Consumers are too stupid to make good choices
Quote:Yes, Jester is right. I'm actually a conservationist in practice. I love nature. I'm a primitive camper / backpacker. I make it a point to buy and plant about 50 to 200 trees every year just because it helps the environment. However, I love liberty as well (maybe more). Regulating energy efficiency in products (cars, light bulbs, refrigerators) is case where government has infringed on the market to decide for itself what makes sense. Congress is doing the thinking for us. Next thing you know we'll be watering the fields with gatorade, because its got the stuff plants crave.

Yes, well if the Government didn't intercede, then I doubt the media format would ever change (i.e. HDTV). Perhaps there are a few things "we" people need the government to take a stand for because as consumers, we really don't have a choice; we buy what the conglomerates want us too and whatever that is usually falls within the realms of "if the shoe fits, wear it," or better: if its cheap and sells, keep making it. There has been technology available now that will allow terebites of information to be transmitted over traditional phone lines using a broadband modem, but I can almost guarantee that unless the government steps in and regulates it, those with the power and knowledge will first sell the the commercial industry, who will then sell to us for a *premium* rate, if at all.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
Consumers are too stupid to make good choices - by Taem - 04-06-2008, 12:37 AM