local gas station went out of business for a while, so now I try only to buy my gas there. So, anyway the guy seems to be trying to be competitive and offer great service. Just my two cents.

When I was in college I was always short on cash. I was always looking around for ways to make a little green. I ended up making the most money doing short odd jobs for people. I would just explain my situation and ask them if they needed anything done. I ended up doing everything from fixing peoples cars to, cleaning, and lawn work, to programming small apps or setting up databases, to reroofing a garage. People are usually pretty eager to give you a break when you are forthright and hard working.

Quote:If you're desperate for a cheap game, check the bargain-section over at www.play.com . The shipping is free.

It's not so much that I need cheap games, but that I'm lamenting that I can't run the particular games I want to (which do happen to be the new, expensive ones, so anyway...).

I've budgeted myself $50 or so to buy myself a Christmas present, and I figured a new game would get me the most "bang for the buck." It's just that my two first choices are not possibilities at all. :(

And thanks for the HoU reccomendation, Mith. I had forgotten that was out already. But I still haven't bought Shadows of Undrentide, so I guess I would need that first. :P

Hrmm, reading over my posts in this thread, they seem kind of whiny (whiney?). I don't know what's up with me tonight; I hadn't intended them to come across that way. :angry:

I hate being broke. - Count Duckula - 12-05-2003

WarLocke,Dec 4 2003, 11:33 PM Wrote:I actually tried that when my cousin had her garage/yard sale (she's moving, trying to get rid of all her junk).&nbsp; Unfortunately, not many people in this town seem interested in old PC games or paperbacks.&nbsp; <_<

I've considered EBay, but I don't think I really own anything that would fetch a good price there.
Dude! Did you say old PC games and paperback books? :o

If your games are current (well, current enough to run on Win95) try taking them to a GameStop, or Electronics Boutique, or a similar place. If you still have the books around, try posting titles. I'm on the lookout for several. (I have a list of 80+ titles.) Or post them at Amazon. Or take them to a used book store, get in-store credit, and look for out-of-print stuff. :D

Quote: Dude! Did you say old PC games and paperback books?

Yeah, I have (counts) 57 games (if you count the Ultima Collection as "one game") ranging from Syndicate Wars and Thunderscape to Starfleet Command III and Freelancer. Plus a half-dozen expansion packs and miscellaneous stuff.

Unfortunately, a couple years ago I had a brain fart and decided to dispose of the boxes (still the big huge empty boxes back then) to make storage easier. I only kept the jewel cases, manuals, and any errata sheets. I doubt I could trade them in now.

Some of the newer games (Morrowind, SFC 3, Freelancer) I still have boxed, so I could trade those in, but I always figured if the chain stores were going with a "no return" policy due to pirating, then they surely won't take old games for trade/credit...?

As for books, I could dig out the boxes, but it'd take forever. I have at least 300 paperbacks, mostly sci-fi or fantasy. I have very nearly every BattleTech novel published, as well as many Shadowrun and AD&D books (hey, the AD&D stuff was a phase, I swear!). I also have alot of hard sf, James P. Hogan books, Heinlein, Asimov, etc. Also some Philip Jose Farmer, Orson Scot Card, and Piers Anthony. It might be easier for you to post your list, and I could see if I have anything you want. :P

I hate being broke. - Brimstone - 12-05-2003

For credit from games, find the closest EBGames outlet, they'll take pretty much anything back.

Here's a link to check out - looks like integrated video tho <_< :

https://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...1&dualCurrId=73

Holy crap - that machine is better than my rig in every way except RAM and the video card, and costs half of what I paid for mine. :(

In other news, there's a "Will KoTOR run on my machine?" thread on the Official Forum (PC), where some people are claiming to run it with 800mhz processors. So, if the shop in the mall (which I think is an EB) allows returns, I may just give it a try.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm confused. The minimum requirements from the KoTOR website:

Intel PIII 1 GHz or AMD Athlon 1 GHz processor
256 MB RAM
4.0 GB HD Space
4X CD ROM or CD/DVD ROM Drive
32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required

My specs:

1ghz AMD
256mb RAM
My 20gb HD is kinda crammed but I can find 4gb
Can't find my CD-ROM specs but definitely more than 4X
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64mb

Now, I could have sworn the listed requirement on the box I got a look at last time I was in the mall was a 1.2ghz processor. This is confusing me; if the website is correct I should be able to run the game, even if I have to turn down some settings, no problem.

