Best items you've found in strange places?
I'm curious what fine treasures you've discovered from unexpected sources. Basically from anything but monsters or the shops in town. Over your years playing Diablo, what were the best finds you can remember?

I still remember two unexpected treasure finds distinctly after all these years.

The first was about 6 months after I first started playing Diablo, I entered the first floor of Hell with a Warrior to find a bunch of barrels adjacent to the stairs I had just descended. Busted them open and found a magic Long Sword, and on a whim I decided to go ask Cain what it was since I was so close. It turned out to be a King's Long Sword of Blood - roughly 97% to hit and 171%, though it's been so long the numbers are likely off somewhat. But I remember them being nearly as high as possible. Add the 5% life steal and it was an amazing find from a barrel for an early 20's Warrior. Big Grin

The second was about three years ago. I was playing with a friend when a unique Long Battle Bow dropped off a Decapitated Body in Hell. I recognized it by its look and Indestructible property without needing to ID it; the Eaglehorn. This made my Rogue friend very happy because they had a clumsy habit of breaking bows - I think they'd gone through about 3 of them up to that point. Haha. Needless to say this bow persevered.

I'm sure someone out there has hit better jackpots than I, though.
I have found many nice things in this category, but I am unable to remember what they were. I do recall years back having a habit of finding nice rings or amulets from chests, one of them being a jade ring of the heavens 27/14.

The strangest thing I have seen was 3 plate armours coming from a large chest, two of which were magical. Haven't seen it replicated since.
I don't think you can find a King's prefix from a barrel on level 13. King's being qlvl 28.

(12-12-2013, 02:44 AM)Belix Wrote: The first was about 6 months after I first started playing Diablo, I entered the first floor of Hell with a Warrior to find a bunch of barrels adjacent to the stairs I had just descended. Busted them open and found a magic Long Sword, and on a whim I decided to go ask Cain what it was since I was so close. It turned out to be a King's Long Sword of Blood - roughly 97% to hit and 171%, though it's been so long the numbers are likely off somewhat. But I remember them being nearly as high as possible. Add the 5% life steal and it was an amazing find from a barrel for an early 20's Warrior. Big Grin
If that's true, then it must of been a deeper floor and I cast Town Portal instead of taking the stairs back to town. But it was definitely adjacent to the stairs I came down on, whether those stairs were from town or not. Been a long time, I'm surprised I even remember finding it now. Smile
Ive run into a few glitches on both the PC and the PSX version of Diablo, especially in singleplayer regarding the Lachdanan quest where I will go down to grab the golden Elixer, and instead I find an exact, identified copy of my shield lying on the ground somewhere in the dungeon instead, except that it has 0/0 durability. If you equip the shield, it is for all intents and purposes unbreakable, as whenever it is damaged, the durability just drops into negative values. If you save the game and then reload/start a new game, THEN you end up with a shield that has -255/0 durability or something like that. However, if you go to grizwold and try to repair items while you have the shield in your inventory, the game will just instantly crash. I remember there are some wonky glitches with the repair skill which also modify the durability of the item, such as resetting it to 0/0.

And because of this bug, I've ended up aquiring things like indestructable high AC tower / gothic shields with a dexterity suffix, which are pretty awesome. However, I've encountered this bug probably about 3 times within the last 10 years, and every single time it has always been a shield that is affected, and it ALWAYS has to do with the Lachdanan quest. But it is certainly a nice bug since it allows you to have a good powerful shield with limitless durability.

If it ever happens again, I'll screen cap it and put it up here. Maybe if I can, I'll even do Lachdanan runs to try to record a video of it. I found it to be quite amusing.
Quote:
I can see what you see not
Vision milky, then eyes rot
When you turn they will be gone
Whispering their hidden song
Then you see what cannot be
Shadows move where light should be
Out of darkness, out of mind
Cast down into the halls of the blind
for me it's drag/zod ammy 56/20 from a barrel in hell Big Grin

side note:weakwarrior is correct, you can only find ksob/h from the environment on 14/15

[From Jarulf's Guide]
for decapitated body, sarcophagus, on the ground, bookcase, skeleton tome, library book and racks ilvl = 2·dlvl
chest, barrel, pod, urn ilvl = 2·dlvl or dlv(the ones that only drop potions and scrolls)

rule for possible qlvl of items = [ilvl/2] to ilvl

kings qlvl 28
blood qlvl 19