Nice to see O'Bama working on getting rid of midnight Bush rules
Quote:Wrong. When you become an employee you agree to follow the rules and regulations of the business you are a part of. If that business says that you must do something that you find objectionable, you should either quit or recognize that you will be removed for someone that will perform what the business asks you to do.
It's not that simple. If you are asked to do something that is morally objectionable, you would have reason to challenge your unfair dismissal. That is, unless you work in a state such as mine where employers have the right to dismiss anyone, anytime without cause. This is similar to cases where Islamic food workers refuse to touch pork products, or ask to have a prayer room for religious reasons. If the employer understands and agrees to these things, then the employer and employee have an agreement. It might also be the case of the pharmacist, and if not then the employer and the employee have a disagreement which might result in the dismissal of the employee.
Quote:In this case the business had the materials to provide, but the pharmacist choose not to supply them even though they were obligated by the contract they signed when they joined the company to perform what the company tasked of them. Then to take it further and berate the victim and cause her additional mental trauma because the pharmacist in question found the use of the drug morally objectionable and almost caused the victim to commit suicide (and the only reason she didn't was due to the intervention of the friend that was with her) shows gross negligence on the part of the pharmacist. Rightfully the Pharmacy fired the pharmacist after the incident for not fulfilling his obligations as an employee.
I'll take your word for it. It sounds like, as does happen very often every day in many, many companies, an employee did the wrong thing and the employer had to take care of the mess.
Quote:I know some medical practitioners that would scoff at your comment. There are things that you cannot heal, but you can improve the patient's quality of life. The goal of medicine is treat the sick and injured and improve their quality of life, if that means healing then that is part of it, but if the person has a terminal disease of which there is no cure and no healing that can be done, but the patient can be made more comfortable, then that is goal the practitioner.
You are now substituting apples for oranges. If someone is terminally ill, sure, yes, a doctor can do what they can to help the person cope better with the time they have left. But, we are talking about casual sex, getting knocked up, and then freaking out about the responsibility, commitment and expense of having a child. This is a different type of "quality of life", the kind where you can act irresponsibly and take care of it by murdering your mistake.
Quote:And without the information on what should be mostly available and what should not be mostly available, your poll is useless. I would bet that if you looked more deeply into that poll, you would find that should not be mostly available would show that in the case of rape, incest, or the survival of the mother, the 40% that said should not mostly be available would say it should be available. But again, without the actual information from the poll, your poll is meaningless. On the other hand, listing to the majority of conservatives out there, a large number say as I have said, in the case of rape, incest, or the life of the mother, abortion should be allowed.
Well, I've posted other polls, and have reviewed dozens upon dozens on this topic. Pew Research is another one I look at regularly as they break things down to more of a nitty gritty detail. Well, the number is there. About 10-20% say that abortion should always be illegal, which means that 80-90% of people believe that as a procedure it should be available in some circumstances. What is telling to me is that (according to Pew); "Pew Research Center polling from 2006, for instance, finds that most Americans (73%) believe that abortion is morally wrong in nearly all (24%) or some (49%) circumstances. Only one-in-four (24%) say abortion is not a moral issue. And a 2005 Pew Research Center poll finds that nearly six-in-ten Americans (59%) think it would be a good thing to reduce the number of abortions performed in the United States, compared with only 33% who do not feel this way."
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Nice to see O'Bama working on getting rid of midnight Bush rules - by kandrathe - 03-03-2009, 06:34 AM