I hate being broke. - Walkiry - 12-05-2003

One word: Nethack.

http://www.nethack.org

I hate being broke. - kandrathe - 12-05-2003

That $400 IBM box has a 2.2 Ghz Celeron ... which means a $50 1.6 Ghz AMD Athlon XP 1900+ would outperform it. To me, Celeron = brain damaged CPU.

What is your MOBO, and is it Socket A? Could you upgrade your CPU? Can you pump the RAM to 512 or 1GB? With experience with XP is that 256 won't cut it anymore.

Quote:NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64mb

I have that card in one of my machines. I am ready to change, but to what, I ask myself? I too am Scrooge McFrugal when it comes to shelling out $$$ for hardware. Most of my machines I get gratis for doing software projects for folks. It just irks me to see the $2000 I paid for a system 6 months ago now on sale for $399.

The video card you have is not that bad for the ~$50 category. Further video performance would require more $$$.

AnandTech - Budget PC shootout

I hate being broke. - roguebanshee - 12-05-2003

and get yourself Worms 3D.

Need to import it if you live outside Europe or Australia though.

I hate being broke. - Brimstone - 12-05-2003

kandrathe,Dec 5 2003, 01:22 PM Wrote:That $400 IBM box has a 2.2 Ghz Celeron ...&nbsp; which means a $50 1.6 Ghz AMD Athlon XP 1900+ would outperform it.&nbsp; To me, Celeron = brain damaged CPU.
:D I never said it was top o' the line - just cheap. B) Ya get what ya pay for.

I hate being broke. - kandrathe - 12-06-2003

Sorry, I did not intend it to be a slam on you. I just think marketing Celeron as "2+ Ghz" is wrong. It's like trying to sell a car by saying it's a powerful V8, but when examined you find it only has 150 Hp engine.

If they came clean and said, it's a 2.2 Ghz processor with a really tiny L2 cache that works about 55% of the time, so it really benchmarks like a 1.4 Ghz P4. Well, then buyer beware. But most computer illiterati ( the fodder of the "For Dummies" series ) have really no idea what all the numbers mean. For joe average consumer, if there current machine is a 1.2 Ghz P4, then a 2.2 Ghz machine should be at least 2x faster.

Things that make me want to scream:

My Mom: Can you look at my computer, its running really slow lately.
Me: Sure. Oh, I see. You have about 3GB of system tray and service apps running in about 512MB of Ram.
My Mom: Is that a lot?
Me: Do you really need "The Magic Talking Moose" screen bling thing running all the time?
My Mom: How can I be out of memory, I thought I had 80 GB of space, not 512 MB.
Me: Maybe I should just back up your data, drop your partitions, and reinstall your operating system.
My Mom: Ok, I just need it for e-mail and the internet. And the talking Moose?
Me: Gone. You can live without it, ok?

I hate being broke. - Brimstone - 12-08-2003

kandrathe,Dec 6 2003, 01:13 PM Wrote:Sorry, I did not intend it to be a slam on you.&nbsp; I just think marketing Celeron as "2+ Ghz" is wrong.&nbsp; It's like trying to sell a car by saying it's a powerful V8, but when examined you find it only has 150 Hp engine.
Oh, no offense taken! I agree completely, but hey, at some point an upgrade is an upgrade.

Quote:Things that make me want to scream: My Mom: Can you look at my computer, its running really slow lately. Me: Sure. Oh, I see. You have about 3GB of system tray and service apps running in about 512MB of Ram. My Mom: Is that a lot? Me: Do you really need "The Magic Talking Moose" screen bling thing running all the time? My Mom: How can I be out of memory, I thought I had 80 GB of space, not 512 MB. Me: Maybe I should just back up your data, drop your partitions, and reinstall your operating system. My Mom: Ok, I just need it for e-mail and the internet. And the talking Moose? Me: Gone. You can live without it, ok?

:D Sounds vaguely familiar. Especially the part about the talking moose/Bonzibuddy/weatherbug/etc.