Nice to see O'Bama working on getting rid of midnight Bush rules
Quote:You also broke your end of the contract with your employer. In a department store, your job is perform customer service, you refused and you employer terminated your contract. You knew you were going to be performing customer service as part of the job.
Right. But at 17, I was hired for my knowledge of hardware, and not my (mostly total lack) experience with women's underwear. My customer service skills at 17 aside, they knew what they were doing, and I knew what they were doing, so my choice was to either be humiliated, quit, or refuse and let them fire me. It is common practice in department stores to cycle though employees since over time they get raises, and the department store has an eager supply of willing cheaper labor waiting to take over.
Quote:No, I'm stating as I have stated, that medicine is about improving a patient's quality of life, you are trying to define only a small subsection of medicine. There are many diseases out there that cannot be cured/healed, they can only be treated. As such, a medical professionals goal is to improve the quality of life of their patients. I suggest you either get to know some medical professionals or work around them so you understand what they are truly trying to do.
"The purpose of medicine is to prevent significant disease, to decrease pain and to postpone death." -- Dr. Joel J. Nobel. A social worker can improve my quality of life, or I can do it myself by simply moving to a warmer climate. "improving the quality of life" is actually the fundamental purpose of many if not most professions. I'm not be obstinate, I'm disagreeing with you. I think medicine needs to be focused on wellness, or illness and not as another doctor wrote, "Thus, I would describe the ultimate purpose of medicine as follows: to assist all beings to experience unbounded love and joy, and to know this is the essence of who we truly are. This purpose deserves attention fully equal to the relative purpose of curing disease." I believe that person has moved from healer to savior.
Quote:That is their choice. There are also, by your own polls, people stating that a mother should die for a child to have a chance. How screwed up is that? That a woman's life is less important than the potential life of her unborn child that may die with her? It's one thing to play devil's advocate, but to be that insensitive to the life of a woman who's pregnancy could kill her, that's so heartless to be beyond belief.
I think it really depends if you weigh the babies life and the mothers life as equal or not. If the baby is not considered human, at the same level as the mother, then it is easy to decide to chuck the baby. We are also arguing about the slimmest portion of reasons for abortion (~ 5%). The vast proportion of abortions are not done for medical reasons, and this is the ethical debate within our culture.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Nice to see O'Bama working on getting rid of midnight Bush rules - by kandrathe - 03-03-2009, 04:25 PM