Wonder Woman
Best. Superhero. Movie. Ever.

Go see it. The "No Man's Land" scene alone is worth the price of admission.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Will do... I hope my teen boys can enjoy it.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

This year is turning out to be a better one so far, as far as movies are concerned. Last year was abysmal.

The only complaint I had about Wonder Woman is that the first half of the film is a little slow at times; mainly due to the extensive backstory told. Other than that, its near flawless.

The Mummy comes out next weekend, trailer looks promising. Then the weekend after that, my most anticipated film in perhaps years, All Eyez on Me (I'm a massive 2Pac fan) finally hits the big screen. Huuuuuge hopes for this one.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
My only complaint is one part at the end...

[spoiler]It was pretty stupid for him to reveal the "real" god killer...[/spoiler]
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

At present, if Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, and Dafne Keen do not get best actor, best support actor, and best supporting actress nominations, something is horribly wrong with Hollywood's Oscar nomination process (not saying they will win, but they deserve to be nominated). Overall, the acting in Logan was Oscar calibre for all of the actors involved (especially Dafne, she's the next Natalie Portman/Dakato Fanning young actress).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(06-06-2017, 02:23 PM)Lissa Wrote: At present, if Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, and Dafne Keen do not get best actor, best support actor, and best supporting actress nominations, something is horribly wrong with Hollywood's Oscar nomination process (not saying they will win, but they deserve to be nominated). Overall, the acting in Logan was Oscar calibre for all of the actors involved (especially Dafne, she's the next Natalie Portman/Dakato Fanning young actress).
Or, how we pronounce it here in the plains... Dakota. Big Grin But, I have not seen Logan, yet.

(06-06-2017, 01:56 PM)kandrathe Wrote: My only complaint is one part at the end...

I thought it was pretty obvious who that was. I didn't like how the writers skipped the opportunity for her to realize she was subject to the same "war mentality of man", especially after she killed the general even though he turned out not to be Ares. That realization to her before fighting Ares I think would have added something to the movie and justified her joining the "outside world".
(06-05-2017, 09:18 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: The only complaint I had about Wonder Woman is that the first half of the film is a little slow at times; mainly due to the extensive backstory told

They needed to do a fully fleshed-out backstory. They can't really gloss over it and say, "Here's a powerful super hero that can fight gods" and plop her into the DC hero universe without telling the story. I personally liked the first half of the film very much.

What I really liked about the film was how they showed her getting stronger in every scene. At first, she was a child hoping to learn how to fight. At the end, she was strong enough to defeat a god. Every fight scene she was in showed her learning that she was a little more powerful than she thought she was.

I also liked Chris Pine in this movie. I thought he played his character perfectly.

(06-06-2017, 01:56 PM)kandrathe Wrote: [spoiler]It was pretty stupid for him to reveal the "real" god killer...[/spoiler]

It was also pretty stupid of him to use lightning as a weapon against the daughter of Zeus.

(06-05-2017, 09:02 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Will do... I hope my teen boys can enjoy it.
... I'm pretty sure they will be enthralled Heart
I must agree: "best superhero movie I've ever seen". Beautiful!
Smile to strangers Smile
I have not seen this movie yet but definitely going to do this soon!
Stay awhile and listen!
Just saw it. Decent, but tremendously overrated. Tries to emulate the 1st Captain America, and does not succeed.

That's not even counting the fact that the movie gives WW incredible powers that she never came close to in the comics. Way over the top in that aspect.

Oh and the best super hero movie I've seen at least in recent memory is Logan.
(07-18-2017, 06:51 PM)Ashock Wrote: That's not even counting the fact that the movie gives WW incredible powers that she never came close to in the comics.

You must be referring to Wonder Woman as she was originally written in the comics. Towards the late 80s and into the 90s her powers grew exponentially. When I was working as a researcher for DC in the early 2000s she was seen as one of the most powerful characters in the DC Universe. Hence why DC rolled out the Trinity storyline.
(07-19-2017, 07:28 PM)Tal Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 06:51 PM)Ashock Wrote: That's not even counting the fact that the movie gives WW incredible powers that she never came close to in the comics.

You must be referring to Wonder Woman as she was originally written in the comics. Towards the late 80s and into the 90s her powers grew exponentially. When I was working as a researcher for DC in the early 2000s she was seen as one of the most powerful characters in the DC Universe. Hence why DC rolled out the Trinity storyline.

