Battlenet Account Merger
Quote:Anyone have a knowledgeable opinion on the pros and cons of an account merger beyond blizzard's PR release? Curently I don't have a battlenet account or play any games which require said account. My major concerns are functionality and account security.

I signed up for it last week and have been using it ever since. I did so because I have a bunch of old Blizzard games (D2, Warcraft 3) and plan on getting more in the future (Diablo 3), so it's nice to have all the CD keys and files available in one location in case I ever need to move PC's or reformat or whatever (which seems to happen a few times per year). Kind of the same concept as Steam, except with only Blizzard games.

Anyway, it does change the way you log on. Instead of using your normal account, you use the email address you signed up with. Kind of a pain if you don't check the 'Remember your account name' box. I also added 2 WoW accounts to my Battlenet account, so in addition you have to choose the account you want to use. Looking back I probably shouldn't have bothered, since the 2nd account is an old one from when my wife played. Again, this setting is remembered if you check the 'Remember your account name' box. Everything else is exactly the same.

They had some authentication problems with the service this past Friday which prevented me from raiding, so there are some bugs to be worked out yet. If you don't have a back catalog of Blizzard games floating around and/or don't care about beta testing future Blizzard games I probably wouldn't bother doing it at this point. Yeah that's right- you can automatically sign yourself up to beta test any future Blizzard releases. Entry is not guaranteed, of course.:)

Messages In This Thread
Battlenet Account Merger - by Crushar - 03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Battlenet Account Merger - by --Pete - 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Battlenet Account Merger - by swirly - 03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Battlenet Account Merger - by --Pete - 03-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Battlenet Account Merger - by RTM - 04-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Battlenet Account Merger - by Iolair - 04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Battlenet Account Merger - by Crushar - 04-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Battlenet Account Merger - by Mordekhuul - 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Battlenet Account Merger - by shoju - 04-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Battlenet Account Merger - by Chesspiece_face - 04-09-2009, 10:53 PM