Consumers are too stupid to make good choices
Quote:Ever heard of recycling?
I have. I agree for the building full of them if the person disposing of them is honorable.

Thread necromancy aside, this is a recycled topic which ironically is still relevant.

I have two beefs; the government determining that one thing is better for consumer than another with the mandate and control. Also, the mercury hazard.

Regulating based on pollution hazard would actually make fluorescent bulbs more dangerous than incandescent bulbs, which makes the desired direction odd. Odd in two ways; in the energy it takes to make the bulb, and in the danger to the local environment for a potential accidental break. If the bulb lasts long enough, then it will eventually pay for itself in eneergy saving. I do use some CFL's in my house, in places where the light is on for long periods of time or where clear bright light is needed. But, for most areas in my home, I use 20W to 40W incandescent bulbs.

Recycling is fine for the ones that burn out. But, it is hard to get mercury out of carpeting without replacing the carpet.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694819/

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Consumers are too stupid to make good choices - by kandrathe - 10-09-2009, 11:06 PM