New Lock needs help with Talents
I've played both affliction and demon at L60. Though I did more PvP than anything. I leveled to L59 as demon and did 59 to 60 as affliction just to see some of the differences.

With affliction your pet isn't that big a deal it can distract one mob while you are draining another or add some damage but it generally won't be tanking for you. For that reason I didn't put any points in demon. I put them destruction to get bane and at 61 I'll get shadowburn back. I did a fair bit of PvP with the 7 / 21 / 21 + 2 build so I learned to like shadowburn. Imp drain soul is a very nice soloing talent, but it's not very good in groups. And it's been bugged at times so that the damage had to come from drain soul to get the mana back. I do not know the current state because I had it at times where it was simply me or my pet that had to the damage. When it worked I'd end pretty much every fight with DS and just toss the shard if I didn't need it.

I can't do demonology without Fel Domination and Master summoner though. Being able to get a pet back in a .5 second cast if need be is huge. Improved voidwalker I think is very skippable as mentioned the felguard will be the pet of choice, unless you want the special ability of the other pets. You generally won't need the voidy shield and without fel dom + master summoner you don't really have the option of rapid voidy summon + sac to get the shield. Imp health funnel isn't as big of a deal either. It just means you might need to drain life a bit more than you had in the past. 2/3 mana feed worked out pretty well for most of the grinding I did (mostly in sillyfuss). Since it didn't take to long to resummon a pet, I would just sac em and (since it was usually the felguard getting a bit of mana back from the sac while I resummoned) resummon. No big deal, not to hard to get a soul shard to get a new pet. I'm a huge fan of imp life tap though (and not that imp life tap makes mana feed work better) but you can live without it. Demonic Aegis seems like a very good talent to get though. I genearally ended up with a few points in imp sucubus because I liked the longer seduce times, but again not needed.

I've only been full on destruction on the PTR and it just never felt right to me. But really I think you'll do fine with either build, I would just tweak the demon build as mentioned by several in this thread and I would consider not putting points in demon for the affliction, though that might depend on what you want to do going to L70. They are both very instance viable too. Me + pet was really about the same in 5 mans and UBRS as affliction or as demon. I did well in PvP with both of them too.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
New Lock needs help with Talents - by mistique - 01-23-2007, 01:06 AM
New Lock needs help with Talents - by redinter - 01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
New Lock needs help with Talents - by Bun-Bun - 01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
New Lock needs help with Talents - by bonemage - 01-23-2007, 04:12 PM
New Lock needs help with Talents - by Kevin - 01-23-2007, 04:38 PM
New Lock needs help with Talents - by swirly - 01-23-2007, 05:19 PM
New Lock needs help with Talents - by Kevin - 01-23-2007, 06:25 PM
New Lock needs help with Talents - by Lissa - 01-23-2007, 10:47 PM