Flight and telekinesis? Actually my son works part-time in my friend's comic book store and he is the one who told me about all the extra powers.
(07-19-2017, 08:47 PM)Ashock Wrote:

Flight and telekinesis? Actually my son works part-time in my friend's comic book store and he is the one who told me about all the extra powers.
She always had mind powers. I think she is actually a Greek gods empowered match for Superman.

(07-19-2017, 10:21 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(07-19-2017, 08:47 PM)Ashock Wrote:

She always had mind powers. I think she is actually a Greek gods empowered match for Superman.

If by always you mean really always, then nah. She started out with very basic powers and she was almost like Batman - lots of skills but very few real super powers (granted, Batman has none at all). These have been added to, throughout the years. However in this movie, they went totally overboard to try to make her comparable to Superman. Kind of reminds me of Star Wars Episode VII, although as a movie, this is much better than that POS.
I'm not a huge fanboy of the comic universe, but I remember her flying in the cartoon network justice league. So I'm pretty sure they had this aspect of her fleshed out long before the movie was scripted.
(07-19-2017, 10:47 PM)Ashock Wrote: If by always you mean really always, then nah. She started out with very basic powers and she was almost like Batman - lots of skills but very few real super powers (granted, Batman has none at all). These have been added to, throughout the years. However in this movie, they went totally overboard to try to make her comparable to Superman.

The original Wonder Woman actually had strength similar to Superman in the Golden Age link. She's always had Batman-like fighting prowess and intellect. As time went on and comic books evolved, she actually got even stronger.

Quote:While not completely invulnerable, she is highly resistant to great amounts of concussive force and extreme temperatures and matches Superman[105] in this regard.

Of course, this is all comic book nerd talk. Super heroes evolve and their powers change when they are "re-invented". This is just another re-invention. This particular Wonder Woman is Superman-like strong, and Batman-like smart. I'll allow it because it makes for good movies.
(07-20-2017, 04:18 AM)DeeBye Wrote: [Of course, this is all comic book nerd talk. Super heroes evolve and their powers change when they are "re-invented". This is just another re-invention. This particular Wonder Woman is Superman-like strong, and Batman-like smart. I'll allow it because it makes for good movies.

I wouldn't say Batman-like smart, more confident in her abilities though for sure. Both in the recent comics and in the movie she is impulsive in what she does (confidence), but she doesn't take the smartest action. Batman is a tactical and strategic genius and uses that to make any fight an unfair fight in his favor, Wonder Woman is confident in her abilities and training and enters the fight knowing she can over power an opponent.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(07-20-2017, 04:18 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(07-19-2017, 10:47 PM)Ashock Wrote: If by always you mean really always, then nah. She started out with very basic powers and she was almost like Batman - lots of skills but very few real super powers (granted, Batman has none at all). These have been added to, throughout the years. However in this movie, they went totally overboard to try to make her comparable to Superman.

The original Wonder Woman actually had strength similar to Superman in the Golden Age link. She's always had Batman-like fighting prowess and intellect. As time went on and comic books evolved, she actually got even stronger.

Quote:While not completely invulnerable, she is highly resistant to great amounts of concussive force and extreme temperatures and matches Superman[105] in this regard.

Of course, this is all comic book nerd talk. Super heroes evolve and their powers change when they are "re-invented". This is just another re-invention. This particular Wonder Woman is Superman-like strong, and Batman-like smart. I'll allow it because it makes for good movies.

Eh, it's kind of unnecessary to have all those powers for a movie to be good. I thought CapA 1 was excellent and he is hardly Superman. Same with Logan. OTOH, while I did like Man of Steel, it was not that amazing a movie. So I don't think this needs to be handled that way, but meh.
(07-20-2017, 01:04 PM)Lissa Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 04:18 AM)DeeBye Wrote: [Of course, this is all comic book nerd talk. Super heroes evolve and their powers change when they are "re-invented". This is just another re-invention. This particular Wonder Woman is Superman-like strong, and Batman-like smart. I'll allow it because it makes for good movies.

I wouldn't say Batman-like smart, more confident in her abilities though for sure. Both in the recent comics and in the movie she is impulsive in what she does (confidence), but she doesn't take the smartest action. Batman is a tactical and strategic genius and uses that to make any fight an unfair fight in his favor, Wonder Woman is confident in her abilities and training and enters the fight knowing she can over power an opponent.
Confident in that she martially trained with Amazon warriors daily until adulthood, when she then left the island. She should be better than Batman, or Superman in a scrap, not just due to her strength and doodads. She should be better trained in combat techniques.