Trying to play with my son online
Quote:Thanks Pete. Most of what [vl]Kp stated went completely over my head so I think I'll abandon the b.net idea. Here's my current problem with Kali however as posted on The Dark:
At first, we could both get on Kali with the same Kali account, however whenever my son tried joining my game, it gave me the port error. This is when I changed my port#, but then it gave me a NAT error and kept dropping one of us. So I bought another Kali account for my son's computer and set him up on a separate network... So, are you saying if I found a way to get rid of that NAT error, we (my son, his friend, and myself) could all be playing over my network with one Kali account? I'll have to look into this more.

Regarding B.net, on my computer I completely shut off my firewall, but my sons my have Windows Firewall up; do you think that might be an issue? I'll try disabling his Windows Firewall when he gets home from school and see if that works.

Do you think this Kali issue is the same issue as with b.net with running two versions of Diablo through with the same router? After reading everything vpkp stated, I still don't understand why my son and I can't play together on b.net anyhow! We're not even on the same network anymore... I shut off both of our firewalls, so why the latency? Grrr...

Please try to get my name right. vL is capitalized that way to make it unambiguous in fonts where l and I are difficult to distinguish.

You have not provided technical details about the problem, so it is difficult to diagnose what is going wrong. I will grant that my instructions are long, but if your router supports configuring port forwarding, they should work and provide the behavior you want. To begin, please follow the instructions provided in my post on the other thread with regard to editing the registry on the different systems. Then post the output of the netstat -an -p udp from each of the systems, as seen while they are all connected to battle.net. Also, please post the make and model of router that you are using.

Windows Firewall might be interfering, but I strongly recommend not disabling it for a system connected to a wireless access point, especially an unsecured one. That is just begging for someone to come and attack your system.

The latency error is slightly misleading in this case. That error message simply means that the peer did not respond appropriately within the allotted timeout. If the request is being routed to the wrong system, then the correct peer will never receive it and will never respond, so the request will be considered to have timed out.

I suspect that your router is acting as a NAT device and that it is not smart enough to get the routing correct on its own. When you attempt to join your son's game, battle.net sends you the public IP address of your Internet connection. Your instance of Diablo then sends a game join request to the public IP address + port of your son's connection. If the router is not smart enough to recognize that this is meant for his system, it will drop the packet or perhaps send it to some other host on your network. Either way, your son's system never receives it, so it does not respond.

Messages In This Thread
Trying to play with my son online - by Taem - 10-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Trying to play with my son online - by Taem - 10-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Trying to play with my son online - by --Pete - 10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Trying to play with my son online - by Taem - 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Trying to play with my son online - by [vL]Kp - 10-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Trying to play with my son online - by Taem - 10-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Trying to play with my son online - by Taem - 10-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Trying to play with my son online - by [vL]Kp - 10-07-2007, 06:10 AM