Consumers are too stupid to make good choices
Quote:That's not my point. I'm a nice guy and I love the planet too. But, is there a law that prevents me from being a jerk and burning needless gasoline? No, not that I know about. But, I am prevented from buying a gas guzzling Sherman Tank of an SUV that violates the Cafe standards. Not that I would, but it's more the principle of surrendered liberties I'm getting at. We have a nanny government that chooses to do the thinking for me by outlawing the choices they don't want me to make.

If you're burning that gas, then incorporated into the cost of that gas, probably through taxation, there should be an accounting for the environmental damage associated with it. Make the tax on the gas crippling enough, and nobody in their right mind will buy a gas guzzler unless they have a good reason, and even then, they have increased incentive to drive it less rather than more. That way, you don't have to ban anything, and you get a nice little revenue stream from anyone dumb enough to just burn perfectly usable fuel for no reason.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
Consumers are too stupid to make good choices - by Jester - 04-01-2008, 06:32 PM