Michael Phelps.... Deserving of the hype?
Quote:Obviously you don't swim.
I played most sports and I know what they are. What you are saying here is comparable to the 'windsurfing is the most physicallt demanding sport' remark.
Of course the different disciplines are different but you must agree that somebody that can do breast stroke can also do another stroke well. And when you have size 14 feet, relative short legs, enormously wide arm span...you will be able to do all swimming events.
Further say a basketballer, will be able to get 3 golds max. (if he plays in 3 different olympics) is he therefore a worse athlete? Or should we make 3 point contest also an olypmic sport? No of course not because we don't want to compare the different sports like this.
(this is also a reply to jester)
Every sport is different, swimming is a great sport (note my remark in the other thread about that swimming is one of the real sports) but you must agree that Bolt will never be able to get 8 medals in one olympic. The difference between 100m and 400 meter running is way bigger than 400 meter breaststroke relay and 100 meter breaststroke. Just looking at physical build of the athlete.

Golf is not olympic material period, what is next? Darts?

Emiel.

Messages In This Thread
Michael Phelps.... Deserving of the hype? - by eppie - 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM