Warrior tanking builds
I can depend on what you are tanking as well.

I'm running the following: 11/5/45

The reason? I mostly tank 5 mans. The extra threat and rage from crits is nice. Tactical mastery has just about no use while tanking (you lose 5 rage on the macro'd charge and hit def stance without it) you can still flop to zerker and intercept without it as well.

5 mans can still be "low rage" so anger management is nice. Especially since you can just wait for the rage to build to break a CC if you like. HS is still used in 5 mans so it's a much better filler to get AM than the other arms talents. Cruelty and AM are both very nice DPS boosts if you end up in the position of being DPS instead of tanking. And if you do a 5 man with a pally tank, which will happen, the total group damage is higher with you doing DPS and the pally tanking.

Imp shield wall also doesn't generally matter in a 5 man either. Same with 4% less spell damage you aren't getting hit by big spells that you can't reflect or just interrupt in a 5 man and you can generally afford to hold rage for spell reflect because the reflected spells tend to generate a fair bit of damage and aggro. Imp taunt is a huge help in PuGs with people that can't focus DPS. It might not let you hold the mob put it can save a healer for sure. But yeah it's still skipable. And I'll likely drop it and a few points in anticipation for imp bloodrage and more in imp defensive stance.

But I know that I'm not always going to tank with him. Cruelty and Anger Management are very like 50 DPS or so extra when I'm not tanking. That matters more than the very marginal upgrades I'll get from the prot talents I don't have. Tactical Mastery would help in a DPS roll a bit as well but I still look at it mostly as a PvP talent. It was a lot more valuable when you couldn't use thunderclap in defensive stance.

Imp shield bash would be nice for 5 mans as well to help position mobs, but I can live without it.

I value anticipation as well. It means I can spend the itemization that would have been used for that 48 defense rating on stamina or something else (like hit rating which is pretty big for TPS if you aren't at 5.6%). I got to do the Nagrand forge camp quest series twice in a row. The first time was to get it done for me, and I got the BP that has the 20 hit rating. That was my only gear change and my skill usage the next time through and group set up was the same and 20 hit rating was about 30 threat per second more in my gearing level. Over looking +hit in tanking gear as a warrior is a mistake in my book, especially in 5 mans where you are tanking several mobs at once many times. Don't give up too much mit for it but anticipation will allow you to make some gear choices that lets you either get some hit or get even more avoidance or stam.

Just my thoughts on it. Cruelty is a pretty decent increase in average TPS and the utility of AM is just too nice for me. It's skippable for sure but I find too much value in it for how I play.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
Warrior tanking builds - by Taelas - 09-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Warrior tanking builds - by Mavfin - 09-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Warrior tanking builds - by Kevin - 09-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Warrior tanking builds - by Artega - 09-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Warrior tanking builds - by Taelas - 09-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Warrior tanking builds - by Mavfin - 09-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Warrior tanking builds - by vor_lord - 09-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Warrior tanking builds - by Artega - 09-03-2007, 03:08 AM
Warrior tanking builds - by Sir_Die_alot - 09-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Warrior tanking builds - by Taelas - 09-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Warrior tanking builds - by Sir_Die_alot - 09-04-2007, 05:27 AM