Hard Drive Woes
Inevitably, the time comes when my hard drive decides to call it a day. I have had a 120GB IDE drive split into four partitions (10, 10, 50 and 50) since building this machine over a year ago, and wouldn't you know it the C: drive gets corrupted and I'm also having problems with the D: partition.

Well, deciding that since my motherboard (Asus ABit-AV8) has support for SATA drives that my next drive purchase should be such a drive - So I plumped for a 200GB Maxtor drive (the only brand my local computer shop carries), with plans to split it up into four partitions (50 gigs apiece) and use the first partition of that to boot from and the rest as normal. If I could salvage the 120GB drive... Oh, I'd probably reconsolidate the partitions and use it as a Linux drive to goof around with.

That, or a huge honking big swap drive.

So I plug the drive in, try to get the BIOS to acknowledge it aaaand... Nope. No luck. Risking it, I manage to reformat the C: partition on my old drive and get a workable Windows install on its legs, which is the only reason I'm here, frankly. Broadband set up, I manage to download Maxtor's MaxBlast software, make a bootable disk and CD, and use that to try and get the disk up and running. The CD works fine, was able to see my new drive, repartition and format, and even copy the C: drive off the old disk onto a partition on the new.

Reboot, no joy. Still boots off the old drive, and the new one still doesn't show up in the BIOS as a candidate for booting nor as logical drives in Windows.

I've downloaded a couple of drivers and updates for my motherboard, particulary a SATA RAID driver (Which, since the BIOS controller setup cheerfully tells me I need two SATA drives to set up a RAID controller, is likely to be a futile waste of bytes), I've stopped short from an absolute BIOS flash, as it's something I've never done before, though that might probably have to be my next step.

If anyone has any advice (Except for "return the drive") it would be thankfully received.

Edit: Okay, so the SATA RAID controller did allow the hard drive to appear in Windows. Go fig. Hopefully, I'll be able to boot of that shizzle by the end of the day.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386

Messages In This Thread
Hard Drive Woes - by NiteFox - 06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Hard Drive Woes - by NiteFox - 06-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Hard Drive Woes - by Roland - 06-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Hard Drive Woes - by Zippyy - 06-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Hard Drive Woes - by NiteFox - 06-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Hard Drive Woes - by Wyrm - 06-11-2006, 06:09 AM