Wheel of Time Series - Robert Jordan
I read the first book, The Eye of the World many years ago. I picked it up agian a month ago and finished it as well as the second book, The Great Hunt. I have noticed I became far more attached to the characters in this series than any other I have read. I also noticed that as I have aged in general, books are far easier to understand, follow, and visualize the landscape.

I highly recommend these books to my friends and family that are fantasy inclined.

Side note: Kobo Aura One is what I read on. It is the first ereader I have used. I am impressed with it. The lighting adjustments and big screen were the draw for me. I can also easily load epubs onto it. I use Calibre to organize my books on the PC.
I started reading the series when only the first two books were out, and I own and have read the first 11. I still haven't bought the last two books as I know I'll have to re-read the entire series again, and while I loved the first seven or eight books, I did start to tire of the characters and Jordan's writing style after that.

It's a great world with some awesome ideas, but the story could have been told a lot more concisely.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
I found it ironic that the the books I liked and hated most were of the 3 written by Sanderson. When I was unemployed I read the whole series begin to end including the prequel and it took me the better part of a month, but it was better than a Netflix binge. Big Grin
(01-08-2018, 12:39 PM)LennyLen Wrote: I started reading the series when only the first two books were out, and I own and have read the first 11. I still haven't bought the last two books as I know I'll have to re-read the entire series again, and while I loved the first seven or eight books, I did start to tire of the characters and Jordan's writing style after that.

It's a great world with some awesome ideas, but the story could have been told a lot more concisely.

After reading the first book I was afraid that I will grow tired of the characters at some point, knowing how many books there are. After reading the second book I am sure of it. I have not reached that point yet. I will read on.

Sir_Die_alot Wrote:I found it ironic that the the books I liked and hated most were of the 3 written by Sanderson.

When I was researching the series I decided not to invest in the books not written by Jordan. Whether they are good or bad, I just do not want to. I have no real reason. Perhaps by the end of my reading I will have the desire.
(01-10-2018, 03:48 PM)GhastMaster Wrote: When I was researching the series I decided not to invest in the books not written by Jordan. Whether they are good or bad, I just do not want to. I have no real reason. Perhaps by the end of my reading I will have the desire.
The ending was as Jordan intended. I think Sanderson did a good job finishing it. Jordan's widow was involved in choosing the author and I think she did a good job choosing one who wanted to finish the series as her husband intended, and not simply ride the series to increase name recognition. The only "corporate" aspect of those books was that there were 3 instead of the 1 the Jordan intended but they decided he left too much material for just 1 and once you read the books you get why it probably would have ended up that way had Jordan lived.