Do axemen have any chance?

>At a given time, against witches, a +resist magic maul (and another such spare equipment can be much better than a (weaker) sword with shield when you have 0 resists.

When I used that diamond 2 hander (and yes, I have used other 2 handers at that similar stage as well) it was definitely useful as you said, against witches. But I valued it mostly for the resists, and the damage as a nice secondary bonus. That weapon damage bonus becomes less as my character damage increases however.

>Shields work bad against ranged attackers and damage helps for stunning.

That depends on what you mean by ranged. Against physical ranged attacks like arrows, high AC can be a lot handier than blocking. Against magical\elemental ranged attack, blocking and AC doesn't really matter since by then it's about resistance. (Well there is spell blocking with zero resistance but that's a bit of a gamble.) And in the hell dungeons there is usually an overbundance of magical ranged attackers, and that's where a resist shield can come in real handy.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a 2 hander style, especially if you're having fun with it. Actually there's something really satisfying in seeing a Warrior landing a solid hit with an axe. But if we're talking strictly about efficiency in vanilla D1, then 2 handers is never high on the list. Thankfully this game is not always about efficiency. If this is what you like and comfortable with, then more power to ya.

Messages In This Thread
Do axemen have any chance? - by Ebon - 05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Hammerskjold - 05-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Nystul - 05-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Hureg - 05-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Heidi - 05-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Ebon - 05-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Hammerskjold - 05-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Thenryb - 05-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Hureg - 05-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Do axemen have any chance? - by Ace360 - 07-17-2006, 12:27 AM